Page 1 of 5
Yes, the most annoying question pretty much everyone is asked if you have a guitar in hand and people are around you. "Play something!" Gah. So I ask you UG, what do you play? Do you shred and blow their heads off? Do you try to appease them with the most recent pop song? Do you improvise and play whatever you want? Do you sing along to a few simple chords? Or do you take your guitar and bash it over them for asking such an indirect and annoying question?

Rate the Above users song choice if you'd like, keep it on a 5/5 or whatever rating.

My two songs of choice are, depending on which guitar I have or feel like playing

Lenny- Stevie Ray Vaughan (Electric)
Ocean- John Butler Trio (Acoustic, 6 string caz I don't have a 12)

Both are pretty easy, they sound sweet, are at least respectable to even guitar players for your taste in music choice (no Stairway for example), and usually satisfy whoever asked you to play.

Please rate. And if you've never head of Ocean (I just found this song recently) please youtube it, it's a very cool song.
5/5 on Lenny, and 4/5 on Ocean.

I usually play what they ask me to, or play a little thumb n' chicken-pickin', beat holdin' blues, or if it's a girl I play Question by Old 97's, in case they want to marry me.
High as tits
Most non musicians will think you are a weak player if you don't play a "song"

One way to appease them is to start of with some chords and imply some leads over them coming back to the chords improvising. If it was were me id be much more impressed by someone doing that then just running through a song they memorized.
Acoustic-Swing Life Away-Rise Against
Angie-Rolling Stones

Electric-Tarantula-Smashing Pumpkins
eh, depends on gender

most of the time ill just shred, im not a shredder, its just for showing off purposes, doesnt do much for me after the first minute or 2
Staff Sergeant of The Megadeth Military
PM BlackicN to join

Archbishop of Zeppelinism
PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
^i cant rate those songs because ive never heard them

my go to song is rock and roll by led zepp, cuz its fun and sounds good
also i might play some random quick of the draw blues
acoustic - dee

electric-you shook me all night long
My Gear:
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
Vox Night Train 15W
Depends on gear, and gender (read: sexitude) of the inquirer.

If electric: Barracuda! 9/10 times.
If acoustic: Crazy on You.
Really depends on the audience. If it's family, usually something nice like classical gas, benighted, or patterns in the ivy II. Otherwise, Leica by the Faceless because it's fun to play, though metal doesn't tend to go well with non-metalheads.
GMO INC.
E chord on electric
A chord on acoustic

.... then i ask them if there was anything they want to hear
Acoustic, I play Little Wing
Electric, I play Tornado of Souls.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by AngelOfHatred
I don't always play the same song. I'll usually just improvise, anyways.

Same, though my go to song is always Panama by Van Halen. I cycle the second one between Turbo Lover by Judas Priest, Computer Blue by Prince, and You Really Got Me by the Kinks.
hrm Question never head of that song before, just did (youtube) and now im going to keep that in mind when in the distant future I propose haha
5/5 on little wing never heard tornado of souls.

Electric- Voodoo Child (slight return)
Acoustic- Redemption Song
Slide- You Shook Me
Last night - The Strokes
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
5/5 Voodoo Child
4/5 Redemption Song
4/5 on You Shook Me just because I've heard it so much =)
I don't play "songs" by other artists.
I play my own stuff.

On acoustic, I usually do some slide licks or some blues action.
For electric, I usually slap some up-tempo SRV-esque licks, along with my own signature licks.

And for the guy above me (should be imgooley), I say a 5/5 to all of them.
All great songs.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i generally just start playing tritones and atonal solos until they go away.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
It depends on who's asking me. If it's someone I know, and I know what kind of music they like I'll play something they'd like. If I don't know them, I start playing Raining Blood.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
acoustic- over the hills and far away
electric- a little intro with a cool little thing in it, thatgoes to louie louie+ mini solo.

that pretty much satisfies anyone who asks.
Help Out A Dentist; Play Rugby

I have now met 1/5 of the original GNR lineup.
so far: Steven Adler
to go: Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff.

Quote by ReeseKillsHIV

You sir, are a nice person.
for blues fan WHAM by stevie ray vaugn
rock fan eruption
metal fan laid to rest by lamb of god
and jazz fan Niamia by a ray fuller
Country fan well I smash my guitar over there head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got every style covered.
Usually..

classical gas - tommy emmanuel
or something by silverchair, depends who's asking.
if i have all my gear set up and everything and im on my elec ill play voodoo child and some zakk/slash style licks just to show off.

acoustic-under the bridge, usually turns into a fcuking drunk singalong but thats what makes it fun i guess, and if theres chicks around ill play some pop emo crap or something like hawthorne heights. yeah its fcuked up, but chicks like guitar players for a reason.
it all depends whos asking, if its someone dumb or that i dont like i play smoke on the water or a really easy song. if its for my friend i play something like sweet child o mine.
5/5 for smoke on the water because your being sarcastic.
4/5 for the Slashness but overplayedness.

I'm an old school metalhead so I would probably just impale them with my pointy guitar, but if I wasn't feeling so brootal that day I'd play something like 1776, Crystal Mountain, or Seek and Destroy.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Jackson Warrior JS30 upgraded EMG 81/85
Epiphone Silverburst 1966 Reissue G-400
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
Quote by SG Man Forever
It depends on who's asking me. If it's someone I know, and I know what kind of music they like I'll play something they'd like. If I don't know them, I start playing Raining Blood.

I always agree with you for some reason. :p

Yeah. It depends on who. If it's some faggy kid that wants to make me look bad, the sweeps are broken out. If its someone like normal, then i just improvise maybe play a bit of some songs or something. Usually just imrpovisation though.
Scarified intro for most people. If they ask for a whole song then Technical Difficulties by Paul Gilbert. Most people at my high school love it when I instrumental metal for some reason but never listens to it...
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Quote by SQHero
Scarified intro for most people. If they ask for a whole song then Technical Difficulties by Paul Gilbert. Most people at my high school love it when I instrumental metal for some reason but never listens to it...

becuase it looks impressive to watch

whenever im asked to play something i usually just start improvising.

ill start off slow then melt their faces with the Gilbert-esque stuff
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Acoustic - Over The Hills and Far Away (Zeppelin) or Couldn't Get High (Slightly Stoopid)

Electric - Yellow Ledbetter (Pearl Jam), or The Wind Cries Mary (Hendrix)

And if everybody is stoned I'll break out Purple Haze in a reggae rhythm which works surprisingly fecking well!
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
electric - War pigs (Black Sabbath) and Crossroads [intro only] (Cream)
Basically cos none of the people i know know these songs (let alone the bands) and are impressed by something thats nifty and catchy that they've never heard before.

Acoustic - You got it (Roy Orbison)
Fun to sing to and they can join in. But i forbid joining in on the electric
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Quote by Silky Smooth
Most non musicians will think you are a weak player if you don't play a "song"

One way to appease them is to start of with some chords and imply some leads over them coming back to the chords improvising. If it was were me id be much more impressed by someone doing that then just running through a song they memorized.

That's exactly right. I love to jam with chords and licks with a Blues sort of thing, but nobody appreciates it. Playing a song is what they want, but all that is is memorising. I much prefer someone who jams on the spot.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Bass: Killing In The Name, Bulls On Parade, Lean On Me

Acoustic - Sweet Home Alabama, Wanted Dead Or Alive, or Super Marios Bros Theme

Electric - Enter Sandman, Star Spangled Banner
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

John Frusciante - Murderers
Nile - Lashed to the Slave Stick
Super Colossal by Joe Satriani
Cannon Rock by Jerry C( 3/4) of it though...
If its a computer game fan, I'll play the Mjolnir Mix by Steve Vai..
If their hardcore, Beast and the Harlot by Avenged Sevenfold
If they just want to see something lame, Through the fire and the flames intro, playing from the top of the neck...

What I really would like to do is nail my finger tapping with Erruption-EVH and War by Joe Satriani, as well as Surfing with the Alien...ftw
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
Marshall MG15DFX(Practice amp)
Peavey Classic Rocker 30/Vox AC15( Coming soon)
POD X3 Live..xD
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special(In my dreams...)
Last edited by shadowbane91 at Mar 14, 2008,
I like Blue Oyster Cult's Don't Fear the Reaper, because it's a song that a lot of people have heard at some point but can't quite place. I find that it drives people crazy trying to think of what song it is. I also like Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town by Pearl Jam if I'm on my acoustic. Sometimes I'll play something like Crazy Train or Master of Puppets if I know that the person wants something familiar. I also like Running with the Devil because it's pretty well-known, and if I feel like showing off my killswitch I'll play Jordan, because that's the only Buckethead song that anyone knows anyways. I should learn to play Eruption. And Hey There Delilah with alternate parody vocals as seen in http://youtube.com/watch?v=7IQDH0zOqzg
Studies show that 89.27% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
5/5 for the BOC.

4/5 for Crazy Train because it is cool but not my favorite.

4.5 for the rest
Page 1 of 5