Has anyone heard of Direct Note Access ?

(There is a video link on the page for those who want to see it in action)

Basically what it does is take an audio sample and extract each separate note which can then be manipulated to your will.

It is absolutely brilliant how they could have managed piece this program together and I think it will really revolutionize the recording process by virtually eliminating the "trial and error" process.

I can't decide what my standing on the issue is, though.

On one side,
it is an amazing breakthrough that has the potential to really change things if people continue to research this and further develop it.

On the other side however,
if it becomes a little more developed I think it is just another step toward complete automation in the music industry.

First there was the self-tuning robot guitar,
and now there is this direct note access with the next logical step seeming to be the development of a computer capable of single-handedly writing it's own hit songs.

Don't get me wrong,
I don't honestly think that people will ever be eliminated from the music scene;
it is just interesting how it is becoming easier and easier to take the easy route.

Like I said before,
my opinion on the matter isn't set in stone so I think it would be interesting to see what the rest of UG thinks of this.

So what is it;
are we starting to make things too easy for those who want to spend the money,
or is it just another progression?
this seems completely unrelated to automating music composition, but it does seem amazing. however, this will eventually leave EVERYTHING open to editing, so people will be able to say change the solo on an artist's song without it sounding edited. we'll never know what's real and what isn't.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
this seems completely unrelated to automating music composition, but it does seem amazing. however, this will eventually leave EVERYTHING open to editing, so people will be able to say change the solo on an artist's song without it sounding edited. we'll never know what's real and what isn't.

Until we go see them live and they sound like ass.

Dragonf.... Nah, better not.
I liked the good old days when you recorded everything on tape recorders.
i love how everyone says "they shouldn't be doing music with technology"

they're just jealous cause they write their 3 chord songs in their guitars and want to be famous and be considered as amazing artists...

they're just jealous cause, they aren't smart enough to make such an amazing invention
Quote by deluxity
i love how everyone says "they shouldn't be doing music with technology"

they're just jealous cause they write their 3 chord songs in their guitars and want to be famous and be considered as amazing artists...

they're just jealous cause, they aren't smart enough to make such an amazing invention

Yeah, you're totally right, let's have all music tweaked to perfection by machines and listen to artists who can barely tune up play live

OR things could be done the way they are now where musicians write songs, record them themselves perfectly and tour them sounding good.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Yeah, you're totally right, let's have all music tweaked to perfection by machines and listen to artists who can barely tune up play live

OR things could be done the way they are now where musicians write songs, record them themselves perfectly and tour them sounding good.

it's still music... it's awesome to listen to a song that has been recorded perfectly...

it's like correcting an image on photoshop... or in the dark room
Quote by deluxity
it's still music... it's awesome to listen to a song that has been recorded perfectly...

you're right! let's all go listen to FOB and panic at the disco! or better yet, let's go back and make all of the beatles' songs PERFECT!
Quote by deluxity

Except once a photo is edited it stands in that form forever more, perfect.

If an artist stands up on stage and can't play their songs because they used a computer to edit them into perfection that is unacceptable.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
you're right! let's all go listen to FOB and panic at the disco! or better yet, let's go back and make all of the beatles' songs PERFECT!

wouldn't that be awesome!!
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
YEA!!!

i'm totally serious about it (cause it might seem like i'm just being a troll)

just thinkg about it, there's a mistake in a song... but now, with technology you can get rid of it and get a better quality in your recordings.

but that's my humble opinion, if you feel the need to just go against it, i don't care
I heard about this... It's horrible news. People on this site are always complaining about the popular music scene, and this will just make it worse. What ever happened to the art of performance? Perhaps the musicians should learn to play their ****ing parts instead of butchering a take and then fixing it with this program.

Genius? Hell no. This is disgusting. Crap like this is exactly why I still record on tape.

Quote by deluxity

Music shouldn't be perfect. Perfect is so cold and jagged.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
I heard about this... It's horrible news. People on this site are always complaining about the popular music scene, and this will just make it worse. What ever happened to the art of performance? Perhaps the musicians should learn to play their ****ing parts instead of butchering a take and then fixing it with this program.

Genius? Hell no. This is disgusting. Crap like this is exactly why I still record on tape.

My sentiments.
Quote by Muphin

Music shouldn't be perfect. Perfect is so cold and jagged.

indeed, i agree on that...

but then again, everytime there's a mistake, people would point it out

just like people complaining about there's no mistakes
Quote by deluxity
i'm totally serious about it (cause it might seem like i'm just being a troll)

just thinkg about it, there's a mistake in a song... but now, with technology you can get rid of it and get a better quality in your recordings.

but that's my humble opinion, if you feel the need to just go against it, i don't care

Well before this,
you could always just record the botched track over again to eliminate the mistake.

Not only would that fix the problem but it would further pound the song into your head and make sure that you would play it better (if not perfect) from then on.

Then again,
I suppose you would need some sort of work ethic and a mild respect for musicianship to do this,
and who has that these days.
Last edited by superunknown at Mar 15, 2008,
Quote by superunknown
Well before this,
you could always just record the botched track over again to eliminate the mistake.

Not only would that fix the problem but it would further pound the song into your head and make sure that you would play it better (if not perfect) from then on.

Then again,
I suppose you would need some sort of work ethic and a mild respect for musicianship to do this,
and who has that these days.

sure, i don't care how, but if the music has an excellent recording quality... i'm happy

not against poor quality recordings... but it's excellent to hear a recording that sounds flawless
music is a form of art. and if you look at the definition of art, it's really no place for a robot to tread.