what do u guys think about this setlist.......this is what my band has learned so far.....

• Smells Like Teen Spirit – Nirvana
• Stop! – Against Me!
• Say This Sooner – The Almost
• Dammit – Blink 182
• Bodies – Drowning Pool
• Brain Stew – Green Day
• Holy Diver – Killswitch Engage
• Polly – Nirvana
• She Hates Me – Puddle of Mudd
• Fake It – Seether
• The Middle – Jimmy Eat World

comments and criticism accepted
GEAR:
Black Epiphone G-310 SG
White Ibanez RG120
Digitech RP250 Multi-Effects Pedal
Raven RG100H and RG412 Half Stack
Too wide a variety for what it is. The people who like the angstiness of Nirvana will hate the pop-punk of Blink 182 and Greenday.
Quote by colohue
Also, your 'metal' songs are in strange positions. Surrounded by far from metal songs.

Which metal songs?
Jimmy Eat World and Killswitch Engage should never be on the same set list, neither should either of those two bands be on a bill with Nirvana. Those bands are all very different from eachother and a crowd wouldn't be able to get into the show because you're dishing out to much diversity. Also you only have one slow song in their really. Look for maybe 2 more.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Holy Diver by Dio = Metal
Holy Diver by Killswitch Engage = Slightly more Metal
it is kinda random to have metal, pop punk and grunge on the same set list. You might wanna try playing songs that have more in common with each other. Also you should get a more "epic" song to play as your last song.
I'd say it looks good. If you stick to one genre, you will play to a narrow audience. In other words, if you start with 30 people, by the time you're done the set, you'll have about 3 left. Especially if you play a whole set of SOAD, Disturbed, and a ton of metal. A lot of the bar crowd likes some of that stuff, but have grown out of that being all they listen to, and you'll lose them. By being varied, but not *too* out there (it's not like you have Soulja Boy, Hannah Montana, and ZZ Top on there along with all this stuff), you'll appeal to a broader audience. By the end of the set, most of those 30 will still be there.

As far as Blink and Green Day, I say keep 'em. LOADS of people LOVE those groups. It's all about pleasing your audience. If you like them, then do it. Don't let some pompous hater dissuade you from doing a good pop song. Or try this... before you play one of them, say to the audience, "Who here likes Green Day?" If you get a positive or neutral response, then play it. If people start booing and stuff, then skip it. I bet you will play it.

I personally think Thrash Unreal is a far better song than Stop, but maybe that's just me.

The audience in a lot of cases won't be too familiar with Drowning Pool or The Almost. Remember... in bars, you're not playing to high school kids any more. Unless you're playing in a high school.....?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Mar 14, 2008,
^ is true, but make sure your vocalist can do the metal songs justice cuz theres nothing like hearing a band cover some pantera or in this case 'bodies' and the music kicks in all rockin but the vocalist punks out and can't scream like they should. i'd be pissed if i heard someone falsetto'ing 'shedding skin'.

i'd also change up the order so that its a more natural/subtle progression. like

• Bodies – Drowning Pool
• Brain Stew – Green Day
• Holy Diver – Killswitch Engage

wtf dude? hard rock/metal then pop punk, then ..... well.... i dunno, i wouldn't call kse's version of holy diver really metal, but its definately alot harder than brain stew.
Quote by axemanchris
I'd say it looks good. If you stick to one genre, you will play to a narrow audience. In other words, if you start with 30 people, by the time you're done the set, you'll have about 3 left. Especially if you play a whole set of SOAD, Disturbed, and a ton of metal. A lot of the bar crowd likes some of that stuff, but have grown out of that being all they listen to, and you'll lose them. By being varied, but not *too* out there (it's not like you have Soulja Boy, Hannah Montana, and ZZ Top on there along with all this stuff), you'll appeal to a broader audience. By the end of the set, most of those 30 will still be there.

As far as Blink and Green Day, I say keep 'em. LOADS of people LOVE those groups. It's all about pleasing your audience. If you like them, then do it. Don't let some pompous hater dissuade you from doing a good pop song. Or try this... before you play one of them, say to the audience, "Who here likes Green Day?" If you get a positive or neutral response, then play it. If people start booing and stuff, then skip it. I bet you will play it.

I personally think Thrash Unreal is a far better song than Stop, but maybe that's just me.

The audience in a lot of cases won't be too familiar with Drowning Pool or The Almost. Remember... in bars, you're not playing to high school kids any more. Unless you're playing in a high school.....?

CT

alright he makes a good point. Keep the variety.