I'm about to acquire a looping unit, although I haven't decided which one. My question though is about how best to get set up for optimum instrument switching capability for on-the-fly jamming with the looper. I play both a 6-string and bass, and will want to easily switch between which one is directed to the looper at any given time. I have separate guitar and bass amps, so I will also need to control amp switching as well as instrument switching. Ultimately though the loop mix would play through the Ampeg, which should be able to handle the varied input. At some point I would also like to add in the ability to direct mic'd drums and vocals to the loop mix, so I'm not sure if the answer is as simple as A/B switch boxes. Ideally I'd have some sort of foot switch board with as many as 4 toe switches that would just let me pick what instrument I want to direct into the mix. If such a thing exists, I'd love a recommendation or any other advice on how to get the switching set up for maximum convenience.
If you want a lot of instruments, you could get an A/B/C/D/E/etc box like this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Morley-ABC-Selector-Combiner-Switch?sku=150561 and then a looper. I can't think of a standalone looper that has more than stereo inputs.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by aetherspear
If you want a lot of instruments, you could get an A/B/C/D/E/etc box like this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Morley-ABC-Selector-Combiner-Switch?sku=150561 and then a looper. I can't think of a standalone looper that has more than stereo inputs.

Thanks, that unit looks helpful and I see a couple other possibilities on that website as well. Good grief, I was having trouble find more advanced units than simple A/B, must not have been using the right search words. By the way, I live in Madison too...rock on!