Hey UG,
I just got a floyd rose guitar about a month ago. Its been good so far. So i was messing around with the floyd, a bit too much though, and my 5th string broke at the saddle while diving up . so i thought "ok", i guess was asking for that to happen. So i replaced the string, previously my first string had broken and i replaced it without bother, anyway i changed the 5th string with one of the same gauge, all seemed to be fine but i noticed i get this strange noise on the string its hard to explain, its not fret buzz ( I do also get fret buzz on those strings aswell but I have to raise the action far too high and it wasn’t there before I changed the strings despite the action being the same height which is another mysterious thing.), even if im not fretting notes its there, i tried a different brand of string but still there. So i kindof ignored it and kept playing, messed with whammy again, 4th string broke :/, replaced it with same gauge as before strings, and now i get a similar noise on that string and i dont think its something to do with new strings cause its been like that for a week at least, so i could be doing something wrong in the string setup, anyone got ideas as to what may be the problem, , sorry if the solution is located somewhere else on the forum, i searched but i couldnt find it.
Yes,it is in tune, the sound appears to be coming from the saddle. A quick question for fr users. When you are changing strings do you cut just the ball end off alone, or the entire thick part (if you know what i mean)
Thanks.
you just need to adjust your saddles. It happens sometimes when you change up strings. That is why it can be heard when you do not fret. If you are newer to guitar, do not attempt it yourself, but have a friend do it for you, and ask them to fix your action, if you are too high, you will be playing much harder and putting forth more effort when you do not need to.

When you change out stings.. do not cut them. unwind them.

And replace all of your strings at the same time. Strings hold their own tone, being bright when new and slowly dulling out depending on brand and how you play. If you replace one or two strings and leave a few old strings you are going to have a weird combination of natural string tone.

[me to my drummer] ERRRIKKKKKK!!!! [he looks up from adjusting my seven string] You broke it!!!! [looks at me like a dumbass]

Two minutes later, I am still glaring at the kid, convinced it was a conspiracy.

and he did indeed fix it.
He don't remember, how it got there
It had a number, written on his forearm
It spelled disaster
Hi thanks for the reply,

Ok i will look into adjusting the saddles, although i thought they were for adjusting the intonation (mine seems fine and i dont want to mess with it)Will moving the saddles change my intonation aswell?

EDIT: The sound is definetly coming from the bridge, no matter how high i raise the action the buzz is still there. Its not the nut and i doubt it requires truss rod adjustment, just something to do with the bridge.
Last edited by Mr.Kvx10 at Mar 15, 2008,
Quote by Mr.Kvx10
Hi thanks for the reply,
Ok i will look into adjusting the saddles, although i thought they were for adjusting the intonation (mine seems fine and i dont want to mess with it)Will moving the saddles change my intonation aswell?

These are what you think you need to adjust, and yes they are all about intonation. Please DO NOT touch them.

This is what I am talking about- Those little black things, an alan wrentch fits in there, and will adjust the heigth of the string minutely, that is what Erik tinkered with on my bass and my buzz went away.
He don't remember, how it got there
It had a number, written on his forearm
It spelled disaster
Thanks for the reply
i think the thing you are trying to suggest to me is raising the action which i have already done, its really high now but it still get the buzzing noise and fret buzz on the entire string, This is driving me insane. I am thinking of taking it to a tech but i live pretty far from one and i think it should be a problem that could be fixed. THe main thing is , it was fine before i replaced the strings, but now i have the weird noise plus fret buzz. Its not a nut problem as far as a know. Please help someone.
I am actually on here trying to find advice on correcting the same problem. I think the saddle buzzing on the Floyd Roses may be a biproduct of switching string guages without proper adjustments (or simply doing maintenance that I'm not qualified to do) but a temporary fix I found is to take a small peice of paper cut into a 1 to 0.5 inch square (use something soft like bank deposit receipt), fold it lengthwise repeatedly until it is only about 1/8 inch wide. This should leave a slightly thick piece of paper that is approx. 1/8 inch wide and 1 to 0.5 inch long. **All measurements are approximations from memory. You will likely go thru several attempts before you find the right size of paper so do some experimenting. Variations should be self-explanatory.**

What you're going to try and do is get a small amount of this paper between your string and the saddle, and far enough behind the opening out of the saddle to not deadened the string too severely. Basically you're creating a superficial saddle "padding," so to speak. Fold your paper in half to give it proper shape. Loop the paper underneath the problematic string so that you are holding both halves of the paper between your fingers.

OK, you may want to reduce string tension by unlocking the nut and tuning way down w/ the headstock tuner before the next step, but it can be done w/o loosening the string. Pull the paper up against the saddle and pull it in between the string and the saddle as far as possible. The paper loop should at least stay put, if not, unfold it some reduce it's thickness. Take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull that paper loop toward the bridge like your life depended on it. It should slide behind the opening of the saddle, putting enough padding between the string and the saddle to reduce/eliminate the buzzing until a proper solution arrives (or you break down and take it to a shop). Take some scissors or the pliers and tear/cut off the extra paper being especially careful not to snip your strings in the process.

I did this to one my guitar a while ago and it made the strings sound dead rather prematurely but it killed that obnoxious saddle rattling. But now the dead string sound has bothered me enough to seek professional help (well, free help at least). I'll let you know if I find a real solution rather than just a jerry-rig like this one.
OK, I removed the paper from the between the saddle and string of affected (buzzing) string(s). I then tightened the spring claw screws farther into the body and raised the bridged by turning the pivot screws. The action remains the same. The sound is much sharper and buzz free! I went ahead and blocked it too so I can temporarily forget that I have a floating bridge.

I think the saddle buzz was caused by heavier guage strings which caused the bridge to lean forward thus lightening the contact between the strings and saddle. I/you probably need new saddles... well I NEED something other than this non-descript Licensed FL bridge, but I figure it's best to learn on something dispensable and upgrade when all else fails.

Here are some good references I found:

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226&highlight=floyd+rose+saddle

Hope that helps. Feel free to tell me everything I've done that endangers my guitar and my manifests my inexperience, if you feel the need.