So my teacher gave me the song Pride and Joy by SRV. I'm wondering though, how do you all play the verse? Specifically, this idea:

I've been just doing a constant 8th note rhythm with my picking hand while muting on the upbeat, but is there an easier way?
Sorry man, that's how its played (at least to the best of my knowledge).
Epiphone Les Paul
T. Haruo Acoustic
Fender MusicMan 210 (130w)
Quote by sthall
Sorry man, that's how its played (at least to the best of my knowledge).

ok, thats cool. it's not that hard; i just have to take it slowly.
Quote by Spamwise
So my teacher gave me the song Pride and Joy by SRV. I'm wondering though, how do you all play the verse? Specifically, this idea:

I've been just doing a constant 8th note rhythm with my picking hand while muting on the upbeat, but is there an easier way?

You mean the main riff right?....because in the verse I dont think he plays the bass notes.

also, in the main riff, I dont believe he actually bends that G a half step to the G#. Im pretty sure its just a G at the 3rd fret... no bend.

EDIT:
- actually I just watched a few more videos of it.... definitely a G, not bent.

also for the muting..... your not palm muting it right? you let the fretting hand mute the 1st few strings as your playing the bass line. The strumming hand shouldn't mute at all.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 14, 2008,
dont over analyse it, just feel it as you play it. A bit like in Star Wars when Ben Knobi tells Luke to throw the controls and use the force.
That first riff is the introduction, the verse is just an E major shape like this (obviously it'll be Eb major because of the tuning):

e 0
B 0
G 1
D
A
E

And there's a fret hand mute as you strum right after every chord. Hit the muted notes on the downstroke and the chord (just the three notes) on the upstroke.

also for the muting..... your not palm muting it right? you let the fretting hand mute the 1st few strings as your playing the bass line. The strumming hand shouldn't mute at all.

Yeah, i'm not paul muting. It's the down beat that throws me off, because i have to ply the note, then mute the string, then get to the next note.

and yeah that's the pre-verse or w/e. I forgot.

dont over analyse it, just feel it as you play it. A bit like in Star Wars when Ben Knobi tells Luke to throw the controls and use the force.

Yeah, it's just i'm new to this loose style of playing.

edit: I was talking about the left hand at the top of this post, btw.
Last edited by Spamwise at Mar 14, 2008,
Quote by Spamwise
Yeah, i'm not paul muting. It's the down beat that throws me off, because i have to ply the note, then mute the string, then get to the next note.

and yeah that's the pre-verse or w/e. I forgot.

Yeah, it's just i'm new to this loose style of playing.

cool man, youll get it. SRV really had a great style have fun with that !
shred is gaudy music
Fret the note while muting the other string on the downstroke and rake on the upstroke
Quote by imgooley
Fret the note while muting the other string on the downstroke and rake on the upstroke

I'm pretty sure it's the other way where he does the muting on the downstroke and the chord on the upstroke.

EDIT: I just watched an acoustic performance of it, that's what he seems to do it during the verse (as in mute on the downstrokes) - however, the intro (with the moving bass) is done the other way, where the notes are played on the downstroke.
Last edited by :-D at Mar 14, 2008,
the thing you have to realize about austin blues, its not uncommon for the right hand to strum even when riffing. i recall hearing long ago that srv would mute strings with his left hand and do hard powerful strums, so basically mute every string with your left hand on the upstrokes.

also that rhythm looks wrong.. its not straight alternating 8th notes its.. i think a swing rhythm? it accents the 1e+a

also you could play it with playing the notes on the upstroke and playing a downstroke mute with your left (dont know a term for it, do a heavy palm mute while down stroking). dont have a guitar nearby but that might be what he does for that specific line.
Last edited by Sabaren at Mar 15, 2008,
bass notes downstroke, highstrings muted upstroke. i just play it freely, nothing rigid or too technical. just keep it loose and flowing.

EDIT: by muted, i mean with fretting hand, not your palm
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Last edited by Chris_Parker at Mar 15, 2008,
Quote by Spamwise

yea you just have to fret the notes whiule muting the other strings and basically strum while playing the shuffle. actually, he does unmute the strings hear and there. you have to kind of combine the verse with that shuffle. when you listten to the verse hes mostly just playing those open strings and then quickly muting them. so you actually have to do that as well as playing the shuffle bass line.

also im pretty sure it isnt a bend but its acttually playing the G and G# after. i wish i could give an audio file out but i dont have a mic. its kinda hard to explain this whole thing in words and tabs.
also that rhythm looks wrong.. its not straight alternating 8th notes its.. i think a swing rhythm? it accents the 1e+a

they're not straight 8ths, but they are all eights played with a swing tempo.

also im pretty sure it isnt a bend but its acttually playing the G and G# after. i wish i could give an audio file out but i dont have a mic. its kinda hard to explain this whole thing in words and tabs.

i can't see srv doing that honestly. it sounds a lot less blues-y
Quote by Spamwise

i can't see srv doing that honestly. it sounds a lot less blues-y

right, he just plays a G there. No G #
shred is gaudy music