I found a "Les Paul in a thrift store yesterday and I'm not completely sure it is. I searched forever last night on the to find a pic of something similar. I still couldn't find one, so I made one in paint. It looks... similar i guess.

The guy in the store said it was around 30-40 years old and it did look pretty old. The guitar itself didn't say Gibson or Epiphone on the headstock but the inlays looked exactly like what i have seen on Gibson necks. The pickguard was underneath the knobs. He wants $240 for it.

I would appreciate if someone could tell me if Gibson ever made a Les paul similar to my description?
I doubt Gibson would ever have reason to change the system they use for the pickguard by putting it underneath the nobs (I'm guessing you mean somewhat similiar to on a strat) and if it doesn't say Gibson on it I'm guessing it isn't a Gibson, I don't know of any of the big manufacturers (IE Fender, PRS, Gibson etc) not putting the name loud and clear on the headstock, so I guess it's a copy.
I could go on for hours and I probably will, but I'd sooner put some joy back in this town called Malice
a 30-40yr old gibson will probably be going for tens of thousands of dollars so i will say no.
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Probably a 70s japanese copy, and either someone's made a custom pickguard for it or it was a poor far east attempt at originality. Looks kind of quirky though - if it plays well, I'd buy it without hesitation!
hey i am an owner to many les pauls lol gibsons of course!! ive never saw anything like it , with the scratch plate not being there try and look for the hole where the screw should be and if its there its not genuine and $200!!! it should be more like over$2000!!! and with u saying theres no make on the top that says it all why don't u look at the serial number on the back if its got one and look it up on goggle and see if theres a thing to let u see if its real!!!
Yeah I'd have to agree. If it was a Gibson, I'm pretty sure Gibson would want you to know that, but I could be wrong. But if you play it, and it feels and sounds like it's worth $240 then it shouldn't matter what it is.
if it was a gibson it would say gibson...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
that reminds me a little of the melody maker, the pickguard is kindof under the knobs...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
It's not a Gibson, and if it was one from the early 70's or 60's, it certainly would not be selling for $240.
High as tits
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
It's not a Gibson, and if it was one from the early 70's or 60's, it certainly would not be selling for $240.

Although its rare, sometimes you'll find amazing guitars at pawn shops or other places where the seller doesn't know what they're selling and come up big. One of my friends inherited a Gibson Les Paul from someone who was clearing out their public storage space. He didn't realize what he was giving away.

Line 6 Spider Valve 212

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
You should find a serial number first, just like addvie said
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
That sounds like an old Japanese made guitar I once saw. Probably made by any one of those lot from back then. $240 sounds a bit steep for it though. Although it might be a good guitar, give it a play and find out.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Some of those old Japanese "Lawsuit" era guitars are really good instruments and are collectable. I'd take an old guitar player to the pawnshop and appraise it. Also sometimes on the Gibson web site they have old catalogs. Its probably not a Gibson but it may be a great axe. Be careful and good luck.
IT'S A COPY! And knobs under the pickguard? Stay away. It's old and too expensive for itself.
Quote by 05t16
IT'S A COPY! And knobs under the pickguard? Stay away. It's old and too expensive for itself.

copies arent always bad.. but even some gibsons have pickguard under the knobs, like the melody maker
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Unless the neck was changed it is not a Gibson. Anything they make will have their name on it somewhere.
It does not mean that it is crap. I have a 70s Univox LesPaul copy made of plywood but the electronics are excellent.
Go to a guitar store and try a real Gibson or Epiphone and compare the way they feel when you play them if this one doesnt feel like a toy and sounds ok then go for it but try to haggle the $ down
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Quote by isaac311
One of my friends inherited a Gibson Les Paul from someone who was clearing out their public storage space. He didn't realize what he was giving away.

That has nothing to do with Pawn Shops, your friend just got lucky by having something handed to him.

Pawn Shops usually know what things are worth, as they have thousands of items haggled through them over the years.
High as tits
If that's supposed to be a pickguard you've painted in, it could be a Gibson. They made one in the '70s that had onboard effects, etc., with a pickguard like that. I believe it was called the Les Paul Recording?
Quote by addvie
hey i am an owner to many les pauls lol gibsons of course!! ive never saw anything like it , with the scratch plate not being there try and look for the hole where the screw should be and if its there its not genuine and $200!!! it should be more like over$2000!!! and with u saying theres no make on the top that says it all why don't u look at the serial number on the back if its got one and look it up on goggle and see if theres a thing to let u see if its real!!!

read the quote in my sig.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
the pickguard is almost exact. I went back to the place today and I'm getting it anyway. It plays nice and sounds good. Gibson or not, I'm pretty sure it's worth at least 240.
Quote by Pow3rSlave
the pickguard is almost exact. I went back to the place today and I'm getting it anyway. It plays nice and sounds good. Gibson or not, I'm pretty sure it's worth at least 240.
If you like it, go for it. Name means nothing.