I had my friend set the knobs up on my guitar as well as the ones on my amp to have the guitar sound great.

Well I cleaned my guitar today and bumped the knobs all over the place on it and now it sounds like **** no matter where I put them

Worse yet it didnt even clean that well because the freakin cloth I bought at the guitar shop kept leaving bits and pieces behind, rather than wiping the old stuff off.

All in all a horrible day so far for my guitar, but wondering if someone can tell me what I need to do with those 4 knobs on the guitar to get it sounding reasonably good again or at the least what the 4 of them are doing exactly. But having a specific # to set each one to would be even better
turn them clockwise to what? if they're all 10 it sounds like **** if they're all 5 it sounds like ****.
Dude,

Two are volumes. Two are Tones.

Each Pickup, (you know the things under your strings) has it's own volume control and tone control.
well, im not too sure but i would assume that 2 are volume and 2 are tone, generally you want the volume all the way up and the tone all the way up(thats how i do it)
???
two of the knobs are for controlling the volume. one for each pickup
the other two control the tone. one for each pickup.
i dont know how your guitar could sound so horrible or how good it sounded when he "set up"
the knobs.
mess around with the tone controls and set them to the sound you like.
Send me off to bed forevermore.
Two of the knobs (the two closer to the neck, I believe) are volume. These should be self-explanatory.

The other two are tone, one for each pickup. From 1 to 10, they go from warm to bright tones. I like them about 5-ish on my Strat, but your mileage may vary. Play around with them.
What I Play
70% classic rock, 20% metal, 10% blues

Guitar
Fender Highway One Stratocaster - SSS

Amplifier
Line 6 Spider III 15

Pedals
Vox V-847A Wah
when you're holding your guitar, the 2 knobs to the left are your volume controls, in other words they control how strong of a sound you will get from each humbucker. The bottom knob controls the "treble" humbucker and the top controls the "rhythm" humbujcker. The other 2 knobs control how much treble tone you will get out of each humbucker. Turn those knobs all the way counterclockwise and you will have a very bassy, deep tone.

As for how to get a "good tone" thats kind of a stupid question. I usually keep every knob turned clockwise all the way, but thats just me..
Quote by Aitrus
All in all a horrible day so far for my guitar, but wondering if someone can tell me what I need to do with those 4 knobs on the guitar to get it sounding reasonably good again or at the least what the 4 of them are doing exactly. But having a specific # to set each one to would be even better

The two closest to the neck control the volume (the bottom one controls the volume to the bridge pickup, the top one to the neck pickup) and the other two control the tone (again bottom-bridge, top-neck). As far as the tone pickups - the closer to "0" they are the more bass your pickups put out and the closer to "10" the more treble. The volume should be self explanatory.

Just turn everything to "10" and it should be fine.
sorry i should have prefaced this post by stating i know nothing about guitar parts/setup or any of that. I've been learning to play for a few months by teaching myself with some online guides.

I will try messing with it some more based on comments here, but whats happening is if I turn the one knob any higher than like 1 or 2 my high e string sounds twangy as hell