So I'm buying a Budda amp. I just don't know if I should get 18 or 30 watts? Input?
I need to order it by tomorrow. So I only have a few hours to decide.
Where you ordering it from? Have you even tried it first?
What is the price difference between them? What kind of stuff will you be doing with it (gigs, recording, practice).
Make sure you want it before you empty your wallet on it (Buddas AREN'T cheap.)
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
High as tits
Last edited by Suicidal_Brick at Mar 13, 2008,
^Yeah. Those are hawt amps too.
Basically whatever wattage you think you need really. Maybe the extra headroom of the 30 watt would be nice, but the 18 may be able to get more overdrive at a lower volume. Great for recording.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
^Yeah. Those are hawt amps too.
Basically whatever wattage you think you need really. Maybe the extra headroom of the 30 watt would be nice, but the 18 may be able to get more overdrive at a lower volume. Great for recording.

That's the thing...I'd want to overdrive form the 18. But the 30 would be better to play with the band. I'd be using it more for my own practice and recording, but still I'd need to be able to hear it with a full band.
Maybe the 30 and an attenuator perhaps? You can have the 30 watts for gigs, and when you record and practice and stuff like that, you can attenuate it down to the proper volume while getting all that great Budda OD. If you get a weber MASS attenuator, you also have a line out, which could be handy for gigs and recording.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
An attenuator? Care to explain please? I don't know much about them...
EDIT: Also, gigs aren't going to be coming any time soon, so I'm not worried about them...
Oh, here is a link to the Weber ones (one of the best, and one of the most affordable on the market): http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

Essentially, it allows you to crank the amp, and get all of that OD, but at reasonable volumes.

EDIT: I still kind of recommend the 30 over the 18. Why exactly do you need to order it this soon? Maybe you should sit and think about it for a while.
The weber MASS series is the one you want.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Suicidal_Brick

the 30 won't be twice as loud, it's a factor of 10x to make it perceived as twice as loud. doubling the power is +3db, basically the lowest increment the ear can perceive as a volume difference. It's all about clean headroom.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
30 watts isn't twice as loud as the 18, but it'll be a bit louder. The major difference would be clean headroom.

I would favor power tube distortion over cleans. I barely play clean stuff, and when I do, I kind of like it gritty, anyway. So I would personally go for a 18 watt amp for the ability to crank it.
Quote by darkarbiter7
Oh, here is a link to the Weber ones (one of the best, and one of the most affordable on the market): http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

Essentially, it allows you to crank the amp, and get all of that OD, but at reasonable volumes.

EDIT: I still kind of recommend the 30 over the 18. Why exactly do you need to order it this soon? Maybe you should sit and think about it for a while.

Also check out the Ultimate Attenuator, I haven't tried the MASS before but I tried a few for my JCM800 and the Ultimate Attenuator made the least changes to my sound

Site
http://www.ultimateattenuator.com/

Review
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Magus+Innovations/Ultimate+Attenuator/10/1
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Last edited by blues-guitarist at Mar 13, 2008,
I guess it really doesn't matter what the wattage is.
Just, 30 for higher volume cleans, 18 for lower volume overdrive.
Basically, it's a win/win situation though, it's a friggin budda.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7

Thanks for the info man.
Quote by Erock503
the 30 won't be twice as loud, it's a factor of 10x to make it perceived as twice as loud. doubling the power is +3db, basically the lowest increment the ear can perceive as a volume difference. It's all about clean headroom.

So, basically what your saying is, that if I were to get the 30 watt, I could still crank it and get the distortion, without it being insanely louder than 18watts, but have better clean headroom?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Umm...You COULD still crank it, and get normal preamp distortion and a bit of power tube breakup, but you wouldn't get the same level of power tube saturation as the 18 watter at a comparable volume.

Alright, thanks. The reason I'm asking is because I agree completely with what you said about prefering a more 'gritty' sound, rather than perfectly clean. I'd just rather have more headroom.
I think that is what I am going to do. This way I can still crank it, and get the overdriven sound (At the higher volume, but still...).
But also have a nice clean sound, which will be nice compared to the new Randy Rhoads 1959RR Marshall I've been looking at =D
your buying a 30 watt amp for head room compared to a 100 watt amp your looking at? I dunno if you've ever played a plexi but to get a nice crunch they need to be ridiculously loud. Granted they are not completely clean but it would have plenty of head room.

either way the budda will sound great.