"The best" type of distortion pedal to buy depends on the type of music you play. You should first check out a pedal manufacturer's site (Boss or Digitech, for example) to get some model numbers from there, then search on youtube or something to get an idea of what each is like, and what best suits your purpose.

I use a Boss ML2 Metal core with a Marshall and it gives pretty good tones for the stuff I play (Guns N Roses, Velvet Revolver, Metallica, Ozzy, AC/DC, etc).

A big factor is the amp you are using it with. If i use the metal core with my practice amp it sounds worse than the onboard distortion (damn horrible ), but with the Marshall it sounds very nice.
^What's wrong with onboard distortion?!
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
The best distortion pedal you can buy is a good amp.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Boss ds1 is a good pedal to have. Doesnt do everything, doesnt do everything as well as other gear (amps distoriton) can but its cheap and its good.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Depends what kinda overdrive and or distortion you're after. I just bought a DS-1 and gonna send it off to Robert Keeley to get it modded. If I were you I'd check out youtube and see peoples review videos of the pedals you're interesting in and listen to some soundclips too then go in the store and try out the ones you like. I never try pedals in the store though. To me its kind of a waste unless I bring in my own amp and guitar which I will never do, too much of a hassle. So I just buy the pedal I'm most interested in and try it at home. All the places I shop at have a 30 day money back policy so I use that to full advantage
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by SlashJr1987
"The best" type of distortion pedal to buy depends on the type of music you play. You should first check out a pedal manufacturer's site (Boss or Digitech, for example) to get some model numbers from there, then search on youtube or something to get an idea of what each is like, and what best suits your purpose.

I use a Boss ML2 Metal core with a Marshall and it gives pretty good tones for the stuff I play (Guns N Roses, Velvet Revolver, Metallica, Ozzy, AC/DC, etc).

A big factor is the amp you are using it with. If i use the metal core with my practice amp it sounds worse than the onboard distortion (damn horrible ), but with the Marshall it sounds very nice.

+1
Quote by Broken-pick
^What's wrong with onboard distortion?!

Well the practice amp i am talking about is a 15 watt hunk of crap. Needless to say, it wont be used in any studio recordings any time soon.

The Marshall distortion is OK but I purchased a pedal to get some more sharpness and "balls" in the tone