Poll: Is my guitar a Jazz guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is my guitar a Jazz guitar?
Yeah - Its obvious
1 6%
No way! - You just can't play it
3 17%
Probably yes - n who cares?
9 50%
Probably no - n who cares?
5 28%
Voters: 18.
I am no master shredder of sorts.. and know my fenders from my gibsons, but I dont know my rock guitars from my jazz guitars...

The problem here is that when I play my fender it sounds ok, The guitar in question is a 1957 Gretsch acoustic electric.. but the tones dont sound right..

Can I blame it on just being a Jazz guitar ??

Or do you think its because it's a 1957... the amp's and electronics were different back then.. I'm playing it on a marshal 1/2 stack
Last edited by AxeWar at Mar 13, 2008,
For one thing, I think that's a solidbody. I don't think Duo-Jets are hollow in any way.

And no, I don't think that would count as a "jazz" guitar, though it could be used as one. I always associate Gretsch with country and rockabilly, Chet Atkins and all that.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
basically, most any guitar with good enough pickups can pull off a jazz tone with the right amp. Besides that, jazz doesn't mean it has to sound a particular way.

PRS are good guitars in general, so yeah, I suppose they could be. If you want one that looks the part as well as sounds it, I'd suggest an hollowbody of some sort. Epiphone, Hagstrom, something like that.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
yea seriously, that isn't technically a "jazz" guitar.
Anyway, the definition of a jazz guitar, in my experience, is just that it is a semi-hollowbody or full hollowbody electric.

And that duojet is not semi or full hollowbody at all. That's a pretty basic concept just ask youself " does my guitar have f holes in it?" "or is it just really thick for no reason?"
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Any guitar can be used for jazz. However, before solidbody instruments were created, jazz musicians used hollowbodies. So did anyone else that used an electric guitar. It just stuck with the jazz musicians more than it did with the blues and country musicians.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
thats more of a country/rockabilly guitar. The reason it doesn't sound "right" is because Grestch guitars just sound sort of different, plus it has single coils, which usually aren't good with lots of distortion. Badass guitar though.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by AxeWar
Hmm.. wow! Its a rule ?? an f-hole guitar is a jazz guitar?

no it's not a rule, and if you were joking sorry I'm taking it seriously, any guitar can be a "jazz guitar", but i was just making the point that that duojet was not a "jazz" guitar.

typically people refer to hollowbodies as jazz boxes. I just didn't want him to get confused in the lingo, as he clearly didn't know what a "jazz guitar" was supposed to be. I thought that I would define it for him, as the term is accepted by the general public.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
I call shenanigans on this thread. That site is fishy