im practicing the final fantasy VII boss battle theme and they have some cool arpeggios

E   E   E   E   E   E   E   E   E   E 
------------------15--20------------------15-
--------------[B]17[/B]----------------------15-----
----------[B]17[/B]----------------------16---------
------[B]17[/B]----------------------17-------------
--19----------------------17-----------------
---------------------------------------------

my problem comes when i get to this kind of arpeggios when i have to move to the other 17 that is adjacent

do i just lift my finger and build up speed? or do i roll it kind like barring?

i been trying to practice rollling the finger but i have no idea how should i be doing it

i have some notes ringing and one problem i have is if i do the arpeggio backwards meaning if i come back from the 1st string to the 6th string same arpeggio shape how the hell you roll you finger forward?

any videos,lessons,links,advice are appreciated
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
roll the finger up to bar the multiple notes and lift off on the last one to allow teh fingering of the lesser frets.
final fantasy is awesome, playing through 7 again at the moment actually.
Rolling your fingers when playing an arpeggio like this is extremely hard to play cleanly. Just practice very slowly (without note ringing out) and you'll see how it works.

Your finger (on the 17th fret, D string) should be positioned exactly like when playing a 'non-rolling' arp - then you just roll it down. Imagine like playing a barre 17-17-17 chord; but you only apply pressure to the first note, then the second,...
And yeah, rolling back up is way harder
I don't have an instruemnt here, but I think you would just approach them the same as major arpeggios, just in different positions. I believe the first is a fragment of a 5 string arpeggio, and the second one, a fragment of a 6 string arpeggio, evne though it uses 5 strings.
Quote by one vision
I believe the first is a fragment of a 5 string arpeggio, and the second one, a fragment of a 6 string arpeggio, evne though it uses 5 strings.

Well, not really. They're both major arpeggios in different inversions. Either one
could be 6 strings which would span 2 octaves in the arpeggio. Or they could
span a smaller range on 4 or 3 strings.
I don't roll during sweeps I just use other fingers, which at the same time sorta changes the hand position making shifts easier.
Quote by diminishedtobme
I don't roll during sweeps I just use other fingers, which at the same time sorta changes the hand position making shifts easier.

I've been looking into that, does it hamper your ability to play it as fast as with rolling the finger?
^At first it was a bit slower since I was less experienced with it, but after some practice I got them the same.

I like it better now since its practically effortless to move across the fretboard in no time.
playing through 7 again at the moment actually.

that was one of the best final fantasy i have played XD

Ive always had incredible trouble rolling my finger back, I just cant seem to do it, especially if its not mind numbingly slow!

how do you roll back your finger? if you had to do the sweep like this i usually hit the notes with the the tip of the fingers so i cant roll back. when i do it ascending i have the natural curve of my fingers so it allows me to go backwards but i cant when is descending like this

E E E E E E E E E E
-----20--15------------------
-------------17-------------------------
----------  -------17----------------------
------ -------------------17----------------------
-- -----------------------------19----------------------

do you have any video of that or can you tab it out what fingers are you using?
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Quote by diminishedtobme
^At first it was a bit slower since I was less experienced with it, but after some practice I got them the same.

I like it better now since its practically effortless to move across the fretboard in no time.

Only thing with that is, you really have to work on your economy of motion or it'll sound like a big pile of muddy shi†.
Quote by stefan1988
im practicing the final fantasy VII boss battle theme and they have some cool arpeggios

E E E E E E E E E E
------------------15--20------------------15-
--------------[B]17[/B]----------------------15-----
----------[B]17[/B]----------------------16---------
------[B]17[/B]----------------------17-------------
--19----------------------17-----------------

my problem comes when i get to this kind of arpeggios when i have to move to the other 17 that is adjacent

do i just lift my finger and build up speed? or do i roll it kind like barring?

i been trying to practice rollling the finger but i have no idea how should i be doing it

i have some notes ringing and one problem i have is if i do the arpeggio backwards meaning if i come back from the 1st string to the 6th string same arpeggio shape how the hell you roll you finger forward?

any videos,lessons,links,advice are appreciated

Man... I wish I could show you....

THe only help I can give you without a visual is to fret normally on the highest 17th (G) and then flatten the rest of your ring finger has you pick downward. I know it feels awkward, but I practiced, and I can do it better than normal sweeps
hue
THe only help I can give you without a visual is to fret normally on the highest 17th (G) and then flatten the rest of your ring finger has you pick downward. I know it feels awkward, but I practiced, and I can do it better than normal sweeps

i got that part down when it comes to downward motion now the part that i dont get so well is when you go from the 1st string to the 6 string upward

-----20--15------------------
-------------17-------------------------
----------  -------17----------------------
------ -------------------17----------------------
-- -----------------------------19----------------------

like how do you do that sweep do you put your finger on the 17 fret on the d string and leave it flat and tehn you unflatten it as you go to the 6 string? what i mean by that is it kind like a pull off that you have to put the finger first before you do the sequence

i hope i explained myself clearly is kind of hard to explain
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff