is the vk half stack any good for playing metalcore? or should i get another amp? (suggest please)
Peavey 6505+

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
it would be decent with an od and with the gain and volume cranked. by the way, you don't need a half stack. 50w tube is at peak volume equal in loudness to a 125w solid state. A 20-30 watt is enough for gigs, and a 100w is overkill for anything except large stadiums. Also, a half stack will be a pain in the ass to move. get a combo.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 14, 2008,
invest in a screamin blues, or bad monkey pedal, or something like that and put it in front of the amp to tighten up the sound, and give it a bit more bass prescence and it should sound great.
I would get a 5150 or something Valvekings really aren't that great and I honestly don't know why everyone here recommends them.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i dont see why everyone insists on getting a half-stack, just get a combo.
i think i saw a used Peavey XXX combo for $600 or $800, i dont remember.
i would of snagged it if i had the money, lol.

but seriously, get a combo. i am very much pleased with my $300 combo.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
I've got one...

Yes it can do metalcore and get brutal...
No it is not as brutal as the 5150 or 6505....

But my new 400 dollar tube amp has a 3 year replacement warranty and it sounds good as hell and i dont have to re-tube it or worry about what was done to it before i got... That also answers the question about why so many people suggest them...
Quote by dudey5691
I got a pretty sweet As I Lay Dying tone out of my VK112 with a Bad Monkey in front of it.

Note, I did not scoop mids or crank volume. It was at 2

oh, really? I didn't know you could do that.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by dudey5691
I can't recognize sarcasm online, if that was sarcasm

But I guess putting an OD in front is the obvious thing...i should probably delete that post...

It's not, I've heard tube amps only sound good cranked. which is partially true. they sound good cranked, unlike SS.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by stangconv
The Valveking IS a TUBE amp...

exactly. that's my point. 50w tube for practice is incredible overkill, unless it's with a Keith Moon-like drummer, and a bassist with an insanely loud rig. in that case, I'd get a cab and attach a cable to it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
It's not...

oh...well.

Bad Monkey:

Level - all the way
low - 1 o'clock
high - 12 o'clock
gain - none/6:30 depending on if you want more crunch or not

VK:
Low Gain Channel
Class A texture
"tight" texture enabled
Volume - 2
Gain - all out
Gain boost (optional for solos)
Volume boost off
Bass - all out
Mid - 3 o'clock
Treble - 3 o'clock
Reverb - 9 o'clock

That got me it pretty well. I have stock speakers...and I was playing this through my semi-hollow with D'addario(?) .10-.52 strings.

It'll probably sound LOADS better turned up though, but I cannot do that since I am 16 and live with my parents.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Tube amps sound better than SS amps at low volumes IMO. They don't shine until they are turned up over half way though. Then its orgasmic.

+1

Solid state is solid state no matter were you turn the volume and tube is tube...

Also most solid states once you get past 7 start to crap out... Tubes keeping until the knob stops..
I almost bought a VK. It's a decent amp but not quite what I'm looking for. If I were you I would definitely look into the B-52 or maybe look around used for a 5150 (although personally I prefer the B-52 to the Peavey but the Peavey does have more gain).
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by dudey5691
oh yeah, i've heard some really good things about those.

But, as with the 5150, the cleans aren't the greatest? EQ and chorus should fix that.

I never played the Bugera but I have heard they are a pretty good 5150 clone with better cleans...
Get a B-52 AT combo or half stack. Awsome amp. Versatile, great tone, tripple rectfier. I don't really need to say more.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yes, yes you do....

lol, i agree.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.