hey guys, i just got a cube 60, and im having trouble getting a good tone out of it, i got the cube 60 to replace my spider 75, and i just cant get it to sound nearly as good as my spider did, the cube sounds so fake and drowned out sounding compared to the spider, but i know cubes are supposed to be tons better than the spiders. i like to play metal, and just cant get a good tone out of any of the higher distortion models such as the rectifier, im still somewhat new to EQ, and i was wondering is that my problem? am i just not setting EQ good? because it just sounds terrible....compared to the spider, and everyone always says how bad the spiders are to the cubes. But then again i have tried so many different EQ settings, and just cant get it.
Gear:

Ibanez RGT42DX
Boss MT-2
Maybe you should just getter a better amp.
My guitar gear:
Epiphone G-400
Kasuga Les Paul Custom (Broken nut)
Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553 head
Marshall Silver Jubilee 2x12 cab

My bass gear:
Gibson SG EB-3 1963
Dynacord Eminent II
Marshall 4x10 cab

Rest is in profile
keep playing with it. i have one and like it. it gives you a bunch of options, so you can make any sound come out. find one you like.
I have no opinion on this matter.
^ yes that too. The roland cube is a good solid state amp and they're very versatile. Just keep playing with it and you'll find something you like. I got a tone I like out of a behringer, so i'ts possible :P
Quote by fretsonfire74
did you just get it? Because if it's new, then its hard to get aquainted with new gear.

yep i got it earlier today
Gear:

Ibanez RGT42DX
Boss MT-2
Quote by JustinT80
yep i got it earlier today

yeah well in a day, its going to be hard to find a tone you like with most amps. Just keep fiddling with it.
For the rec setting I'll give u the settings I like.

BASS: 11 o clock
MID: 1 o clock
TREBLE: 12 o clock
PRESENCE 3 o clock
REVERB: 2 o clock
GAIN: 12 o clock.

Seems pretty darn nice to me for a solid state. Try it out and tell me if you like it.
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
Quote by Xplozive
For the rec setting I'll give u the settings I like.

BASS: 11 o clock
MID: 1 o clock
TREBLE: 12 o clock
PRESENCE 3 o clock
REVERB: 2 o clock
GAIN: 12 o clock.

Seems pretty darn nice to me for a solid state. Try it out and tell me if you like it.

allright ill try that out when i get home tommarow, everyones asleep so i cant play right now, ill make sure to tell you how it went. thanks
Gear:

Ibanez RGT42DX
Boss MT-2
If Im sweeping or doing other shredlike things, I use these settings on my cube:

Rec setting
Bass: 8:00 (bass on the cube can be overwhelming so you dont need very much)
Mid: 4:00
Treble: 2:00
Presence: 12:00
Gain: 3:00

Delay nearly all the way up (Also be sure to use you neck/rhythm pick up for a good tone with these settings)

For a more heavy Metallica/Megadeth sound use these settings

Rec setting
Bass: 12:00
Mid: 8:00
Treble: 4:00
Presence: 12:00
Gain: 4:00

Reverb at about a quarter of the way up (also be sure to use you bridge pickup)
I hate to be a git, but it just sounds like you don't really know what a good sound is as opposed to a nasty one. The Cubes sound a lot nicer than the Spiders to me, but if you've only really ever owned the Spider and haven't been playing long then your ears are going to be using the Spider as their reference point...your brain could simply be interpreting "different" as "not as good".

Just muck around with it a bit more, and don't automatically whack the gain up full because that doesn't always make a great sound.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I hate to be a git, but it just sounds like you don't really know what a good sound is as opposed to a nasty one. The Cubes sound a lot nicer than the Spiders to me, but if you've only really ever owned the Spider and haven't been playing long then your ears are going to be using the Spider as their reference point...your brain could simply be interpreting "different" as "not as good".

Just muck around with it a bit more, and don't automatically whack the gain up full because that doesn't always make a great sound.

Yup, I just got myself a Cube 30, and it's different but nice. Allthough I'm having some trouble getting a decent blues tone out of it. (A tone with a little drive, but not too much.) It just sounds too electric for me. But the Cube is growing on me day by day, Although I'm considering getting a Jackhammer Marshall pedal or a Ts-9 or something along those lines to buff the amp up a little.
I'd say use the Fender or AC30 models for blues
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
if you like the spider better return the cube
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Quote by fretsonfire74
yeah well in a day, its going to be hard to find a tone you like with most amps. Just keep fiddling with it.

give me a Triple Rectifier or an HD147 and Ill show you good tone in under 2 minutes.

If you dont like it, you can always just take it back. I think Cubes should be better than Spiders but the difference isnt mind blowing. Personally, Id take it back, get my money back and save up for a tube combo.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by steven seagull
I'd say use the Fender or AC30 models for blues

Oooh, I was just using the Metal one Nah, but I just can't get satisfied with my tone, I'm allways like that tho. Always a little something missing even if I'm playing through a Tube amp.

Quote by Walternativo
give me a Triple Rectifier or an HD147 and Ill show you good tone in under 2 minutes.

If you dont like it, you can always just take it back. I think Cubes should be better than Spiders but the difference isnt mind blowing. Personally, Id take it back, get my money back and save up for a tube combo.

Well I got the 30W Cube for around 100 $ tell me where I can get a tube combo with the same loudness and variety for that price

I dare you!
If you liked the Spider, why'd you get a cube? Just because people say it's better, doesn't mean it is... I hate the sound of the Cubes, but I love the sound of my Spider.
I just put the gain at max on the Rfier and tinker with the other settings, suits most metal.
If it doesnt sound better than your line 6... then I dont know what to say.

Im assuming you play metal?

Put that **** on Rfier, or whatever, and turn your mids down to like 4ish and crank the gain up and the volume to where you want. Sounds great to me.
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
Quote by JilaX^

Well I got the 30W Cube for around 100 $ tell me where I can get a tube combo with the same loudness and variety for that price

I dare you!

you cant. But is that really necessary? If you HAVE an amp (spider), theres no rush to get louder and more varied that fast. More rush to get killer tone and even more loudness (tube combo).

youre totally right about the price tho, for that kinda cash the cube is hard to beat.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
for amps like these i always look them up on youtube for settings...

example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J3caoAvXE

if you just cant get it to sound good then maybe it's time to move onto a small tube combo.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011