If I ever make it to band status do I have to sing in a band?

Only reason I'm asking is I have a soft voice and I don't like my voice what so ever, I rather be the rythum guitarist who has the spotlight onme and not have to sing.

I know most of the drummers don't sing but I love my guitar.
It's A Long Ways To The Top If You Want To Rock & Roll

Guitars: Cort g260 w/Vintage strat pickups, Standard Sg coming soon.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.
Traynor YCV CLASSIC 40 WATT ALL TUBE AMP 2x10 COMBO.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Quote by thebroken
No, that's completely your choice if you want to sing or not.
Ok good I rather not sing lol I sound like alvin from the chipmunks.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
yea just because your in a band doesn't mean you HAVE to sing, u can play and do w/e you want, you can even play cowbell if you wanted to
Quote by The Mizfit
yea just because your in a band doesn't mean you HAVE to sing, u can play and do w/e you want, you can even play cowbell if you wanted to
Haha thanks mate but I'll leave the cowbell home this time and bring some bagpipes :P

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
How old are you? Couldn't you have figured that out.. I don't mean to be an ass but some of the questions people ask on these forums are incredible. How did you ever manage to log onto a computer?
Quote by Jericho114
How old are you? Couldn't you have figured that out.. I don't mean to be an ass but some of the questions people ask on these forums are incredible. How did you ever manage to log onto a computer?
eh what are you talking about?

If you been teased all your life because you have a softvoice you would defently ask a question like this if you don't know about band stuff mate.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Haha I do have a soft voice dude, infact I'd love to sing in a band but just don't think my voice is up to it. But I didn't have to come here to figure out that not everyone in band has to sing, come on man. How many bands do you know that ALL the members do sing? Probably 99% less than the ones with one or usually tops 2..
Quote by CortFan1
eh what are you talking about?

If you been teased all your life because you have a softvoice you would defently ask a question like this if you don't know about band stuff mate.

But there are no rules governing what can and can't happen in a band, so to him it seems pretty obvious that you will not be forced to sing. Of course this might not be obvious for you, so don't feel bad about asking.

Also, as you become a more experienced musician, there is a good chance you will become more and more interested in singing, and might do some backing vocals. If you want to sing, and you work on your voice, ANYONE will be able to sing. Of course it is still entirely your decision.
Quote by isaac_bandits
But there are no rules governing what can and can't happen in a band, so to him it seems pretty obvious that you will not be forced to sing. Of course this might not be obvious for you, so don't feel bad about asking.

Also, as you become a more experienced musician, there is a good chance you will become more and more interested in singing, and might do some backing vocals. If you want to sing, and you work on your voice, ANYONE will be able to sing. Of course it is still entirely your decision.
I will only sing if they will edit my vocals in the M audio hardware setup or in software like cake walk so I they can edit the lvls of my voice.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Quote by CortFan1
Ok good I rather not sing lol I sound like alvin from the chipmunks.

i bet you any money you sound like that because you arent actually trying. everone sounds pretty weak when they arent really putting force behind it. if im not trying, my singing can sound like im in falsetto almost, but im not. i just dont have any force behind the notes and not enough air. unfortunatly, if you dont think you can sing, then you wont have the confidence to belt out a tune. my guess is that you probably have a fine voice but you just lack confidence.

but if you really dont want to sing, then no you dont have to. but id say never say never. maybe try doing a little bit of back up vocals here and there. back up singers usually dont need to sing really loud. they are there to harmonize with the lead singer for the most part. and really, it doesnt matter too much what you sound like. like if you watch clapton play live, his bass player sings some backup vocals. but it isnt very loud and he usually doesnt sing deep or loud or anything like that.

so dont be afraid to try. most guys dont think they can sing or care that much about being an amazing singer. if you can at least stay in key, dont be afraid to try a little bit of back up. like i said, i think its just a confidence issue. and things like singing are mostly mental. if you really believe you can, you probably will. if you think you suck and you are really uncomfortable singing, chances are you wont sound good.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
i bet you any money you sound like that because you arent actually trying. everone sounds pretty weak when they arent really putting force behind it. if im not trying, my singing can sound like im in falsetto almost, but im not. i just dont have any force behind the notes and not enough air. unfortunatly, if you dont think you can sing, then you wont have the confidence to belt out a tune. my guess is that you probably have a fine voice but you just lack confidence.

but if you really dont want to sing, then no you dont have to. but id say never say never. maybe try doing a little bit of back up vocals here and there. back up singers usually dont need to sing really loud. they are there to harmonize with the lead singer for the most part. and really, it doesnt matter too much what you sound like. like if you watch clapton play live, his bass player sings some backup vocals. but it isnt very loud and he usually doesnt sing deep or loud or anything like that.

so dont be afraid to try. most guys dont think they can sing or care that much about being an amazing singer. if you can at least stay in key, dont be afraid to try a little bit of back up. like i said, i think its just a confidence issue. and things like singing are mostly mental. if you really believe you can, you probably will. if you think you suck and you are really uncomfortable singing, chances are you wont sound good.
Well its the confetents I lack I cringe every time I hear my own voice and I think it sounds girlie, However my teacher says I have the PERFECT blues voice if I ever want to do that. and I know I can stay in key when I sing at home "when no one is around" but like I said I cringe every time I hear my voice because I was teased in school for it. and thats why I don't even talk on the cellphones, phones, anything that I can hear my own voice via feedback LOL.

I know I must be weird to you guys.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Turn on the radio or MTV or YouTube or whatever. Most groups only have 4-5 people. Only one of them sings. (okay, not counting backups)

Statistically, then, you could say that roughly 75-80% of people in bands do not sing well enough to sing lead. If you include backing vox, roughly 50% of people in bands do not sing at all.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by CortFan1
Well its the confetents I lack I cringe every time I hear my own voice and I think it sounds girlie, However my teacher says I have the PERFECT blues voice if I ever want to do that. and I know I can stay in key when I sing at home "when no one is around" but like I said I cringe every time I hear my voice because I was teased in school for it. and thats why I don't even talk on the cellphones, phones, anything that I can hear my own voice via feedback LOL.

I know I must be weird to you guys.

so you have a higher voice? dont even worry about that. have you ever heard eric johnson sing? hes really good actually and he's got a pretty high singing voice. but honestly, most people wont even care if your voice is high. everyones voice is different. having a high voice isnt a bad thing. look at buddy miles(played with hendrix). he had a pretty high voice but he sounded great. and i doubt anyone gave him ****. maybe when he was younger but i mean, kids are just like that. i doubt if you got in a band and sang that anyone would make fun of you or anything.

i used to hate my voice too. but i knew i wanted to sing as well as play guitar. so i kept working on it and now im pretty comfortable with my voice and now i can belt it out and push myself more. so you just have to keep doing it and keep practicing. dont worry about sounding like a girl. not every guy has a deep bellowing voice. in fact id say most dont. and i think with people like you that have a higher voice you have to work on projecting and putting a lot of air behind it. you really have to open up and project when singing higher notes. like from deep down. it will fill out your tone and note make it sound so "girlie". i think its called your chest voice in singing terms. and thats how you belt. singing in your head voice will sound softer.

but again, confidence is the key i think. if you really dont want to sing, then dont. but if you would like to be able to, and people say you are good, and you can stay in key, id say keep working at it.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
so you have a higher voice? dont even worry about that. have you ever heard eric johnson sing? hes really good actually and he's got a pretty high singing voice. but honestly, most people wont even care if your voice is high. everyones voice is different. having a high voice isnt a bad thing. look at buddy miles(played with hendrix). he had a pretty high voice but he sounded great. and i doubt anyone gave him ****. maybe when he was younger but i mean, kids are just like that. i doubt if you got in a band and sang that anyone would make fun of you or anything.

i used to hate my voice too. but i knew i wanted to sing as well as play guitar. so i kept working on it and now im pretty comfortable with my voice and now i can belt it out and push myself more. so you just have to keep doing it and keep practicing. dont worry about sounding like a girl. not every guy has a deep bellowing voice. in fact id say most dont. and i think with people like you that have a higher voice you have to work on projecting and putting a lot of air behind it. you really have to open up and project when singing higher notes. like from deep down. it will fill out your tone and note make it sound so "girlie". i think its called your chest voice in singing terms. and thats how you belt. singing in your head voice will sound softer.

but again, confidence is the key i think. if you really dont want to sing, then dont. but if you would like to be able to, and people say you are good, and you can stay in key, id say keep working at it.
Thanks bro because I want to be able to sing if I ever get around to it,

Remember one of the guys in Def leppard sucked at guitar but his voice is awesome and I can't remember who he was he also had a high pitched voice.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
also if you're really interested in singing just keep doing it.

you say you can sing good when no one else is around? then thats when you should practice. keep doing it until you're confident in it. like someone else said confidence is a VERY big factor in singing.

I for example, SUCKED at singing, although i didn't really suck at singing i sucked at singing in front of other people. know what help fixed it? karaoke, thats right, getting up in front of people being nervous as hell and belting it out like i did at home. 3 or 4 times a week i'd go sing karaoke and i was AWFUL. i can admit it, it's no big deal. but after doing it for about a year i started getting used to it (although i won't lie, i still get nervous but i kinda like it now) so just keep practicing singing, if you really want to sing then just keep at it. you may not be the next maynard or anything but if you can stay in key and hold a note then most any band would be glad to have you for backup vox.
You'll actually find that many singers within the realms of rock and metal have very high voices, but often times it just suits that type of music so people will be used to hearing it. Listen to Graham Bonnet, he's a phenomenal singer and has an extremely high voice. I'm constantly frustrated trying to sing along with music I listen to because I have a very deep voice and can't sing most rock and metal songs.

The one tip I can give you for a fuller, better sound will be to breathe from your diaphragm instead of constricting your neck; you'll be able to get a greater range pushing from the chest and get a fuller sound with more sustain.
Thanks gang I will.

When I sing with Brian Johnson I can keep the same exact tempo he does I can do word for word when I'm the only one who is home alone, but otherwise forget it.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Confidence comes with practice and possibly singing lessons. Just remember that you don't have to rush anything, if you really want to sing it'll come to you eventually.

And you don't have to sing unless your band is, in fact, a choir.
Quote by Revhain
Confidence comes with practice and possibly singing lessons. Just remember that you don't have to rush anything, if you really want to sing it'll come to you eventually.

And you don't have to sing unless your band is, in fact, a choir.
You got a point mate.

But If I can't get over my nervous-ness doing a video recording of me playing my fav song I d
ought I will be any better with singing LOLS.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
haha alright look, I've been playing for about 4 and a half years now, I have about an album's worth of original material and I have recorded and performed with various bands already but I'm still nervous as hell every time I take the stage. But you know, as soon as I do, I get all caught up in how much fun making music is and the rest comes naturally. Sure, you're there to entertain the crowd, but the main thing you have to remember is how much fun you're having playing the guitar or even singing. Remember how excited you get listening or rocking out to your favorite artists and, combined with a certain confidence in your abilities, you will have no trouble performing before others.

Just keep on practicing, you don't have to be a rock star right away, you can cross that bridge when you feel you're ready
Hey thanks for the replies everyone.

Anyway I was just having fun today and I really tried singing for the first time and used my diafram and my voice totally sound different It was really cool and it didn't have the high pitch sound to it, it had more of a Eric Clapton sound to it.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.