I made this thread because I find the Universe to be fascinating, and I'm pretty sure alot of you guys agree.
I'm probably also going to read books about it, get some knowledge. :p

I'll try and start us off.

What is your favorite thing(s) about it?

What do you think/What is outside of the great Universe?

What are your thought on a Black Hole?

In your opinion, how was it created?

Quote by -metalhead-

I smell a contradiction in terms. 'Universe' literally means 'All that exists.'. Therefore; anything that does not exist in the universe does not exist.

As for how it was created, I think its always existed, and if the big bang did actually happen, which it probably did, it was likely just a change in the universe's physical make-up from an infinitely dense ball of matter into what it is today.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by -metalhead-

There is no outside to the universe. The universe is not however infinite it is simply curved. If you were to travel in a straight line you would eventually end up back where you started

What are your thoughts on a Black Hole?
What do you want me to say? A singularity formed by the supernova of a large star. Due to the extreme warping of spacetime caused by its compact mass light and other electromagnetic waves cannot escape it.

In your opinion, how was it created?
The exponential expansion of spacetime more commonly known as the 'Big Bang'

Next
i still believe it's a very real possibility our universe simple makes up part of another life fom

like if you went down so far into cells/atoms/electrons etc what do you find?

or we could simply be the product of a larger life forms dreams

or as in red dwarf that episode where they wake up and their lives were just one big computer game
Quote by imthehitcher
like if you went down so far into cells/atoms/electrons etc what do you find?
Electrons are made up of smaller particles called leptons, spin 1/2 ones.
There is no outside to the universe. The universe is not however infinite it is simply curved. If you were to travel in a straight line you would eventually end up back where you started

The universe' size expands with the speed of light and therefore is infinite.

Edit: And the fact that the universe is curved isn't an argument for that there's nothing outside of it.
I sold my soul for Rock 'n' Roll

Quote by CSguitarvocal
you've just proven that you're the most ignorant fuck on this website...

Thank you
Quote by darknessfan
Whenever I sit down to play guitar, I always need to pee in like 3 minutes. Is this weird?

Owned
Last edited by lead_zeppelin at Mar 14, 2008,
Quote by Ichimaru
I smell a contradiction in terms. 'Universe' literally means 'All that exists.'. Therefore; anything that does not exist in the universe does not exist.

As for how it was created, I think its always existed, and if the big bang did actually happen, which it probably did, it was likely just a change in the universe's physical make-up from an infinitely dense ball of matter into what it is today.

Well, see, if anything "outside the universe" is the universe, then the universe would never end, nor could it expand, which makes me wonder what the hell was the universe expanding into during "the big bang"?
Quote by Grundy0
Next

I think he was talking about how is a black hole created. I'll answer it: Any start with a mass over the Chandrashekar limit will keep converting hydrogen to helium and then to heavier elements, and will eventually burn out of fuel and due to consequences of gravitational collapse, will asplode into a supernova, but gravitational collapse wins again and ta-da.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Mar 14, 2008,
Quote by lead_zeppelin
The universe' size expands with the speed of light and therefore is infinite.

How did you come to that conclusion? Just because the universe expands at the speed of light does not mean it is infinite. Of course if it had been doing it for an infinite number of years the universe would be, theoretically, infinite, but it hasn't. It has only been doing it for 12 billion years odd.

Quote by -metalhead-
Well, see, if anything "outside the universe" is the universe, then the universe would never end, nor could it expand, which makes me wonder what the hell was the universe expanding into during "the big bang"?

Nothing. Space was 'unfolded', so to speak, along with the 'Big Bang'. The only space that exists is the space the universe makes as it expands.
Quote by Grundy0

okay shush i didnt know that lol

but i mean if you go down further what are they made of?

i think it could be ultimately possible that we do make up something else
Quote by Grundy0

An electron is a type of lepton. All elementary particles are composed of quarks.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
An electron is a type of lepton. All elementary particles are composed of quarks.

Sssh I'm tired.
Yes, and Grundy, what is nothing?
The answer would of course be:

Nothing was once questioned by a great mind. Is it the "prescense of abscence or the abscense of prescense"? Furthermore, what is the sound of one hand clapping? What is out there in the universe, at what makes up those vast spaces of abscense? (or prescense of abscense)

Nothing, put simply, is the deepest, shallowest, brightest, darkest, widest, thinnest, and incomprehensibly empty emptyness, so empty that it is only prevented from collapsing upon itself because there is no substance to collapsae in upon, or no substance to do the collapsing, or even any substance to think or daydream about collapsing upon abscense of prescense or prescense of abscense, which is still utterly and completely absent of form and shape and mass and prescense that is abscent from the existance of anything. In short, nothing is the total, absolute, final, and complete spot that is both positive and negative, young and old, and to sum it all up the opposite of everything in existance, for there is no existance in nothingness. It has even been thought that nothingness itself doesn't even exist, and that the existance of nothingness is so impossibly ludicrous and insane that if anyone were to actually realize or see nothingness, the entirety of the expanse of the Everything would simply vaporize, leaving even more nothingness in its place.

Still, if nothing is just empty space, surely it is something?
Greatest Mind**** in the universe.
Quote by Grundy0
How did you come to that conclusion? Just because the universe expands at the speed of light does not mean it is infinite. Of course if it had been doing it for an infinite number of years the universe would be, theoretically, infinite, but it hasn't. It has only been doing it for 12 billion years odd.

True but you said that it isn't infinite. There indeed might be a chance that the universe someday stops expanding, maybe even decreasing, but you haven't proven that yet.

Quote by CSguitarvocal

Thank you
Quote by darknessfan
Whenever I sit down to play guitar, I always need to pee in like 3 minutes. Is this weird?

Owned
Quote by -metalhead-
Yes, and Grundy, what is nothing?
The answer would of course be:

Nothing was once questioned by a great mind. Is it the "prescense of abscence or the abscense of prescense"? Furthermore, what is the sound of one hand clapping? What is out there in the universe, at what makes up those vast spaces of abscense? (or prescense of abscense)

Nothing, put simply, is the deepest, shallowest, brightest, darkest, widest, thinnest, and incomprehensibly empty emptyness, so empty that it is only prevented from collapsing upon itself because there is no substance to collapsae in upon, or no substance to do the collapsing, or even any substance to think or daydream about collapsing upon abscense of prescense or prescense of abscense, which is still utterly and completely absent of form and shape and mass and prescense that is abscent from the existance of anything. In short, nothing is the total, absolute, final, and complete spot that is both positive and negative, young and old, and to sum it all up the opposite of everything in existance, for there is no existance in nothingness. It has even been thought that nothingness itself doesn't even exist, and that the existance of nothingness is so impossibly ludicrous and insane that if anyone were to actually realize or see nothingness, the entirety of the expanse of the Everything would simply vaporize, leaving even more nothingness in its place.

Still, if nothing is just empty space, surely it is something?
Greatest Mind**** in the universe.

o.0 Deep.

Still I stand by my point in that nothing is not just empty space, that would be space, it is a lack of space.
is it possible that the universe could go back in on itself like a star does after it dies?

im not physics buff obviously so im curious, since a star is effectively a slow explosion (?)
so is it expanding as well?

and if it is then the universe must eventual end like a star does?
Quote by lead_zeppelin
True but you said that it isn't infinite. There indeed might be a chance that the universe someday stops expanding, maybe even decreasing, but you haven't proven that yet.

I don't understand what you mean by the quote 'True but you said that it isn't infinite'. Please elaborate.

Aaah The 'Big Crunch'. How mysteriously unprovable art thou.

Quote by imthehitcher
is it possible that the universe could go back in on itself like a star does after it dies?

im not physics buff obviously so im curious, since a star is effectively a slow explosion (?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Crunch
Quote by imthehitcher

It's one of the possible fates of the universe, but the expansion constant is far too great for "The Big Crunch" to occur. This month's Scientific American has a really good article about this exact topic. Here's the link:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=the-end-of-cosmology

And here's a video corresponding to that:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=the-end-of-cosmology-video
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Grundy0
o.0 Deep.

Still I stand by my point in that nothing is not just empty space, that would be space, it is a lack of space.

"A vacuum (sometimes vacuüm) is a volume of space that is essentially empty of matter (...). The word comes from the Latin term for "empty," but in reality, no volume of space can ever be perfectly empty"

- Wikipedia

Quote by CSguitarvocal

Thank you
Quote by darknessfan

Owned
Quote by lead_zeppelin
"A vacuum (sometimes vacuüm) is a volume of space that is essentially empty of matter (...). The word comes from the Latin term for "empty," but in reality, no volume of space can ever be perfectly empty"

- Wikipedia

We're not talking about a vacuum, you need space for a vacuum. Nothing is exactly what it sounds like, no matter in no space.
The universe is not however infinite

You say the universe is not infinite. You came with a counter-argument against me saying: "The universe expands with te speed of light", by saying: "But that doesn't mean it'll never stop expanding". You got me there but you also didn't came up with an argument why it should ever stop expanding. So you haven't proven yet that the universe isn't infinite.

Quote by CSguitarvocal

Thank you
Quote by darknessfan

Owned
Quote by Grundy0
We're not talking about a vacuum, you need space for a vacuum. Nothing is exactly what it sounds like, no matter in no space.

Got me there.

It's weird how you can realise "nothing" but can't explain it.

Quote by CSguitarvocal

Thank you
Quote by darknessfan

Owned
Quote by lead_zeppelin
You say the universe is not infinite. You came with a counter-argument against me saying: "The universe expands with te speed of light", by saying: "But that doesn't mean it'll never stop expanding". You got me there but you also didn't came up with an argument why it should ever stop expanding. So you haven't proven yet that the universe isn't infinite.

I still don't understand exactly where you are coming from but I'll try to explain. The universe is not infinite because it has not been here for an infinite amount of time. It has the potential to be infinite if the 'Big Crunch' theory never comes to fruition but it is not at current infinite.
Quote by Grundy0
I still don't understand exactly where you are coming from but I'll try to explain. The universe is not infinite because it has not been here for an infinite amount of time. It has the potential to be infinite if the 'Big Crunch' theory never comes to fruition but it is not at current infinite.

Now we come to the dicussion of: what's the meaning of infinite.
I see it as "something" without boundaries. The way I see it: the universe had no boundaries because it expands every infintely small amount of time.

But this discussion is getting confusing , time for a beer.

Quote by CSguitarvocal

Thank you
Quote by darknessfan

Owned
Quote by lead_zeppelin
Now we come to the dicussion of: what's the meaning of infinite.
I see it as "something" without boundaries. The way I see it: the universe had no boundaries because it expands every infintely small amount of time.

But this discussion is getting confusing , time for a beer.

I'm off to cook so I shall not be awnsering for a while.