I've got myself an old 70's Japanese lawsuit LP copy and I love it to death, but the pickups are badly balanced and I want it fixed - the neck is waaay louder than bridge - although still sounds good.

I'm looking to replace these and am wondering what to get. I play through a Mesa Lonestar or a Line 6 Flextone (usually on the Fender style amps) and drive them to the tipping point of a nice breakup, sometimes driving it harder with my MXR GT-OD pedal.

My staple playing style is straight up 12-bar blues rock - but sometimes I like to go heavier to an 80's type metal sound, and sometimes I like to turn down the growl, pull out my Fonzie jacket and go all rockabilly early (50s + 60s) rock 'n' roll.

Most important to me is a balanced output on each string, articulate note definition, and a bottom end that doesn't turn to mud when driven. I'm more of a strat man, so I guess i'd like it to drag things a little closer to this end of the tone spectrum (not too much), but still have all that good ol' Les Paul flavor. Slightly higher output than a typical PAF would be great also.

Any suggestions??
Check the wiring, clean the pots and output jack. A dirty pot can cause the signal to be weak. Also the pickup selector switch.
The excellent advice above notwithstanding, if you still want to change them I can't think of a better bridge pickup than the Bare Knuckle 'Black Dog'. For the neck take your pick of anything from their 'vintage' range.
yeah the neck pu is normall alwys louder than the bridge. the bridge distorts earlier but it tisn´t louder.

as for pu´s any seymour duncan will do -i mena the yound bitchin although dimarzio are also wonderful.
President of the Jeff Beck Club(PM me to join)

Sergeant Destroyer Member Of the KISS army

PM sloopy to join
bare knuckle pus i forgot are also great: ESPECIALLY the awesome black dog pu. does just wahte the ename says: giving you a dark vintage tone thta fits wondeully to distoretd or od amps or in other words:it transforms you to jimmy page without the chops!
President of the Jeff Beck Club(PM me to join)

Sergeant Destroyer Member Of the KISS army

PM sloopy to join