Do you think that listening to different Genre's of music will help you become a better guitarist?

im thinking about "expanding my horizions" and i started listening to Classical music. Will this help at all?
Quote by bambi_slaughter

what sound does a baby make when you put it in a blender?
i dunno, i was to busy masturba ting.

Quote by maroon5mustdie
EVH. I saw him in concert. And his brother was seriously the worst bass player I've ever seen.

Quote by operation ktulu
if my guitar had a pussy, i would never leave my room
the whole idea of a genre is ****ed these days anyway. it used to be all simple now you have core in everyting, like jazzoerientatednewwavemetalcore
-_-
But expanding one's hirzons is never a wrong thing. if it makes you better .. náh but it will make you start focus on new things an THAT will make you better
It definitely opens up your perspective on music. Just don't force yourself to listen to anything. If you like it, you like it, listen to it, if you don't, then don't force it.

Sometimes it's just a case of not liking something.

So yeah, I do think it will help you on your way.
Quote by gorecore=me
is a bidet a type of crisp?
Quote by MetallicSoul92
Do you think that listening to different Genre's of music will help you become a better guitarist?

im thinking about "expanding my horizions" and i started listening to Classical music. Will this help at all?

Listening to new things is always good. Sure it very possibly could help.

as nerdo suggested.... listen to enjoy. Ill add to that though, that some things you may not dig after the 1st listen..... but you may end up acquiring the taste for it after a few listens. So dont give up on something if you dont like it right away.

The more music you expose yourself to the better. Some stuff you'll like, some you wont.... but you'll never know if you dont listen to it in the 1st place.

Anyway, thats great that your interested in listening to knew things! good for you
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 14, 2008,
Quote by Fi-Fi
the whole idea of a genre is ****ed these days anyway. it used to be all simple now you have core in everyting, like jazzoerientatednewwavemetalcore
-_-
But expanding one's hirzons is never a wrong thing. if it makes you better .. náh but it will make you start focus on new things an THAT will make you better

-core isn't such a bad subgenre. It makes a point, if a genre is -core, then it's simply a harder version of the same genre. IE: ska-core, dance-core, punk-core. Very easy way to show the music is harder.

Agree with you completely though, subgenres are getting ridiculous now.
Quote by gorecore=me
Quote by Fi-Fi
-_-

I HATE THAT. WTF DOES CORE HAVE BE IN EVERY DAM GENRE THERE IS?!?

LETS GO DO SOME RAP-CORE or some CLASSICAL-CORE

I MEAN WTF!

great see what u did? u made me have to go rant.....
Quote by bambi_slaughter

what sound does a baby make when you put it in a blender?
i dunno, i was to busy masturba ting.

Quote by maroon5mustdie
EVH. I saw him in concert. And his brother was seriously the worst bass player I've ever seen.

Quote by operation ktulu
if my guitar had a pussy, i would never leave my room
Quote by Fi-Fi
-_-

Well I personally want to know if I'm about to listen to good death metal or some ****ty deathcore.
Quote by MetallicSoul92
I HATE THAT. WTF DOES CORE HAVE BE IN EVERY DAM GENRE THERE IS?!?

LETS GO DO SOME RAP-CORE or some CLASSICAL-CORE

I MEAN WTF!

great see what u did? u made me have to go rant.....

Rap-core exists, ever heard of Bodycount? Ice-T in a metal band, rapping. It's really not as bad as you make it sound.
Quote by gorecore=me
Quote by GuitarMunky
Listening to new things is always good. Sure it very possibly could help.

as nerdo suggested.... listen to enjoy. Ill add to that though, that some things you may not dig after the 1st listen..... but you may end up acquiring the taste for it after a few listens. So dont give up on something if you dont like it right away.

The more music you expose yourself to the better. Some stuff you'll like, some you wont.... but you'll never know if you dont listen to it in the 1st place.

Anyway, thats great that your interested in listening to knew things! good for you

I got into Metal that way, by listening to a song a few times. The first time I heard it I HATED it but the song got stuck in my head so I had to listen to it more and one day it just clicked....I also got into Avenged Sevenfold a little and a lot of Megadeth this way....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls