I was told today that Peavey is a Fender knock-off brand, is there any truth to this statement?
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Hmmm... well IMO Peavey amps are superior to Fender but Fender makes better guitars... so I don't see how they could be a knock off company?
uhh in terms of guitars? most companies make knock offs of Fender and/or Gibson designs. As for amps, IMO they sound very different.

if you are asking if Fender owns Peavey, then no they don't.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
uhh in terms of guitars? most companies make knock offs of Fender and/or Gibson designs. As for amps, IMO they sound very different.

if you are asking if Fender owns Peavey, then no they don't.

I think that he was referring to amps
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Fender > Peavey in my book, but....

I wouldn't call Peavey a knock-off brand of Fender... Admittedly their 'clean' amp tones are modeled largely after the Fender Blackface (1960s) clean tones; but then again so are 90% of other amplifiers, from Mesas to Diezels to Crates to Traynors... I'd say their distortion amp sounds are in pursuit of Marshal crunch and Mesa roar, which they largely succeed in, and again pretty much everyone else is also chasing those tones.

Their guitars, besides the extreme low-end strat knock-offs, are completely their own as a brand and are far more similar to say PRS or Schector instruments than Fenders. Even there they're very much their own though. And in terms of build quality all Peavey products are bulletproof tanks, even the cheap stuff from them holds up better than most other company's work. That level of quality also seems fairly consistent with them...

Again though, personally I'm a Fender (guitar and amp), Vox, Orange, and HiWatt fanatic.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Hmmm... well IMO Peavey amps are superior to Fender

you = (imo)

'nuff said
Quote by Metalcoresoul
I think that he was referring to amps

then no not really, i mean the clean circuits are somewhat based on Fenders, but Peavey specializes more in higher gain stuff.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm