I've been told so many times that doing this will result in arthritis of the area being popped. I think if feels like a release of pressure, but I was with an older friend of mine(Who has arthritis in his neck), and I popped my neck, and he said:" Keep doing that, and you'll wind up like me." Then again he also said that about head-banging(He was in a band when he was younger) Is this true, or is he just full of crap?
I dont know but my neck still hurts from improper drunken headbanging technique to System Of A Down from tuesday
You'll most likely pay for it when you get older.

edit: the headbanging that is, cracking knuckles is pretty much harmless.

edit2: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_cracking_your_knuckles_really_give_you_arthritis
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Mar 14, 2008,
i know for a fact that excessive headbanging is VERY bad. the guitarist from evanescence and slipknot, the singer from Korn all have health problems because of it.

i don't think pooping is that bad, tho
Everyone says that cracking knuckles etc gets you arthritis, but this is an old-wives tale, there's no truth in it.

Ask your doctor.

Its a release of a build up of gas from between your joints or something like that. I forget exactly 'cos it was several years ago when I asked my doctor.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Every single joint in my body pops and cracks constantly.

I'm considering seeing a doctor, I've had it forever but I'm only 22 and it seems to be getting worse (especially in my wrists and knees)
wtf?? is taht true :O:O

gosh.. i pop my neck all teh time
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
yeah popping is harmless, but headbanging can mess you up, I think thats one of the reasons Newsted gave when he left Metallica
pink floyd are better than you
Quote by freedoms_stain
Every single joint in my body pops and cracks constantly.

I'm considering seeing a doctor, I've had it forever but I'm only 22 and it seems to be getting worse (especially in my wrists and knees)

Same here, mines been steadily gettnig worse since I started working in an office and typing pretty much all day long. I can crack my knuckles now by making a slow, deliberate fist.

Only 21 too.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I can crack my fingers (all joints), my kneed sometimes, my neck, sometimes my back, basically anything!! :P...apparently its not but I still don't think it's healthy...any doctor will most likely tell you to stop
Quote by CoreysMonster
i know for a fact that excessive headbanging is VERY bad. the guitarist from evanescence and slipknot, the singer from Korn all have health problems because of it.

i don't think pooping is that bad, tho

Phil Anselmo also.
Quote by metacarpi
Same here, mines been steadily gettnig worse since I started working in an office and typing pretty much all day long. I can crack my knuckles now by making a slow, deliberate fist.

Only 21 too.

The thing is things always feel better after a good crack (it seems to get rid of stiffness for me) but sometimes my wrists will do it so often they start to feel a bit numb which is the worrying part.

I think of how many things I need my wrists for and it makes me
The popping is only cause by gas or air build up between your joints. I crack my finger, neck and for the last year and a half my jaw cracks on both sides everytime I open my mouth
Scientists proved cracking your knuckles doens't do harm to yourself.
sincewhen??

Quote by Mannypedraza
Today, me and my gf went to the movies. During, i put my hand down her shorts.
I keep smelling my hand as of now....anything wrong with me?
teh pronz
Oh man.Headbanging's bad?Whenever I'm alone at home,I blast some music and headbang while air guitaring.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Yes it is. It stresses that thing in your joints and weaken it. Your friend was right. But you are, too, it's relieving
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
I can crack my toes repeatedly right after they've just been cracked. I can crack them unlimitedly, is that bad?
www.youtube.com/jordan123x
Adam D. from Killswitch Engage has had back problems recently, do you think headbanging is behind it? I also think that if you have long hair you carry more force behind your headbang, rather than having short hair. With short hair it seems to use more effort, wouldn't that make sense? Adam D. has short hair and circle headbangs and all that crap, but his Co-Guitarist circle headbangs to, and he has not had any problems from what I can tell. And he has long hair.

Edit: I think if your a metal guitarist your going to headbang anyway. It's unavoidable.
Last edited by archenemy_no.1 at Mar 14, 2008,
My back pops/cracks (whatever) by itself.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.