Hi all,

I am looking for a versatile tube amp that can cover blues to heavy metal. Preferably 50W or less. I live in an apartment and 100W watt heads would be too loud. Even 50W is quite loud actually.

I am looking at combos or head + 2x12.

I saw a Marshall DSL401 combo for quite cheap. Is it a good amp for this purpose?
What do you guys recommend?
Gear
MIJ Fender '57 Stratocaster
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
Well, 50W and 100W arnt a huge difference in volume actually. The DSL401 is pretty good, but i hear the speaker is crap. Look into a peavey valveking maybe?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
you want the Peavey JSX combo.
apart from the loudness issue.... its perfectamundo
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Im looking for a Marshall kind of crunch. Can those american based amps give the marshall crunch?
Gear
MIJ Fender '57 Stratocaster
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
Perhaps a Marshall JCM900 combo could work? I believe they come in 50W forms. It's a little less "Marshall" than a JCM800 but a little more than a DSL. A lot of people actually love them for blues as well and have heard of a few people buying them for that purpose only. They have quite a bit of gain on tap but you'll still probably need an OD to boost it into modern metal tones. You should be able to get Iron Maiden and earlier Metallica by itself.

Possibly look into a Mesa Stilleto as well, they're more Marshally voiced but they only come in head form if I remember right.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I would recommend a Mesa Mark IV or a RoadKing but I dont have your pricerange.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
You really have to crank the 800/900 Marshalls to get to heavier tones, in which case you might invest in an attenuator. DSL is quite good though and can get heavy at low volumes, depending on what guitar/pickups you have.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Well I bought a DSL401 because I wanted a versatile, flexable amp that still sounded great. I am very happy with it
Peavey Classic 30 anyone? 30watts, which can be manageable because it has a drive channel, but it can get feckin' loud if you need
Carvin V3 maybe?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Get a new JVM combo. I got the 50 watt 2x12 and it is downright amazing, right outta the box.

Best clean on a Marshall that I have ever heard.

Overall, sounds quite a bit fuller than my buddies jcm2000 tsl 60 watt 2x12.

It's based on the same power circuit as a 1959 Superleads and jcm800 2203s ala Zakk Wylde.
I had a DSL401 and wasn't terribly impressed with it after I had an opportunity to some other things. The Traynor YCV50BLUE did a lot more for me and nailed the old Marshall overdrive sound just about perfectly.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM