Page 1 of 2
hey i was just wondering what people thought of alex turners new band the last shadow puppets i just saw their clip on channel [v] and thought they were cool as. wanna listen? go here

http://www.myspace.com/turnerandkane

its not their offical page but it has one of their songs and yea its the only one i can find :P

so yea post your comments n let me know

p.s anyone who is just gonna bash alex turner or the arctic monkeys cause ya dont like em ......piss off
i think the last shadows puppets are quite good, but have arctic monkeys split up?
^ I'd highly doubt it.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I liked Arctic Monkeys, and this band is pretty decent. Just wish they had more songs than the one... when does the album come out?
Indie Rock in Spanish. Good idea or not? intelligent feed back would be appreciated.
I am really liking The Age Of The Understatement. Can't wait to listen to the album
Album's out on the 21st.Single on the 7th.
Crossing my fingers so it can leak on the internet(not saying that i'm not going to buy the CD),I want to hear the other songs with the strings so bad.
Looking forward to hearing more from them, the first song sounds good

In band members, it says they have someone constructing an orchestra, intresting.....
Yes,that someone is Owen Pallet,who did composed the strings on the Arcade Fire album(which I don't remember the name)and conducted the 22-Piece Metropolitan Orchestra Of London in the recording of The Age Of The Understatement.
there album is goin to mega i cant wait im like a boy at christmas or summat
The Age Of The Understatement is a great song, I can't wait to hear the rest of the album. It should be good.
Quote by Lucas Townshend
The album has leaked guys.

Cheers for the info
Cheers for everything they've done mate!The Last Shadow Puppets are awesome!
If I had kept the link,I would give it to you...If I don't find I might upload it again,I guess.
Quote by bobjewell87
what's the point in this band? just listen to the coral instead

what? seriously one of the most stupid comments I've heard on here.
Quote by bluemoon05
what? seriously one of the most stupid comments I've heard on here.

+1
Heard them on Jools. To me, all it sounded like was the product of an Arctic Monkey who had just picked up a Scott Walker album. Didn't really like it.
Quote by bobjewell87
what's the point in this band? just listen to the coral instead

from the song i heard, it sounds nothing like the coral.
Quote by Jaret Reddick
wake me up when september ends makes me cry evry time!

emos forever
:-(
everyones bumming off that one single. i dont get it, its just a mash up of latter day muse, arctic monkeys vocals and modern chart indie wank.

i mean ive only heard that one song but it isnt as good as all that.
If you don't like it,then don't listen to it.Seriously,don't even come here if you didn't like the song unless you have constructive criticism for it.
Quote by Lucas Townshend
If you don't like it,then don't listen to it.Seriously,don't even come here if you didn't like the song unless you have constructive criticism for it.

Lol, its not like Miles Kane is sitting at his PC, waiting for the criticism of the average UGer

Maybe Mr. Alex Turner himself is sending off a PM right now, just so he knows what to do next

But on a serious level, people should be able to post in here, even if they don't like it, as long as tehy're not being dicks about it
Quote by meh17
Lol, its not like Miles Kane is sitting at his PC, waiting for the criticism of the average UGer

Maybe Mr. Alex Turner himself is sending off a PM right now, just so he knows what to do next

But on a serious level, people should be able to post in here, even if they don't like it, as long as tehy're not being dicks about it

Yeah,and he wasn't being one...
i think that the last shadow puppets are gonna get alot of attention at first since it's all like "omg alex turner doing something that's not the arctic monkeys and then people are gonna realize that the arctic monkeys are just way better
Quote by lrc95
i think the last shadows puppets are quite good, but have arctic monkeys split up?

Nooo. I think there was an article on UG a month or so back that said they were releasing a new album this year.
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by Lucas Townshend
First, every thread will attract positive and negative opinion. Both should not only be tolerated but welcomed. It's what stimulates debate and makes the world go round.

Second, I actually agree with you. People come into threads, make a comment like 'they suck' and leave. That's not debate. But I expressed my opinion. It's just a very ordinary song that gets attention because the dude's in a big band, for me. Simple as. Perhaps someone who likes them could carry on the debate by explaining why it's so enjoyable to them...
Quote by Lucas Townshend
Yeah,and he wasn't being one...

So he should stay
Quote by meh17
So he should stay

That was sarcasm.

Quote by kryptonite22
First, every thread will attract positive and negative opinion. Both should not only be tolerated but welcomed. It's what stimulates debate and makes the world go round.

Second, I actually agree with you. People come into threads, make a comment like 'they suck' and leave. That's not debate. But I expressed my opinion. It's just a very ordinary song that gets attention because the dude's in a big band, for me. Simple as. Perhaps someone who likes them could carry on the debate by explaining why it's so enjoyable to them...

Well,first of all...Sorry for being quite rude for you,It was kinda a bad day for me.Shouldn't discount it on you,tough.Sorry.
Anyway,I have to agree with you when you say the single/record/band gets a lot of hype just because Alex comes from the Arctic Monkeys and thing like that,but I for me the music is quite unique nowadays.You don't listen to many bands that try to incorporate a little of the vibe from the 60's/70's/whatever music,and even more less bands have orchestras playing with them,which I think is what makes me like the record so much.The strings give a sense of epicness to the songs and kinda make the song bigger,in Miles and Alex words.Not to mention that I think the Bassline along with the drums and the guitar is quite awesome.
Anyway,that's just for me.Again,sorry for being rude =/

Edit:By the way,there are few chances the monkeys are releasing their album this year.Alex told NME that they would be going to the studio to rehearse and work on some demos they had recorded at the beginning of the year.The thing is,they're only going to the studio again by the end of summer =/
Last edited by Lucas Townshend at Apr 24, 2008,
Okay here we go...

I listened to the album in Hmv today it's a pretty good album overall but it's soooo damn retro it hurts. I give them credit for the songwriting because I think they have demonstrated that they have a knack for writing good pop songs but I think as far as the production goes the whole Phil Spector wall of sound they went for comes off as a bit contrived - especially with the 60's glamour model b&w album cover.

A band like The Coral still manage to give a fresh modern twist to 60's pop/psych sound but 'The Age of Understandment' just feels a bit too stuck in the past and feels a bit bloated and dare I say pretentious (dramatic orchestral scores ftl). I think if they stripped it down and focused less on trying to be The Walker Brothers then it would be a better album and anyway vocally they both don't really suit the Epic 60's pop style.

Still as I said there are a lot of good tunes on it. I think 'Standing Next to me' is an excellent song.
i've heard the single and it's not bad, i don't think it's the second coming of jesus as NME (unsurprisingly) claim it to be (probably because it has something to do with Alex Turner)
my books myspace
Here
read it, new chapter added every 2 weeks
Ignore NME, they spoil good musicians by wanking over them too hard (This weeks copy don't look too bad though

Anyway, the album doesn't sound too bad, I'm gonna give it a proper listen, but I've been getting in to the Monkeys the last week or so, so this should be quite cool.

Plus I like The Rascals as well, so this should be a treat
Quote by Lucas Townshend
Sorry for being quite rude for you,It was kinda a bad day for me.Shouldn't discount it on you,tough.Sorry.

We all have bad days. No need to apologise.

Quote by gallagher2006
I can't stand anything that man does. He's a wanker.

Haha, Oasis said that AM were the modern day Oasis

I quite like the EP before the album. But it does start to sound the same sometimes
After hearing A Certain Romance for a long time,I have to say I still prefer the monkeys.****,I can't listen to any of the songs from the first CD without putting the CD on my computer and listen to EVERY song.
But anyway,I'm still trying to find the CD...no luck yet =(
Oasis said that AM were the modern day Oasis

That pretty much sums up everything thats wrong with Oasis and Brit-Rock in general. That Oasis are that arrogent that they can designate 'successors' (Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian) or designate and then un-designate successors (The Libertines). Just let them be the new Arctic Monkeys.
Page 1 of 2