Which one is better: a Peavey XXX (no EFX) or a B-52 AT112 60 watt? I love playing heavy metal, but I do also want a good clean sound. It seems the B-52 will be louder, and thats always useful.
Last edited by neon10th at Mar 16, 2008,
If that's all the information you're going to give me, I'll go ahead and reccomend a Marshall MG Full Stack.
combos right?

personally i would go for the XXX.
what kind of tone are you chasing? like what are your favorite things to play, etc.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
If that's all the information you're going to give me, I'll go ahead and reccomend a Marshall MG Full Stack.

+1 Best amp for his wants.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
+1 Best amp for his wants.

TS, hes kidding, dont let those silly men fool you!
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by ugmung
TS, hes kidding, dont let those silly men fool you!

We made recommendations on amps we think would suit him and you tell him we're kidding. I'm insulted.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
We made recommendations on amps we think would suit him and you tell him we're kidding. I'm insulted.

Honestly, it's like he thinks that the MG isn't a br00tal metal amp. Seriously, Zakk Wylde plays them, and his tone is godly!
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Honestly, it's like he thinks that the MG isn't a br00tal metal amp. Seriously, Zakk Wylde plays them, and his tone is godly!

He doesn't actually "play" them, he uses them as practice amps.

(and yes I knew you were being sarcastic)
Quote by BleedDeathMetal

:[ <---sad!

you made the chink sad.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
wow, what a waste of a thread. i personally, am interested in the answer to the TS's question too.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
They're both very good amps. I believe the AT112 has more of a low end, and is better for bluesy/cleaner stuff.

AFAIK

Distortion: About the same, more low end on the AT112
Lower Gain/Clean: AT112 is a bit better
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
^ actually, I'd say that the b-52 is more suitable for higher gain , but the clean channel is actually pretty decent.
The Gearz:

Schecter Omen 6
B-52 At-100 head + 4x12 cab
Yamaha EG303
Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive
To the three who last posted in this thread: the XXX isn't my favorite amp but IMO it stomps the B-52 for metal and some other things...
I'm sorry.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
To the three who last posted in this thread: the XXX isn't my favorite amp but IMO it stomps the B-52 for metal and some other things...
I'm sorry.

I agree.
Quote by doggy_hat
Well, I tried a AT212 at Guitar Center and I loved it. I hadn't had a chance to try a XXX, since they're discontinued. The tone was so thick. This is the first tube amp I am getting. Would there be much of a difference between the 212 and the 112?
Quote by aznrockerdude
the XXX isn't my favorite amp but IMO it stomps the B-52 for metal and some other things...
I'm sorry.

+1

The B-52 AT's are muddy and undefined. The XXX doesn't have the best clean channel, but it's better than the AT's dull cleans. The Ultra channel on the XXX has an active EQ. You'll want to play around with that for a while to get a hang of how the EQ's react. They're much more sensitive.
Well, I don't think I want to get a XXX as I have never tried it. For the AT112, I can always add a chorus pedal to the cleans, and I can get an OD pedal and an EQ for the Gain Channel to tighten things up a bit.
Quote by G-man05
He doesn't actually "play" them, he uses them as practice amps.

(and yes I knew you were being sarcastic)

i bet he doesnt even use them as a practice amp, he probably just owns one and lets marshall take pictures of him beside it lol

dude, go for the XXX, it will own the B-52 any day
Quote by The Leader
You know what they found in Jeffrey Dahmers freezer?
...Ben and Jerry (ba dum bum psh)

Quote by ninemonthmedia
if there was a metal jail, Metallica would be Pantera’s bitch

RIP Kurt Cobain
RIP Dimebag Darrell
Burn in hell Nathan Gale
But what if i don't like it? There is nothing I can do if I get a used one off of ebay and I don't like it. I'd rather not take the risk.
I tried both out at guitar center and i ended up buying the xxx. it has much better tones for clean crunch and metal. i play metalcore and death metal and its great, especially with a tubescreamer.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Quote by neon10th
But what if i don't like it? There is nothing I can do if I get a used one off of ebay and I don't like it. I'd rather not take the risk.

Then why did you even make this thread?
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I made this thread before I tried the AT212 out.
Quote by SkateEmerica987
I tried both out at guitar center and i ended up buying the xxx. it has much better tones for clean crunch and metal. i play metalcore and death metal and its great, especially with a tubescreamer.

When did you buy it? Since it is discontinued, how did you manage to find one at Guitar Center?
The triple xxx has mucho gain, and pretty nice cleans, the only thing that is a bit annoying at first is getting used to the active eq on the ultra channel since its so sensitive. But it is very versatile, i'm not sure about the b-52 but from what i've heard it will be good for metal.
Discontinued? What are you, high?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
The 60 watt version is discontinued.

EDIT: I just took a look at musiciansfriend, the super 40 and super 40 EFX are discontinued as well. The only XXX that is not discontinued is the 120 Watt Head. Now what?
Get the XXX. B52s suck. Its that simple.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
OK I guess I will need to find a place to try a Peavey XXX then. But I have one more question, is the B-52 AT112 thinner in tone than the peavey XXX?

EDIT: I'm not sure if I can find a place to find a XXX combo anymore as they are in fact discontinued. Now what? Should I just get the AT112/AT212 so I get warranty and everything?
Ahh, ok. Could you find any Mesa combos nearby?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by joining_heads
Get the XXX. B52s suck. Its that simple.

Out of every single amp thread I've seen, you're the first person to say B-52 amps suck. Its not that simple.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by aznrockerdude
Ahh, ok. Could you find any Mesa combos nearby?

Yeah, but they are way to expensive for me. BTW I am not high lol.
Quote by mike.h
Out of every single amp thread I've seen, you're the first person to say B-52 amps suck. Its not that simple.

Not really, I could name a few others who don't like it.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude
Not really, I could name a few others who don't like it.

i dont think he ment it literally, i have seen a few people saying they dislike B-52's also but the majority love them.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo