Page 1 of 2
I was going to purchase a Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt (click link to see).

While at the local store I saw the Vox Valvetronix AD30VT (click link to see).

I know the Vox is tubed, and its basically a choice between these two amps because I need something in this size and prize range. Is the Spider III neccessarily better because it has more watts (75 to 30) and has more presets compared to the Vox (400 compared to 11)? I know most of the presets wont be used but which amp is a better buy? Is the Spider also alot louder then the Vox?

I also know there is a Spider Valve but that is too expensive so please dont suggest that

Opinions please!

EDIT: I play mostly metal if that helps.
Ibanez RG350DX - ESP LTD EC-500

Peavey JSX 212 Combo - Digitech RP 250
Personally I don't have a problem with the Line 6 Spider series...

but this is a question that you NEVER ask here on UG.

I will answer for every other member of UG right now - "SPIDER!!??? NOOOOO!!! Get the Vox!"
"SPIDER!!??? NOOOOO!!! Get the Vox!"
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Tubes > Solid states. Anytime

A 30 watt tube can be much louder and sound much better than a 30 watt solid state (like the spider III)

Get the vox!
Quote by N1ck0
Is the Spider III neccessarily better because it has more watts (75 to 30) and has more presets compared to the Vox (400 compared to 11)?

Wattage never determines how good an amp is, look into a roland cube if you want a solid state.
Quote by forsaknazrael
This should be in the GGA forum.

Have you looked at a Roland Cube 60, threadstarter?

EDIT: Wait, your sig says JSX?? Why are you looking at these amps?

good question
SPIDER!!??? NOOOOO!!! Get the Vox!

seriously though...
Bought for a few pennies
Now you're all just empty
Fucking soulless machines
RIP YOU APART!!!

-All Shall Perish

Quote by forsaknazrael
The Vox mentioned isn't a tube amp, anyway. It's a hybrid.
Ohhh.. I've been pwnt then
Quote by forsaknazrael
It's okay.

Yeah, it's basically the same as a solid state. Still, sounds nice, though. Nicer than the Spider.

Oohh..
Still, NOOO! GET THE VOX!
I have the vox... i love it.

But I have a question.... It has a pre-amp tube. The only Vox SS that I have used is a DA5 and it doesn't sound like a valvetronix (I have also used a DA15 but I own the DA5). So the pre amp tube makes a big difference, right?
Quote by imgooley
I have the vox... i love it.

But I have a question.... It has a pre-amp tube. The only Vox SS that I have used is a DA5 and it doesn't sound like a valvetronix (I have also used a DA15 but I own the DA5). So the pre amp tube makes a big difference, right?

No, the tube is for the power amp section, the preamp is digital. Personally i think it sounds very good. The tube in the poweramp section means that it doesn't get shrill when you turn it up.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
moved
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
i love my vox, i get great sound out of it, from my expirience it is way better then the spider. the only thing is the vox doesn't have the best distortion, but a pedal works great. thats what i did
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
Vox for sure. You will regret the spider. They arnt bad in my opinion if your just starting guitar, but even then there are better options like a roland cube or something
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I have a 50 watt Vox Valvetronix and I am very happy with it. You can get a great variety of tones from it. The clean amp models played with my Schecter sound amazing.
I am going to go against everyone who has posted here so far in this thread and say go for the Spider III. I own the Spider III 75W and my friend owns the Vox Valetronix 50W tube amp (and this is comparing the 50W version of the Vox, instead of the 30W version like the OP mentioned). I have messed around quite a bit on my friends Vox, but I cannot seem to get a good distortion sound out of that thing. However, out of my Spider III, the distortion I can get sounds really good actually ( I own a Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack) with my guitar. the Spiders effects are also a bit better IMO, but I don't use them much anyways. I do have to admit though, I like the cleans better on the Vox than the Line 6, but since youre going to be playing Metal, I would not get the Vox, its distortion is too muddy for me.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Quote by Metalcoresoul
I am going to go against everyone who has posted here so far in this thread and say go for the Spider III. I own the Spider III 75W and my friend owns the Vox Valetronix 50W tube amp (and this is comparing the 50W version of the Vox, instead of the 30W version like the OP mentioned). I have messed around quite a bit on my friends Vox, but I cannot seem to get a good distortion sound out of that thing. However, out of my Spider III, the distortion I can get sounds really good actually ( I own a Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack) with my guitar. the Spiders effects are also a bit better IMO, but I don't use them much anyways. I do have to admit though, I like the cleans better on the Vox than the Line 6, but since youre going to be playing Metal, I would not get the Vox, its distortion is too muddy for me.

If he wants good gain, he could get the XL model.

A spider is a good amp for a beginner. That is all. I have one and I would rather use my vox DA5 than the spider.
play both, you might even like the spider more.
spiders do not sound that bad :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJyZiamX3mc
this guy gets a good tone from a spider 2.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Last edited by Slayer566 at Mar 14, 2008,
Go with the vox, i liked it, the spider had a better low volume metal tone though, but the vox didnt sound like crap when it was loud
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by sirlimecat
Go with the vox, i liked it, the spider had a better low volume metal tone though, but the vox didnt sound like crap when it was loud

One of the great things about the Vox is that it has adjustable wattage, so you can still crank it without blasting it. It's easier to get a nice natural distortion that way too.
Wait, your sig says JSX?? Why are you looking at these amps?

Im wondering about that also
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
He probably wants a practice amp.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Vox is a classier amp. I like the way they sound and look. My next amp will be a vox. Have a Marshall 100w valvstate amp.
N1ck0,
I don't know where you are in Canada, but if you're in the Vancouver area, not only can I heartily recommend the Vox over the spider, but I just happen to have one of the blue faced AD60VT's for sale with the VC-4 foot controller. They don't make either any more, are super versatile (they have more amp models, stomp models, and you can use more of them together than the silver faced ones). You can also dial in the wattage from 5/15/30/60. Pretty sweet. I love it but don't need it anymore. Cheers.
vox sounds rich and can be fitted into any tone
spiders sound digital and ****ty
and voxes are louder.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

I will answer for every other member of UG right now - "SPIDER!!??? NOOOOO!!! Get the Vox!"

i agree.... go vox
Looks like I can be quite a bit of help here.

My main amp is a Boogie Mark IV, not is a very elaborate rig, that I have yet to post here I was on the hunt for a practice amp, and after reading all the praise, ended up with the Valvetronix. I play PRS Singlecuts with Duncans through the amp.

I've spent over a year with my Valvetronix now. Great little amp, but it DEFINITELY has its drawbacks too.

It has a GREAT clean...can't deny it that. But, in my experiences, one the gain channels, especially at lower volumes, which is all I ever use the amp for, the amp lacks presence...it sounds like you threw a huge blanket over it, and you can't get it off. Next, the gain is muddy, and has an odd EQ curve...the controls at the same time don't help very much...they do mold the tone a bit, but I still hear that odd EQ curve. It cured a bit of the mud with a preamp tube swap, but after a while, I found that it still wasn't good enough.

When I practice, I play mostly metal, so I needed a new solution. Spider IIs can be had WAY cheap now adays.....I got a 75 Watt head for $75....$1 per watt is not bad . I just bought an Avatar 2x12 cab for it, and I believe it will be a GREAT solution for my Metal practice needs.

So, believe it or not, from the Boogie Tube amp owner, I suggest the Line 6. There is way too much **** against the amp on this forum...sure, it doesn't sound like a roaring tube amp, but at the same time, nothing but a tube amp does. The Line 6 DEFINITELY has its place....I have yet to find an amp that has a clearer high gain at such low volumes.
$300 USD will get you a good used tube combo or a new one. If you need to have solid state check out the Peavey Transtubes, second choice Roland Cubes.
Personally, I wouldn't go for either. I'm a former Vox owner (gave it to my little brother at Xmas) and with hindsight, it is a pretty bad amp. The speaker is nasty, there is a terrible issue with ungodly noises coming through the amp on any high gain model, or when you play at high volume. The only redeeming factor is the Fender and AC15 models. The others I could do without. The Line 6 is a terrible amp too. I borrowed one when my first Vox broke (as well as borrowing a neighbours MG15) and it was rubbish too. I don't even have to tell anyone why as it is so well documented.

I would get a Valveking Royal 8, Ibanez Valbee, Blackheart and a boost, or even save a little more and get a Mini Colossal.

Vox and Line 6 won't cut it, unless you are going full valve.
Honestly, I think that most people that diss modeling amps really have never taken the time to sit down and tweak them and know mostly what they are doing. Christian Guitar has plenty of people that own the Spider III and love the tones they get out of them.

Here's a sample from one of the guys from CGR running through a Spider III, no FX:

http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=84204&d=1205342698

the song is Back in Black from AC/DC
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Page 1 of 2