Hey guys question here,

I've heard a lot of things about how you should set you pickups as close to the strings as possible, then just as much saying this kills your sustain, and I was just wondering, how far should I set the pickups to my strings?
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
play around with the height till you find what's right for you, I've seen guys that have their pickups set below the pickguard. I definately would not suggest seting them as close to the strings as possible though....
about 1/8" is what my lutherie teacher recommends... it can vary a bit depending on the output of the pickup, active/passif, depending on your type of playing, if the pick gets in the way... but that should be your starting point

Edit: also, depending on the pickup configuration, either S-S-S/H-H/H-S-H, having the pickups too close to the strings can kill your sustain, keep that in mind aswell
Last edited by velly69 at Mar 14, 2008,
its all your preferance, take an hour or so, sit down and really experiment with the tone and sustain, theres no official recommended height really
Quote by velly69
about 1/8" is what my lutherie teacher recommends... it can vary a bit depending on the output of the pickup, active/passif, depending on your type of playing, if the pick gets in the way... but that should be your starting point

Edit: also, depending on the pickup configuration, either S-S-S/H-H/H-S-H, having the pickups too close to the strings can kill your sustain, keep that in mind aswell

Two humbuckers, passive
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Like Etays69 said, take a few minutes to play around with your guitar. Pay attention do the difference in sounds while setting the pups higher/lower. Its all about how YOU want it to sound. Once again, 1/8" is what we're tought to keep it at while doing a general set-up. I've also seen ppl put different heights on the same pup: higher near the high-E, lower on the low-E sides. Mess around with it, maybe you can find a cool sound for the style of playing you have!
okay, thanks for the advice, I figured I was gonna have to figure it out myself, but basically, as close to the strings as possible = bad?
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!