Hey, just a quick one. If you where playing a pattern of say |12-14-15| going across the strings repeatedly from high e to low and back again should I/do you use one finger per fret and use pinky for 15th fret?
It doesn't matter really, not even Paul Gilbert or Yngwie Malmsteen plays with one finger per fret over the 12th fret.
+1
When you get up there it doesn't really matter, just do whatever feels most comfortable. Consider practicing with as many different fingerings as possible so you can do whatever the f**k you want when you want to do it.
I would play it with my first, second, and third fingers. I realize it's wrong, but I really don't care. The only time I would use a finger per fret would be if I were playing 12-13-14-15.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
why would you use one finger per fret anyway, why not just play whats comfortable no matter where you are on the neck.
I learnt to do it one finger per fret, so that's what I do. As a result, I don't need to worry about pinky strength. I am very happy with my decision.
Quote by Sabaren
why would you use one finger per fret anyway, why not just play whats comfortable no matter where you are on the neck.

No, that's a terrible way of thinking.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
I would play it with my first, second, and third fingers. I realize it's wrong, but I really don't care. The only time I would use a finger per fret would be if I were playing 12-13-14-15.

its not wrong. 1 finger per fret is a basic guide..... its not a rule. You can use whatever fingers get the job done in any particular situation.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Avedas
I learnt to do it one finger per fret, so that's what I do. As a result, I don't need to worry about pinky strength. I am very happy with my decision.

I'm the same way, I'm glad I learned to play that way.

Quote by GuitarMunky
its not wrong. 1 finger per fret is a basic guide..... its not a rule. You can use whatever fingers get the job done in any particular situation.

You're right. But, there's another basic guide, which is to be consistent. While you can pretty much do whatever you want, it's a good idea to have some consistency in how you play, it's not gonna make or break you, but it probably won't hurt anything.

You could always be like Clapton and never use a pinky, which drives me nutty that he does that!!!

Basically, do what feels comfortable, but try to get some general guide you're gonna follow, if you're not gonna do one finger-per-fret, give each finger a range of frets to play over, that way when you're flying along you won't have to spend time deciding which finger to use.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Do yourself a favor and do it with your pinky. Malmsteen and Gilbert might not consistently do it that way, but I assure you that they CAN, which is something you won't be able to say if you don't practice it with your pinky. If you are just learning to play it would behoove you to make sure you can use your pinky. It will make things a hell of a lot easier when you are forced to use it.
You don't HAVE to use your pinky once you're up in "shred territory" as some have called it (hehe), but make sure your pinky is strong/proficient enough to be used when it IS needed (out-of-the-norm stretches, chromatics, etc.).
^ LMAO, shred territory.... i have 24 frets of "shred territory" (why must people think that you have to be 12th fret or higher to "shred")

but really though i think one finger per fret is best as a rule of thumb, i would be certain you can use that guideline before you start slacking off and saying "f#ck it i'm gonna play whats most comfortable" 'cuz as well all know, whats most comfortable isn't always the most effective.
Haha you know what I mean. Yeah shred can be done anywhere, but generally it's thought of as being up on the high fret frets most of the time. I do agree it's overdone up there though and I'd rather see/hear shred that's spread out everywhere on the fretboard...high and low.
Quote by AngusX
I'm the same way, I'm glad I learned to play that way.

You're right. But, there's another basic guide, which is to be consistent. While you can pretty much do whatever you want, it's a good idea to have some consistency in how you play, it's not gonna make or break you, but it probably won't hurt anything.

You could always be like Clapton and never use a pinky, which drives me nutty that he does that!!!

Basically, do what feels comfortable, but try to get some general guide you're gonna follow, if you're not gonna do one finger-per-fret, give each finger a range of frets to play over, that way when you're flying along you won't have to spend time deciding which finger to use.

use what works for you in a given situation. What if you need to stretch? that isnt a finger per fret right? does it bother you if someone plays a lick that involves more than 4 frets?

Its about the music..... sometimes to achieve something musically, you may have to break out of what you consider to be "consistent".

So yeah a finger per fret... sure that works fine... its a good general guideline. But do you really want to limit yourself to that and only that?
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 19, 2008,
Quote by one vision
Past 12th fret is what I call solo or shred territory lol. All rules don't apply. Lol, but yeah do what is natural to your fingers. I usually use my pinky if I'm doing scales up and down past 12th fret.

To true.

Really cliche, but do what's comfortable.

Though I find it easier to use a 1-3-4 fingering for my terror death licks.
hue
Quote by Sonicxlover

Not using your pinky is a horrible idea. I know lots of guitarists can get really fast with only 3... but it's so much easier to go faster with all four of your fingers up to speed.

To TS, yes I always use the corresponding fingers unless there is some reason why I can't / shouldn't, like needing my pinky for a different string.
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
It doesn't matter really, not even Paul Gilbert or Yngwie Malmsteen plays with one finger per fret over the 12th fret.

Actually Paul Gilbert does; in his technical difficulties lesson you can really see it very well and huge amounts of the lick that he shows are above the 12th fret: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efq_lPN2TZE

Even when widdling about at the 24th fret doing one of his legato licks his pinky is still doing huge amounts of the work.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
when did this thread become about using the pinky or not using it. I thought it was about 1 finger per fret, past the 12 fret.

from my experience I find that it really depends on what your doing. Sometimes using the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd fingers in those 4 frets allows you to stretch the pinky higher. Other times the standard finger per fret works out better.

regarding the use of the pinky. If your doing a blues rock type thing using pentatonics, the 1st 3 fingers will work just fine. Theres nothing wrong with doing that. You can play the guitar in whatever way suits you. If you are attempting to play something that requires all 4 fingers.... well then your going to have to use them all.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 19, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
use what works for you in a given situation. What if you need to stretch? that isnt a finger per fret right? does it bother you if someone plays a lick that involves more than 4 frets?

Its about the music..... sometimes to achieve something musically, you may have to break out of what you consider to be "consistent".

So yeah a finger per fret... sure that works fine... its a good general guideline. But do you really want to limit yourself to that and only that?

Did you actually read my post? There's nothing wrong with not playing with one finger per fret, I do it all the time. I'm saying that if you do stretch, to have consistency in which fingers go for which frets. You need to remember that, sometimes, you need to be consistent to achieve something musically. I don't see how that would hinder playing at all.

I don't know of anyone that makes one-finger-per-fret a rule, and I don't see how following that when it applies or fits well is really limiting.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by AngusX
Did you actually read my post? There's nothing wrong with not playing with one finger per fret, I do it all the time. I'm saying that if you do stretch, to have consistency in which fingers go for which frets. You need to remember that, sometimes, you need to be consistent to achieve something musically. I don't see how that would hinder playing at all.

No that wont hinder your playing. I wasnt implying that it would. Just that what players like Clapton are doing is fine as well. He is consistant enough for what he is doing.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 20, 2008,