For christmas a few years ago my parents gave me an EHX Metal Muff and for the most part i am very happy with it. However, whenever i look at somebodies rig on here or a professionals over the internet nobody seems to use distortion rather overdrive. So can somebody tell me which is better to have and what the main differences are. Should i get an overdrive as well?
Free Mumia
The distinction is in how much gain is involved. Overdrive is generally low-gain (IE Tubescreamers, and the various knockoffs of them) and Distortion is generally high-gain (like your Metal Muff, and all manner of high-gain stompboxes).
Overdrives are used on the OD channel of an amp to cause distortion

sometimes if youve got a tube amp the tone is so much richer off the 2 then you cant get with a distortion on clean
Quote by Green RATM Day
Depends...what styles do you play?

A little bit of everything but mostly blues, classic rock, classic metal
Free Mumia
Well you would generally use distortion for heavier rock and metal, things that need more gain.

Overdrive is used for most styles that don't require high amounts of gain, which is the opposite of metal, for example.
Quote by Green RATM Day
Overdrive is used for most styles that don't require high amounts of gain, which is the opposite of metal, for example.

Not true. Hundreds of metal artists use OD pedal in front of their amps to boost them including me.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Overdrives are used on the OD channel of an amp to cause distortion

sometimes if youve got a tube amp the tone is so much richer off the 2 then you cant get with a distortion on clean

WTF are you talking about that's not true. From what you are saying somebody could think they have built in OD pedals in amps for the OD channel.
Quote by Gibson_Left
Not true. Hundreds of metal artists use OD pedal in front of their amps to boost them including me.

Oops, then I was wrong.

But overdrive is used for most styles that don't require a lot of gain, is it not?
Quote by Green RATM Day
But overdrive is used for most styles that don't require a lot of gain, is it not?

Yeah
^
Not so much.

I'd say that there are just as many Metal players (or some other genre that requires a good amount of gain) as,any other players who use an OD. Everybody's got a Tubescreamer nowadays.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
Quote by LastCaress88
^
Not so much.

I'd say that there are just as many Metal players (or some other genre that requires a good amount of gain) as,any other players who use an OD. Everybody's got a Tubescreamer nowadays.

Yeah if you read earlier you'd see that I said HUNDREDS of metal artists including myself are using OD pedals in front of the amp to boost them and tighten them up. They don't use the Tubescreamers as their main distortion sound though.
I never said they did. Thats exactly what I use an OD for too, just as a solo or lead boost.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
so could i get a good overdriven sound with just my peavey classic 30? i dont need a tubescreamer? then i could just use a ds-1 distortion since i dont do distortion that much