I need to learn chords and rythem, but cannot think of good songs, I have been playing for 3 years, doing quite a bit of Satriani stuff so my fingers are quite nifty, so any one got some nice chord/rythm songs...

Ideally would prefer songs which do not have the bog standard chords (oasis non sense) would like to try some nice voicings and slightly more interesting rythms too.

Hope you can help me out guys and gals!
Last edited by thefollower at Mar 14, 2008,
Look at Smoke on the Water...then look at Cat Scratch Fever
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
Quote by americablanco
Look at Smoke on the Water...then look at Cat Scratch Fever

Smoke of water is way too simplistic i need something bit more challenging than that :P

Something like jazz chords would be quite challenging but I don't know many jazz artists that use many interesting chords.
If your fingers are up for Satriani lead, start learning Jazz chord progressions, voicing, and rhythm patterns. Google some stuff. It'll train your fingers for a lot of nice comping in all sorts of stuff.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Mr. Brightside - The Killers

Jazz chords for ya.
Quote by RazorbackDevil
This man is cool in my book. He apparently likes boobs as much as me.
Quote by cerveza
as does that one.
+1
Quote by .Will.
+100
Quote by Lamrick21
yeah ill +1 that one.

i smell a hate thread brewing!
Quote by KryptNet
If your fingers are up for Satriani lead, start learning Jazz chord progressions, voicing, and rhythm patterns. Google some stuff. It'll train your fingers for a lot of nice comping in all sorts of stuff.

Thats what i was looking for ... do you know any artists of that kind that would be good to look at ?

Quote by WCS_Is_Worse1
Mr. Brightside - The Killers

Jazz chords for ya.

Shall take a look ! Edit - that sounds bit much like rock than jazz =/ with rock type rythems....
Last edited by thefollower at Mar 14, 2008,
Well Wes Montgomery is the start in my opinion. But to help you out...here's an etude progression you can practice(its nice). Look up some nice voicings for them as its advanced.

Eb6|EbMaj9|Dmin7b5|G7aug|
Cmin9|Cmin7|Bbmin9|Eb11|
AbMaj7|Abmin7|Ebadd9|
Cmin11|F13|F7sus4|F7|Fmin7|Bb13|Eb6

that'll be a curve ball for your fingers! Hope it helps.

EDIT: for now look up voicings for these chords that let you transition between them the easiest.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Last edited by KryptNet at Mar 14, 2008,
Quote by thefollower
Shall take a look ! Edit - that sounds bit much like rock than jazz =/ with rock type rythems....

The song uses Jazz chords as far as I know. I know more about blues than Jazz so I am helping as much as I can. BTW Jazz and Blues are the basis for rock n roll and really any other music in case you didn't know.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/k/killers/mr_brightside_ver5_tab.htm

There's the tab if your interested; good chord workout if you ask me and its fairly simple.

Just trying to help.
Quote by RazorbackDevil
This man is cool in my book. He apparently likes boobs as much as me.
Quote by cerveza
as does that one.
+1
Quote by .Will.
+100
Quote by Lamrick21
yeah ill +1 that one.

i smell a hate thread brewing!
Quote by WCS_Is_Worse1
The song uses Jazz chords as far as I know. I know more about blues than Jazz so I am helping as much as I can. BTW Jazz and Blues are the basis for rock n roll and really any other music in case you didn't know.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/k/killers/mr_brightside_ver5_tab.htm

There's the tab if your interested; good chord workout if you ask me and its fairly simple.

Just trying to help.

The jazz im have known it as I have not seen used in most main stream rock songs. lol blues i agree with you...

KryptNet
- thankyou will try them out ... is those chords related to particular scale/mode or have you picked them at random ? If you have which scale?
Quote by thefollower
The jazz im have known it as I have not seen used in most main stream rock songs. lol blues i agree with you...

KryptNet
- thankyou will try them out ... is those chords related to particular scale/mode or have you picked them at random ? If you have which scale?

No it's not random(there's a good amount of theory behind it) but its not a standard Jazz progression either - It's not scalar. It shifts tonal centers so there's kinda no key/scale unless you want to get really technical. Point is, it sounds nice and it'll get you into a lot of juicy chords.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Quote by thefollower
Smoke of water is way too simplistic i need something bit more challenging than that :P

Something like jazz chords would be quite challenging but I don't know many jazz artists that use many interesting chords.

If you don't know jazz artists that use interesting chords, you don't know many jazz artists. Almost any jazz song has interesting chords and changes. Try Miles Davis, Kenny Burnell (sp?), Duke Ellington, Jimmy Raney, Charlie Parker and the like.

Also, I'd suggest buying a copy of The Real Book: http://www.amazon.com/Real-Book-Hal-Leonard-Corporation/dp/0634060384