Poll: Which do you prefer?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which do you prefer?
Lyrical content
16 53%
Intrumentals
14 47%
Voters: 30.
Lately I've become increasingly bored with songs that contain lyrical content. It seems like quite a few bands just put lyrics in their songs because they feel a song has to have lyrics, that they would be "breaking the rules".

I prefer instrumental music much more now because I think that there is more room for other instruments to put across ideas instead of the vocals dominating the song and the fact that instrumental pieces can be interpreted in many more ways than any conventional song with lyrics. Of course there are some exceptions to my thoughts here:
Sigur Ros; The Mars Volta; Battles; EDIT: Radiohead.

Anyway, these are just my opinions. What are your thoughts on songs with/without lyrics? Do you prefer instrumental pieces as opposed to those with vocals or vice versa? Discuss.
Last edited by Broken_Drum at Mar 14, 2008,
lyrics. good poetry is more impressive than technical skill on the guitar.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Why has this thread been made 50 times over the past 2 days?

Sorry I wasn't aware of the other threads.

Quote by mrwaffles
Search bar? Way to fail, TS.

Words of wisdom from mrwaffles here.

Quote by freedoms_stain
Try Agalloch, they will f'ck your brain with their awesomeness.

Lyrics are overrated

Just checked them out and they're pretty good. Reminds me a bit of GY!BE.
Quote by Zugunruhe
lyrics. good poetry is more impressive than technical skill on the guitar.

IMO, it's even more impressive when a band can use instruments to tell a story and invoke the same emotions into you that lyrics do.
I like both

I don't have preference in the least,

you have to realize that most songs start life as words, the music follows, therefore, it really shouldn't be "unnecessary" sounding, the music is there to accentuate and give mood and context to lyrics more frequently than the other way around

and instrumentals can say amazing things, but I wouldn't want all instrumentals all the time
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
meh... I like a mixture of the 2.. kinda like the mars volta.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
Quote by Broken_Drum

Just checked them out and they're pretty good. Reminds me a bit of GY!BE.

They remind me of Opeth, but I don't care because the two bands are awesome enough to listen to back to back without getting bored.

This thread has been done a million times but I can't aim my mouse at the report button, so lucky you.
Quote by FFTLxx
meh... I like a mixture of the 2.. kinda like the mars volta.

yea, but if TMV had to give up one, id lose the fancy instrumental parts. they just wouldnt be TMV without the lyrics.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Try Agalloch, they will f'ck your brain with their awesomeness.

Lyrics are overrated

O.O
ive nvr heard anybody so closely come to my music before.
i love u for showing me them!!
Quote by severed head
O.O
ive nvr heard anybody so closely come to my music before.
i love u for showing me them!!

Don't thank me dude, thank the Metal Recommendation thread who brought them into my life, I owe them so bad. Agalloch are amazing.
Listen to some Radiohead. They will teach you to appreciate lyrical content.
I play guitar. So I joined a club about it.

Quote by copet
Why has Kirk Hammett not been in G3? Figure Joe has invited him but he is too busy with Metallica?

Dylan goes on your list of exceptions.