New to active pick ups. Bought a Clapton Signature Series Strat and I am led to believe that the vintage noiseless pick ups are active. Well my girlfriend picked me up a Fender Champion 300 amp and I plugged the guitar into it with a 15 ft. thick gauge noise reducing cable and I get no sound out of the first or second input. I can't even get sounds in headphones. I plugged in a passive pick up'd strat copy into the input and still no sound. Before I take it back and have the shop guys look it over is there anything I should know about using active pick-ups? For example do i have to use shorter and cheaper quality cables?
i have no idea if you guitar is active but if its active it should have a 9v battery somewhere inside it. take off the electronic covers. if you find it replace and problem should be solved.
Quote by fibaz
New to active pick ups. Bought a Clapton Signature Series Strat and I am led to believe that the vintage noiseless pick ups are active. Well my girlfriend picked me up a Fender Champion 300 amp and I plugged the guitar into it with a 15 ft. thick gauge noise reducing cable and I get no sound out of the first or second input. I can't even get sounds in headphones. I plugged in a passive pick up'd strat copy into the input and still no sound. Before I take it back and have the shop guys look it over is there anything I should know about using active pick-ups? For example do i have to use shorter and cheaper quality cables?

Well, since the passive pickup guitar didn't work either, it's either the cable or the amp. Also, active pickups usually have more output than passives, so you'd get away with longer cables.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Theres something youre missing with the amp Im sure...a button or a knob you havent turned on. Either that or your cable is broken.

Think about it...both guitars dont work, so it has to be something else...
Thanks for the suggestions and ideas so quickly. I plugged it into a different outlet in the house, turned it up master volume, turned up the independent gain volume, turned up the fx volume, and it sounded like crap, still had to turn it up high but thats more volume than usual. Even messing with the tone controls it sounds horribly wrong. Tried rolling the highs and mids off but it didn't help. Swapped out several cables, same thing. I'm thinking it is the amp. Going to take the amp and the guitar back to the store they were bought at and going to have them look at them in any event. I plugged into a multi-effects pedal straight to headphones and the sound was excellent. I don't want to start taking parts off of it just yet, rather watch them do it first since this is my baby.
try a new cable
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
All cables were brand new except for the first cable I plugged in with. Had to tear the packaging off of the cables before i plugged in. Messed with all the volume knobs and whatnot too. So it is time take it back down there to see about getting it repaired or replaced.