Page 1 of 3
What musical aspect of metal do you like most? (apart from it being complex)

I personally like the rhythm and the melodies, as well as the atmosphere created.
I like the riffs cause once you hear the main riff you know exactly what song it is. I also like the vocals in alot of songs especially Iron Maiden and Megadeth.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
metal is fast and in ur face, and gets me pumped listening to it, no matter what mood im in. metal fans are also the most dedicated. i cant really explain it, but go thru the forums of people asking what ______ to buy, almost every says they play metal. it inspires people to play an instrument because the fans are so hardcore.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Honestly, it would be the aggresive elements, although not all metal I like is aggresive, it helps chill you out. I actually believe its possibly healthy for the mind because youre releasing any anger or frustration in a none-harmful way. Most people seem to bottle it all up and I think you need to let loose every now and again, metal helps a lot.
That, and hearing a good guitar solo is always a moment of euphoria.
Quote by sk8terdude9390
i like their hair.

wat.

Anyway, I like everything about it!
I like the drums, guitars, bass, vocals, and occasionally the keyboards
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
Incites more emotion in the listener than most (any?) other genre(s) of music.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Ugh, I HATE keyboards.

My favorite thing about metal - and most rock, actually - is that there's some emotion to it. You can sit down and listen to metal the way you can't to dance music, and you can focus on more than just the vocals the way you can't to pop or rap.
The guitars...especially when they have that razor-sharp distortion(think: Dimebag or CC's KILL album). Chromatic riffing and chugging turns me into a runaway bulldozer. and overall, the way good bands create overlapping and opposing melodies building tension and release. I can't tell you if a whole lot of other forms of music use these kinds of tools (symphonic music comes to mind) regularly but, I doubt they're used as intentionally as they are in Metal.

Me too, Danno!
Last edited by UGHm.o.w. at Mar 14, 2008,
the solos (children of bodom)
the emotion (hatebreed)
the drums and bass power (dimmu borgir)
the singing (stratovarius)
the use of instruments (nightwish)
the speed and energy (dragonforce)
the way the band members just work well together (trivium, metallica, shadows fall)
Quote by Random3
the solos (children of bodom)
the emotion (hatebreed)
the drums and bass power (dimmu borgir)
the singing (stratovarius)
the use of instruments (nightwish)
the speed and energy (dragonforce)
the way the band members just work well together (trivium, metallica, shadows fall)

Lmao at hatebreed being emotional. non-metal bands are bolded...
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
^^^failure rate: 55% ^^^
Bad metal bands and non-metal bands

Metal is one of the only genres that can convey emotion without the use of words. It uses words, but generally more of the emotion actually comes from the riffs and the general speed of the song. Example, double bass is the quickest way to get someone on their feet and getting pumped. Metal is not a typical genre, and I also like it because its so hard to generalize every band together because they're all so different.
Last edited by Dethkreep at Mar 14, 2008,
Quote by nebraskan
Lmao at hatebreed being emotional. non-metal bands are bolded...

lool no that aint what i meant. i didnt mean hatebreed were an emo band, i just meant the way jasta delivers the lyrics is in a powerful (emotional) way. hatebreed emo....? :P

and ok so trivium are more thrashy, but what genre are hatebreed if not metal?
Quote by Random3

and ok so trivium are more thrashy, but what genre are hatebreed if not metal?

Metalcore
When the music is so intense or melodic or just plain awesome that it makes you want to punch something.

When it's groovy enough to give you a sore neck.

When it's fast enough to make you feel pumped, psyched, whatever.
Quote by Random3
the difference being? sorry i just wanna clear this up :P

I don't know exactly, I'm not the best person to give a definition on the subject but. I'd say metalcore is mostly like metal, just kinda... gay?
Quote by Dethkreep
I don't know exactly, I'm not the best person to give a definition on the subject but. I'd say metalcore is mostly like metal, just kinda... gay?

Shut up. Shut the fuck up, and don't talk about what you don't know about.

Random3, have you ever tried something? It's called common sense:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalcore
Quote by webbtje
Shut up. Shut the fuck up, and don't talk about what you don't know about.

Random3, have you ever tried something? It's called common sense:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalcore

Webbtje? Angry? Is this even possible?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Webbtje? Angry? Is this even possible?

You have yet to see me angry, Pedostar...

This is the bit when you shit yourself, by the way

Quote by Random3
no im actually a mental retard.

As opposed to what, pray?
Sorry for being an ass. I just wanted to give the guy an answer. I don't know, after all, all the exact technical reasons metalcore is different.

I can just hear the difference. And I don't like it. So I called it gay.
Last edited by Dethkreep at Mar 14, 2008,
When it comes to stuff like Thrash, Black, and Death Metal, its the speed and aggression that gets me going. The intensity makes all other forms of music completely boring.

When it comes to power metal and such, bands like Kamelot display so much writing talent, love for their music, and emotional power in their music.

Overall, the average talent level of metal stands far above the average talent level of any other musical genre.
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

I love everything about metal. I love the vocals, because they usually have a lot of emotion, and are br00tal. I love the guitars, because they are either crushing or blistering. The drums are like a 3rd instrument, coherently blending with the rest of the intruments. The only thig I can say I don't like about most metal is the bass. It is usually super low in the mix, and half the time it's just root notes.
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
I love everything about it!!
Also the fact that there is always something to talk about in metal ie. the versus arguments, best solos, best lyrics, art and tonnes of other stuff.I just like the strong community. And not forgetting the awesome feeling of finding a really great band that none of your friends know about
And just the epicness of the songs from bands like Iron maiden. The riffs, the emotion the sheer musical force is just great.
LTD EC-400VF
Ibanez RG321MHRB
2005 Epiphone Vintage SG G400
MXR EVH Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DD-7
Korg Pitchblack
Marshall JVM215C
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Last edited by sgboy666 at Mar 14, 2008,
^^ fine. I don't consider drums a REAL instrument in other music, where it is one crappy, simple ass beat. In metal, it is usually A ****ING MAELSTROM of awesome, especially with, say, Behemoth or Decapitated.

and also, you used the same pic twice. The big statue pic is in that collage, smart guy.
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Last edited by poopsmith666 at Mar 14, 2008,
Yes. Everything.

But to be more specific.

The melody, the harmonies, the agression, and the pure in your face-ness.

The melodies of certain bands (think: Opeth, Sonata Arctica, Epica, Kamelot) are pure brilliance are show extreme musicianship and these bands have some extremely nice vocals too, specially that first one .

The harmonies...oh harmonies (think: Opeth, Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, Tiamat) create a completely different atmosphere than most people are used to, and can portray emotins well. Sadness, anger, and fear especially.

Agression, the pure formadibility of some music (yes, Opeth. Behemoth, Vehemence, Dissection, and Fleshcrawl) can instill pure ****ing moshtacular adrenaline or just a person who sits in awe at the raw power of these bands.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
The complexity. I love the fact that most real Metal bands are not afraid to tackle complex riffs and solo's. Metal is truly what made me better at playing guitar.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Page 1 of 3