i was wondering if someone would give me some kind of idea between solid states and tube in terms of wattage
like 100 watts of ss=__ of tube etc.
anyone have a good accurate idea?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I'd say 30 or 40 watts. Another thing to consider is as the tube gets louder it sounds better, ss sounds worse the louder it gets.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
30 tube watts = enough.

100 tube watts = ridiculous.

i think thats the basics. i realize its not what you asked for, but i hope it helps a little?
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
30 tube watts = more than enough.

100 tube watts = Dead

i think thats the basics.

Fixed
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Tube amps sound louder. They're not louder, but they sound it. You can't really compare wattage like that though.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Fixed

haha +1.

I've only played a Superlead 3 or 4 times, it was painful each time.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Tube amp peak output is measured clean but increases greatly with the natural distortion. Add in forced distortion through the amp and the peak output will increase again.
Generally 30 tube watts = 100 SS watts
ohai little sig.
Quote by FLNagle
30 tube watts = enough.

100 tube watts = ridiculous.

i think thats the basics. i realize its not what you asked for, but i hope it helps a little?

that really depends on your situation, I have a 120 watt tube amp and run it on like 7 or 8 all the time when gigging.

As for the volume ratio on a Db meter they will come out about the same, but tube amps sound a lot louder.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
yeah, tube amps arent louder,they just have a fatter sound and are more powerful and responsive. they cover up other sounds better
I'd say 30 or 40 watts. Another thing to consider is as the tube gets louder it sounds better, ss sounds worse the louder it gets.

actually i had to play my tsl60 wide open once...
i was playing with my band in our school gym(3 piece intrumental at the time), and there were no instrument mics. i was also playing it through a 18" peavey black widow cab, so i didnt get much high's out of it..my bass player played his peavey half stack wide open too.we shook the place...good times...
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
and i've always went by they sound 2.5 times louder...so 60 watts tube=150SS...i doubt this is correct,but its what i always go by,approx..
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey