I'm in a band that plays heavy underground moody metal. Stuff like Deftones, Biffy Clyro, Interpol, Tool, Oceansize, Million Dead, Mastodon, Incubus, Helmet, Faith No More...blah blah blah!

Anyway, what I need is a half stack head and a cabinet with the following specs:

Loud - 100 Watts
Diverse
Valve
Farely cheap - 1000 to 2000 euro(excluding the cabinet of course)
Reliable
Sound kick ass - Obviously

Anyone got any ideas?
For a head go JCM 800
Quote by killbox2490
HOLY S**T! There is a switch hahahahahha. Thanks Red Wing. Now you're probably going to quote me for being so retarded

CLAPTON IS GOD
you don't need 100 watts
get a Grainger hammerhead
clicky

sounds like it'd fit the bill.
and fantastic value for money
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Quote by AngryGoldfish
I'm in a band that plays heavy underground moody metal. Stuff like Deftones, Biffy Clyro, Interpol, Tool, Oceansize, Million Dead, Mastodon, Incubus, Helmet, Faith No More...blah blah blah!

Anyway, what I need is a half stack head and a cabinet with the following specs:

Loud - 100 Watts
Diverse
Valve
Farely cheap - 1000 to 2000 euro(excluding the cabinet of course)
Reliable
Sound kick ass - Obviously

Anyone got any ideas?

All of those bands sound completly different, so I'm guessing you want versatility?

You WANT not need a 100 Watt half stack.

I'm too lazy to look up some amps atm, so I might reply again later.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Can't go wrong with an ENGL.

I don't think you really need 100 W, so i'd recommend an ENGL Fireball.
Sells at about 1000 €
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
Last edited by Grönis at Mar 14, 2008,
Quote by danielrobbyshor
you don't need 100 watts
clicky

Grainger Hammerhead = Epiphone So-Cal = So-so for metal.

Get a Laney or an ENGL. Fits the bill quite great.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by danielrobbyshor
you don't need 100 watts
clicky

But he don't wanna spend smalltime money on a smalltime brand, so why suggest smalltime money on a smalltime brand?
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Hultan
But he don't wanna spend smalltime money on a smalltime brand, so why suggest smalltime money on a smalltime brand?

Yeah we're only small time but I want the amp for myself as well. Its not just for rehearsals and gig purposes. I was looking at those Randall RM100 Head, it sounds good. The Hughes&Kettner Switchblade looks interesting too.
Isn't the Grainger just a copy of the Epiphone SoCal amp? That amp's really not that great. It's a good value, but he can find something alot better for what he wants.

Get a Marshall JCM800(with an OD pedal) or 900(again, you might want an OD, but this amps got more gain than the 800 so you'd have to decide for yourself), or a Peavey 5150, those will fit what you need. I dont have much experience with this brand , but the right Mesa would prabobly work.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
1000 ta 2000? idk euros but in usd im guessin thas like a lil over 1 ta 2 grand, so if thats tha case then id say get a marshall. u cant go wrong wit a marshall
If you want to overdrive it, don't get 100W, you wont get the power tubes breaking up before your ears fall off.
Quote by njhux
If you want to overdrive it, don't get 100W, you wont get the power tubes breaking up before your ears fall off.

Is it going to be loud enough? Maybe if I get an Orange 50 watt but thats still very expensive.
Dude, I recently got my first tube amp. 50W. With the master volume on 6 it's too loud, and it gets plenty louder if ever necessary - but hearing damage would follow soon afterwards...
50 watts will be loud enough. Alot of big artists use 50 watts, just because they get the tube breakup at lower volumes, and they're only 3 db quieter than a 100 watt. A 50's not half as loud as a 100, its almost as loud as one.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
I've had my Vox AD30VT amp for two years now and its done ne very well. Its loud enough for band practise, but it won't cut it for a larger venue's. I know what your saying that its loud, but I've worked with sound guys for ages now and they always tell me go for more, if you need it, its there. I know you can't drive the tubes all the way in a smaller place because you have to turn it down, but its actually better for the amp if you don't constantly drive it to the max. Just sometimes and I hopefully will be playing large enough venues to drive a 100 watt very high. This is without a PA of course.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Is it going to be loud enough? Maybe if I get an Orange 50 watt but thats still very expensive.

Wattage doesn't measure volume. There is no significant difference in volume between 100w and 50w.

1000 ta 2000? idk euros but in usd im guessin thas like a lil over 1 ta 2 grand, so if thats tha case then id say get a marshall. u cant go wrong wit a marshall

You most certain can, considering that modern Marshall tube amps are mediocre, and the real Marshall amps (JCM-800, Plexi etc) are useful only within a few genres.

I second the ENGL recommendation.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
I've had my Vox AD30VT amp for two years now and its done ne very well. Its loud enough for band practise, but it won't cut it for a larger venue's. I know what your saying that its loud, but I've worked with sound guys for ages now and they always tell me go for more, if you need it, its there. I know you can't drive the tubes all the way in a smaller place because you have to turn it down, but its actually better for the amp if you don't constantly drive it to the max. Just sometimes and I hopefully will be playing large enough venues to drive a 100 watt very high. This is without a PA of course.

You will never play a venue big enough to fully drive a 100W head.

Your AD30 isn't a tube amp so it's a hell of a lot quieter, don't forget. I currently gig wiht a 50W 112 combo and it can literally rattle pictures off the walls at more than half volume.

Ampwise, I'd say a JCM800, an ENGL (I'm not good with Engls, best leave the detail to someone else) or 5150.
ENGL sounded beautiful when I heard one in a shop but they seem to be hard to find in a price range that is something for me to smile about. 50 watts compared to 100 watts in concern with tube power hasn't got much between them, but it does have that extra gritt and power if you need it. And I hope I will. Its like when buying a PA, you should always get more than you THINK you may need because, if, by chance, you need that bit more of a punch on the side, then you are sorted. No hassles, it'll do it. If you don't have it and you need it....well your up the duff!
Quote by AngryGoldfish
ENGL sounded beautiful when I heard one in a shop but they seem to be hard to find in a price range that is something for me to smile about. 50 watts compared to 100 watts in concern with tube power hasn't got much between them, but it does have that extra gritt and power if you need it. And I hope I will. Its like when buying a PA, you should always get more than you THINK you may need because, if, by chance, you need that bit more of a punch on the side, then you are sorted. No hassles, it'll do it. If you don't have it and you need it....well your up the duff!

By that theory, get a 50 Watt. 30 is enough, 50 is more than enough.

I've got the 5150 which is either 100 or 120, and it's never in my ownership been above volume 3. That's unmic'd, was still loud enough in a big hall with bass, drums and a stupidly loud singer.

So 50 watts cranked will probably sound better coz it's working hard, and will be as loud.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by AngryGoldfish

You get more grit from a LOWER wattage amp because you can push it harder - you get more clean headroom from a more powerful amp, so by your rationale you'd prefer a smaller amp.

Having said that, I am amazed that nobody's mentioned the Framus Cobra

http://www.thomann.de/gb/framus_cobra_head_gitarrentopteil.htm
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You get more grit from a LOWER wattage amp because you can push it harder - you get more clean headroom from a more powerful amp, so by your rationale you'd prefer a smaller amp.

Having said that, I am amazed that nobody's mentioned the Framus Cobra

http://www.thomann.de/gb/framus_cobra_head_gitarrentopteil.htm

Well by my reasonings I tried to make the argument that it is always handy to have that extra wattage, if its required. Of course, it may never be required so I'll have to do some more research. But there are pros and cons with getting larger wattage and there something I'll have to decide on. Keep the comments and reccomendations coming though, there great!