Hello, just got a few questions.

Started guitar about 6 months ago. Not very good but i do practice about 2 3 hours a day. I do not take any lessons for guitar at the moment, as I have a limited cash supply and I already take vocal lessons as I am a singer in a band. I started trying to develop some techniques lately this past week such as alternate picking. At first i was naturally doing economy picking and it was a little annoying trying to use alt instead of eco, but i eventually worked it out and I dont think i could go back to eco if i tried currently... I should learn alt over eco first right?

Also when im single note picking using one of these techniques or just some down picking (mostly what i have done up till now) my hand should be floating, which i think means should not be touching anything (unless im palm muting which i do do a lot since there is quite a bit of pm in metal music). Now im not sure but i think i read in a few threads, again not sure but, that your non picking fingers on ur picking hand are somewhat planted below the strings on the guitar? I just want to know for sure so I can kick any bad habits before they even start.

Thank you in advance.
Sorry if these questions are repetitive. Hard finding answers with search sometimes because there are so many posts...
Quote by Mixaly
Hello, just got a few questions.

Started guitar about 6 months ago. Not very good but i do practice about 2 3 hours a day. I do not take any lessons for guitar at the moment, as I have a limited cash supply and I already take vocal lessons as I am a singer in a band. I started trying to develop some techniques lately this past week such as alternate picking. At first i was naturally doing economy picking and it was a little annoying trying to use alt instead of eco, but i eventually worked it out and I dont think i could go back to eco if i tried currently... I should learn alt over eco first right?

Also when im single note picking using one of these techniques or just some down picking (mostly what i have done up till now) my hand should be floating, which i think means should not be touching anything (unless im palm muting which i do do a lot since there is quite a bit of pm in metal music). Now im not sure but i think i read in a few threads, again not sure but, that your non picking fingers on ur picking hand are somewhat planted below the strings on the guitar? I just want to know for sure so I can kick any bad habits before they even start.

Thank you in advance.
Sorry if these questions are repetitive. Hard finding answers with search sometimes because there are so many posts...

can you be a bit more specific with your questions? like make a small post with a few of your questions. i'll see if i can help.
Yes, you should learn alternate first.

The second part, it doesn't really matter whether your nonpicking hand touches anything or not, usually (even when I don't palm mute) the side of my nonpicking hand is just resting on the body above the strings, and my wrist is moving, not my arm. I don't really get what you mean here...
Now im not sure but i think i read in a few threads, again not sure but, that your non picking fingers on ur picking hand are somewhat planted below the strings on the guitar?

But if I understand correctly, you mean that your thumb on your picking hand should be under the strings. If you mean holding the neck with "under the strings," then yes. But I'm not really sure if that's what you mean with that question. Get back with me on that, and I'll answer it for you. I've been playing acoustic guitar for about three years, and electric for about two months and a half, by the way, and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask me.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
ok sorry for the confusion.

What I meant is: On your picking hand when it is floating and you are picking away, should you have your pinky and maybe your ring finger i guess on the body of the guitar just below the strings? I think i remember reading that as proper technique, but not too sure...

thanks.
Quote by Mixaly
ok sorry for the confusion.

What I meant is: On your picking hand when it is floating and you are picking away, should you have your pinky and maybe your ring finger i guess on the body of the guitar just below the strings? I think i remember reading that as proper technique, but not too sure...

thanks.

hm, if i'm understanding what you're saying, i don't think it really matters. i would find that a bit harder to pick that way if you've got your fingers anchored on the guitar, especially while picking fast.
i personally think that economy picking is the best way to go. at least, it's the one i prefer. i wouldn't say that alternate picking is the "beginner's technique" or whatever- you should begin with whatever technique you're going to actually use rather than try to reprogram your hand movements down the line.
I usually have my hand on the bridge of my guitar while im picking but I try to start the way your asking since I too have seen it places but it isnt the easiest thing for me right now plus I think I would rather get used to it freely floating than my fingers on the guitar if I have to adjust anyway
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
OK... I get it now. It doesn't really matter, I usually have my picking hand floating above the strings and my arm resting on the side of the guitar, but others rest the side of their hand or their wrist on the bridge.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster