Ive looked for a thread with basic recording components with little luck in finding EXACTLY what basic components are for recording, i play guitar for hobby so i never recorded anything before, from what i gather a computer based setup needs:

-mics
-monitors
-preamps (i read from posts here that built in preamps aren't all that great)
-mixer
-computer software

ive already got a great computer and soundcard

Are these the basics? if theres more id like to know, i found that salespeople dont know **** and have steered me in the wrong direction numerous times

It would be used for mostly practice for now. Also for now, Id only be recording guitar and vocals, but i plan to upgrade much later down the line when i graduate from college.
thanks that did simplify it, however i feel like it over-simplified it. But im all for finding a book and learning about the rest so thank you.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG550

Vox AD30VT
Essentially you would need

-Computer
-Comptuer Software
-Audio Interface
-Audio Source to Record
-Microphones (With Some Sort of Pre in the Chain)
-Could also be direct inputs into the audio interface
-Some form of monitoring
-Cables to hook everything up
Quote by blaze2thekings
thanks that did simplify it, however i feel like it over-simplified it. But im all for finding a book and learning about the rest so thank you.

There's Tweakheadz...it can be read like a book and it covers everything you'd want to know...the only way to learn about contemporary gear is to look at magazines or try forums like gearslutz.
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Mar 14, 2008,