How do I become a better guitar player, how do I get my finger on the strings without hitting the other ones and making it sound like s@#$? I went to see Avenged Sevenfold last night, along with Atreyu and Bullet for My Valentine, that how I want to be able to play one fay but the thing is I don't know where to start? Someone help me.....
Learn open chords, some riffs and some songs.

Practice scales and exercises.

Learn music theory.

Read through the threads here on UG, including the Archive of the Best Threads. Read the stickies in each forum, especially the ones in Musicians Talk. Use the search bar to find answers to any questions you have, before starting a new thread.
Last edited by blue_strat at Mar 14, 2008,
My stupid advice. start on one string. Find yourself a little melody and practice it on one string. Get your fingers used to just bopping around on that one string. Get a feel for how to make that string ring out right. Don't rush yourself. after you get that feel down, branch out to two strings. Then after you're feeling a little good about yourself, start checking out chords. After diddling around on a string or two, chords will sound like angels singing.