What type of guitar would be good for Jazz Fusion? I looked at Eastman guitars (the El Rey) but I need something that could also play metal occasionally.

Any suggestions?
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Usually a cross between more vintage guitars and shred/metal guitars is used. It's hard to tell though. There's a plethora of fusion artists that use Ibanez RG style guitars, but also Les Pauls and Strats...

Depends on the sound you want, pretty much. There's a big difference between the sound of Wayne Krantz/Scott Henderson and say Jeff Kollman.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
I've seen RGs to Archtops to acoustics. I'd go for a nice, slim RG personally.
My budget is around $2,000.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
$2000, US dollars or ... ?

I would get a custom made guitar, or an Ibanez of sort. But that's just me. Why not take a trip into a guitar store and try out as many guitars out as possible?
Quote by Resiliance
Usually a cross between more vintage guitars and shred/metal guitars is used. It's hard to tell though. There's a plethora of fusion artists that use Ibanez RG style guitars, but also Les Pauls and Strats...

Depends on the sound you want, pretty much. There's a big difference between the sound of Wayne Krantz/Scott Henderson and say Jeff Kollman.

This guy's got it right... Most Jazz Fusion guys i see use a cross between new and old school... moslty H S H guitars with a Floyd Rose

Maybe some type of ES guitar with H S H and Floyd Rose.. that would almost be blashpemy
If you want to hear what a strat or les paul sounds like in jazz fusion, go get blow by blow by jeff beck.
This signature has been evicted from this residence.
Since a Les Paul is capable of jazz tones and heavier rock tones, it seems like a good choice.
Quote by Mwoit
$2000, US dollars or ... ?

I would get a custom made guitar, or an Ibanez of sort. But that's just me. Why not take a trip into a guitar store and try out as many guitars out as possible?

That's a great idea! What is a good company to get a custom from?
Ibanez RG series, Scott Henderson of tribal tech
Ibanez SA Series
Paul Reed Smith, Santana
ESP/LTD, Greg Howe
Carvin

I like the Carvin and ESP sounds the best.
What about custom made guitars?
Quote by which ones pink
^Carvin!

Besides Carvin.
To be honest... If you have to ask what guitar you want, you really don't (and shouldn't) want to go and waste (a LOT of) your money on a custom guitar only to realise a few months from now it really isn't what you want after all. Heck, I'd say this goes for any purchase as large as $2000.

First criterium of having a custom guitar made is... You know, you knowing what you want custom made.

Also... Tell us more. Whose tone do you like? What amp have you got? What kind of fusion do you like to listen to? Stuff like that will help us give more informed pointers.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.