g'day UG

i havent posted on here for a little while but here goes

- i was just reading stuff about adam from KsE n it said he had a noise supressor.. i kno nooby question.. but what does it do

- what would be the best type of pedal to start with ( I mainly play stuff like KsE stuff like that )

- what does a delay pedal do aswell

much thanks in advance

-bryton
New Playlist On My Profile

Quote by chll
i think she's a horny type girl

cuz 1 tym io remember she asked me to kiss her
Last edited by BFMVrrule at Mar 14, 2008,
A Noise Suppressor? You may mean a noise gate, which is basically an aid to people who can't play cleanly or play with high gain.

Normally, when playing with distortion or gain, a player would mute the other strings from ringing out with their hands, but with high gain, it can sometimes be difficult. The Noise Gate or Suppressor will keep the softer notes from being audible making your playing seem cleaner, at the sacrifice of sustain and some tone.

What's KsE?

EDIT: OH, Killswitch Engage...start off with a distortion pedal I guess, probably a BOSS pedal, they're built like tanks.

Delay pedals basically make the note repeat itself in a sort of echo after you pause playing for a bit. (I think)
Last edited by XianXiuHong at Mar 14, 2008,
ohhk bro thanks for that.. umm killswitch engage

Quote by chll

ohhk thank you for being so helpful.. it might be usefull to kno what gear i have aswell.. well i have a laney lx35r 35 watt amp and an epiphone sg

Quote by chll

Your amp's solid state right? (Solid-State is a digital amp, when you turn a solid-state amp on and plug in, you can get sounds from the guitar at whatever volume you want instantly, with a Valve or a Tube amp, you need to let the amplifier tubes warm up, solid-state amps process your sound through circuits and tube amps process your sound naturally.)

I'd say get a distortion pedal since your amp's solid state, the tone you can get out of a solid-state amp alone is not good and once your ear is trained for good/bad tone, you'll notice that the solid state amp's tone is atrocious to a valve amp.
nah.. im actually pretty sure it might be a valve, i turn the amp on adn i have to wait around a second or 2 until i hear the guitar

Quote by chll

Quote by BFMVrrule
nah.. im actually pretty sure it might be a valve, i turn the amp on adn i have to wait around a second or 2 until i hear the guitar

Nope, I just checked the internet, it's a Solid-State amp, a tube amp takes around a minute to warm up.
Quote by BFMVrrule

No... you haven't. It's solid state. Tube/valves will take about 30 seconds to warm up, and there'll be a standby switch.

I'm amazed at the nooby responses in this thread. XianXiuHong, I suggest you do some research before answering someone who needs information.

Let's start off: a noise gate will basically stop unwanted noise from coming through when you're not playing. It will NOT stop unwanted notes from ringing out... noise gates aren't intelligent. So long as the volume of your guitar is past a certain level, it will let everything through, except for background noise (electrical hum, etc.).

Secondly, don't buy a BOSS pedal. They sound like crap, especially if you're going to be playing it through a solid state. I suggest you save up and get yourself a better amp, basically. A good pedal (which the BOSS distortions aren't) will sound crap through a cheap amp.
Quote by webbtje
No... you haven't. It's solid state. Tube/valves will take about 30 seconds to warm up, and there'll be a standby switch.

I'm amazed at the nooby responses in this thread.

Let's start off: a noise gate will basically stop unwanted noise from coming through when you're not playing. It will NOT stop unwanted notes from ringing out... noise gates aren't intelligent. So long as the volume of your guitar is past a certain level, it will let everything through, except for background noise (electrical hum, etc.).

Secondly, don't buy a BOSS pedal. They sound like crap, especially if you're going to be playing it through a solid state. I suggest you save up and get yourself a better amp, basically. A good pedal (which the BOSS distortions aren't) will sound crap through a cheap amp.

I didn't say unwanted notes, I said softer notes, when playing with high gain, play one fretted note and the other strings will ring out in sympathy, a noise gate will cover that.

Mhm, they sound like crap don't they? It's all about preference and the tone I get from my BOSS Pedal (even though nearly no-one likes it on this forum) is just fine.

I suggest you READ my post properly before calling it a nooby response

EDIT: Noise Gate: A noise gate is an electronic device or software logic that is used to control the volume of an audio signal. They are commonly used in the recording studio and sound reinforcement. Small portable units are also used by rock musicians to control unwanted noise from their amplification systems.

I just turned on my amp, and turned the noise gate all the way up, I don't need to use my hands to mute the strings when I don't strum them, they are silent but when I turn the noise gate off, the strings ring out with the high gain.

ok thanks for the helpful responses... XianXiuHong youre a ledgend

Quote by chll

Quote by webbtje

really? last time i checked, i own a bunch of boss pedals, and they all sound good, not like crap............
Quote by XianXiuHong
I didn't say unwanted notes, I said softer notes, when playing with high gain, play one fretted note and the other strings will ring out in sympathy, a noise gate will cover that.

Mhm, they sound like crap don't they? It's all about preference and the tone I get from my BOSS Pedal (even though nearly no-one likes it on this forum) is just fine.

Don't call my response nooby

A. No. No they will not, as they will be far too loud for the noise gate's tolerance to discriminate. Do you own one? Have you ever even used one?

B. Cut the political correctness. BOSS are overpriced, lack true bypass (your bypassed tone will be affected-again, this is objective, not an opinion), and much better tone can be had from cheaper pedals for that kind of tone. Example? OK, EHX Metal Muff with Top Boost. In fact, most of the pedals EHX offers blow BOSS out of the water for less money. Boss market themselves to beginners, you'll notice, just like Spiders and MGs. Ever wonder why?

C. You've been here a short amount of time. Sorry for jumping to conclusions, but when someone hasn't been around for long and delivers answers which are wrong (which your noise gate comments certainly are), I can't stop myself from being harsh.
Quote by corp769
really? last time i checked, i own a bunch of boss pedals, and they all sound good, not like crap............

nah man dont listen to him.. doesnt seem like a very decent person to me

Quote by chll

Quote by webbtje
A. No. No they will not, as they will be far too loud for the noise gate's tolerance to discriminate. Do you own one? Have you ever even used one?

B. Cut the political correctness. BOSS are overpriced, lack true bypass (your bypassed tone will be affected-again, this is objective, not an opinion), and much better tone can be had from cheaper pedals for that kind of tone. Example? OK, EHX Metal Muff with Top Boost. In fact, most of the pedals EHX offers blow BOSS out of the water for less money. Boss market themselves to beginners, you'll notice, just like Spiders and MGs. Ever wonder why?

C. You've been here a short amount of time. Sorry for jumping to conclusions, but when someone hasn't been around for long and delivers answers which are wrong (which your noise gate comments certainly are), I can't stop myself from being harsh.

A. So my VOX must be some sort of super amp with its noise gate.

B. I got my pedal for about $100 and I tried every other pedal I could get my hands on in the store/several other stores, the BOSS pedal was better than all of the others I tried.

C. I don't take a harsh response kindly, perhaps I wouldn't have reacted like this if you didn't call my response nooby and acted arrogantly.
Quote by BFMVrrule
nah man dont listen to him.. doesnt seem like a very decent person to me

Oh. So we're going to ignore my contributions to the site purely on the basis of my disagreeing with someone who's recommending stuff which is wrong?
no not at all im jus saying you could have handled that differently

Quote by chll

Quote by XianXiuHong
A. So my VOX must be some sort of super amp with its noise gate.

B. I got my pedal for about $100 and I tried every other pedal I could get my hands on in the store/several other stores, the BOSS pedal was better than all of the others I tried.

C. I don't take a harsh response kindly, perhaps I wouldn't have reacted like this if you didn't call my response nooby and acted arrogantly.

A. Maybe you just play cleanly? Also,,kindly tell me which Vox amp has an inbuilt noise gate?

B. Sure it did. Note my comments about marketing to relative beginners, please.

C. My sincere apologies. But misleading relatively inexperienced people =
Quote by webbtje
Oh. So we're going to ignore my contributions to the site purely on the basis of my disagreeing with someone who's recommending stuff which is wrong?

I use the noise gate on my VOX and it basically does what I said in my other post.

Recommending stuff which is wrong? The only thing I "recommended" was a BOSS pedal, and it was barely a recommendation, it was a suggestion.

EDIT: My VOX AD30VT has a noise reduction feature on it for playing with high gain, you hold down the TAP button and turn the EDIT 1 knob clockwise to increase noise reduction.
Because my laptop started to freeze, I lost my previous post, but got a print screen in (too lazy to type it all again )

Ah sod it, damn thing keeps crashing when I try to make long posts.

In short Xing____ (will edit with actual name) you sound like a complete n00b, incorrectly defined a noise supressor/gate, and are going by judgement you've made in a very short time by the sounds of it.

Last edited by last_biscuit at Mar 14, 2008,
^^ thanks man you are a ledgend also..

Quote by chll