Page 1 of 4
Hi, so im going to guitar center (Beaverton, OR) this friday to get my first guitar/amp so i can learn to play. I dont have any other places near me so guitar center will have to do. Im going to get these unless something comes up:

Fender MIM HSS Strat
Roland Microcube or Vox DA5
On stage Guitar Stand
Korg GA - 40 Guitar Tuner
Dunlop Nylon Standard Guitar Picks
Live Wire 10' Cable

Total This comes out to about $575. I was wondering if you guys could give me any tips on what to do there. Im Going to memorize a few chords by sight before i go so that i will have something to judge the guitar with.

What do you guys think i should say/do to get the lowest price. I already read the sticky but is there anything you could tell me to help? I will be going with my non guitar playing sister because i dont have any good friends that are guitar players. What can i do to get as many freebies and discounts and such.

Thanks For all your help,
Dara
just walk in there with about 500-525 and say that all you have, and you want that stuff. if they say they cant do it, then just say you could take your business another place. maybe 550, but thats about it...
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
You can't haggle with chain stores.

That is like going into Wal-Mart and haggling on an air conditioner.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
You can ask the store to atleast give you the cable, picks and tuner for free, since your paying a pretty hefty price for the MIM and theCube. They can atleast do that for you or you can just tell them that you will take your $600 somewhere else.
Give $25 to your sister to hold on to, and keep $550 in your wallet. Ask to try out the guitar + amp to get the staff interested, then if you decide to buy them, on the way to the checkout also "decide" to pick up the other lot. When the total comes to $575, explain that you only have $550 and see if they'll accept that. If they don't, you can "borrow" the $25 from your sister.
well you can actually haggle w/ guitar center a little. when i bought my warlock they couldnt buy my guitar from me,but they still gave me the money off that they woulda paid for my guitar =] good people haha.
They won't drop their prices. Its a huge company... not some little market. You have to pay what they ask or somebody else will and they don't care.
"The sounds of the universe were joined together according to musical concord" -Plato

Quote by adamungar1
Don't quote me, but I think it's a requirement to pledge allegiance if you're running for president :S

myspace.com/musicartenergy
AIM: enmusicerartgy
Quote by blue_strat
Give $25 to your sister to hold on to, and keep $550 in your wallet. Ask to try out the guitar + amp to get the staff interested, then if you decide to buy them, on the way to the checkout also "decide" to pick up the other lot. When the total comes to $575, explain that you only have $550 and see if they'll accept that. If they don't, you can "borrow" the $25 from your sister.

Do this.
try n find the retarded salesman cuz i got both my ibanez RG7321 n my Warlock there for alot less than they wanted...the RG was $380 n i got it for $270 cuz i told em i found it on the internet for less n the warlock was i think $275 n i got it for $170 cuz there was a chip in it
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
I've gotten plenty of stuff dropped there. Isp Decimator- 30 bucks off, free cables, strings, 10 bucks off pedals, purchased my valveking went in 3 weeks later when they had there 20% off sale and said hey i just got this amp 3 weeks ago can you cut me a check for the 20% and they did...

Here is the key phrase... Um yea i want to get this stuff... So what can you do for me.... Always ask that phrase.. Some will assist you some wont... The key is finding the guy that will and sticking to him like glue and only deal with him...
Quote by blue_strat

+1, but i'd be an asshole and go even lower and have to "borrow" $25-50 if they dont accept it.

btw, great starting rig man, my first guitar and amp were junk
I breathe air.
do exactly wat blue_strat said to do. Except ask for some free picks because they will give you those for free
yeah, you cant really haggle at guitar center, its not a flea market.

but to get the lowest possible price, id recommend a handgun. that generally gets the message across. for me, anyway.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
o n u should at LEAST get the cable n pix for free
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Quote by IbanezPsycho

Here is the key phrase... Um yea i want to get this stuff... So what can you do for me.... Always ask that phrase.. Some will assist you some wont... The key is finding the guy that will and sticking to him like glue and only deal with him...

yeah definatly stick to one salesman, there are 3 guitar centers around my house, and when i go to each one, i only buy stuff from the people i've boughten off of before, because they give me deals and stuff.
ok thanks a lot guys. so i guess ill do the thing where i give my sister the other 25$

So i should try to get the cables, picks and tuner for free? How should i word it to get that? ALso i heard from a lot of people that you can haggle at guitar center but i guess not.

Any other tips? Thanks this really help. Ive been doing research for like two months figuring out what i want so that i dont make any mistakes so im really excited.

Do you guys have any other tips for me?
I just contacted GC and informed them of your plot...you will never beat the system.(jk)
Bring the cash with you they like that, I usually get discounts that way, also ask for free stuff.
Quote by dzaerpoor
ok thanks a lot guys. so i guess ill do the thing where i give my sister the other 25$

So i should try to get the cables, picks and tuner for free? How should i word it to get that? ALso i heard from a lot of people that you can haggle at guitar center but i guess not.

Any other tips? Thanks this really help. Ive been doing research for like two months figuring out what i want so that i dont make any mistakes so im really excited.

Already posted the phrase you use.... check out my other post..
Everyone that says you can't haggle at GC is completely wrong. They are known for making deals happen and I have proved that with several purchases there myself.

TS - I live in Lake Oswego and bought my Studio from the very GC you are talking about and negotiated a total of 28% off the price of the guitar, a free stand and a set of strings.

The way to get a deal is to tell them what you want to buy and that you have $500 to spend. They will try to up your $ amount which is fine but that's when you have to be strong and try to keep it as low as possible.

The secrets to negotiating are to stay in control of the deal and don't be afraid to walk away..... they will call you back if they think you are leaving to spend your money somewhere else. Another tip for you is to go on say a Tuesday evening about an hour before they close. Tuesdays are typically not good days for retail stores and going late in the day will help you convince them to make a deal before they close out the registers.

I hope this helps you
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
i dont really go often enough to know the guys there.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by ste993
Everyone that says you can't haggle at GC is completely wrong. They are known for making deals happen and I have proved that with several purchases there myself.

TS - I live in Lake Oswego and bought my Studio from the very GC you are talking about and negotiated a total of 28% off the price of the guitar, a free stand and a set of strings.

The way to get a deal is to tell them what you want to buy and that you have $500 to spend. They will try to up your $ amount which is fine but that's when you have to be strong and try to keep it as low as possible.

The secrets to negotiating are to stay in control of the deal and don't be afraid to walk away..... they will call you back if they think you are leaving to spend your money somewhere else. Another tip for you is to go on say a Tuesday evening about an hour before they close. Tuesdays are typically not good days for retail stores and going late in the day will help you convince them to make a deal before they close out the registers.

I hope this helps you

+1

Good pointers... I do all my shopping around 1-2 in the afternoon during the week... No one is in the store so there in a panic because they have to sell something and they dont know how there day is going to be... Plus you look more appealing if you the only one in the store vs 50 people in the store.. If your not buying who cares there is 49 others...
Quote by jthm_guitarist
You can't haggle with chain stores.

That is like going into Wal-Mart and haggling on an air conditioner.

Absolutely wrong. Guitar center has commission-based sales. That means their employees get paid based on how much they sell. You can haggle ANYTHING at Guitar Center.
Quote by dzaerpoor

refer to my first post. if that doesnt get you the rig, i dont know what will.
Quote by Pauldapro
yeah i should probably take a gun but that would cost a lot of money and then i would have money to get the guitar. but then i guess i wouldnt need money!

So basically go and ask for a deal, "how much is all of this together" or "can i get it for 525 i've got all the cash right here" *pull out $520 stack of ones*, go around 1-2, stick with one guy.

What time of the day on a friday would have the least amount of people? i have to go on a friday because thats my sisters day off and i wont have a ride otherwise.

also, ste993, what did you say to get 28% off? imean thats a lot and its the same store so who knows right?
I have NEVER paid the price on the tag at GC. Just bought a AT100 amp had 599 on it, I paid 500. Epi SG had 299 paid 259. Talk with the salesman, be nice and when you find what you want dont give them some BS about not having enough money. Ask him to check and see if thats the best he can do. They usually always drop 10-15%.
Quote by dzaerpoor
yeah i should probably take a gun but that would cost a lot of money and then i would have money to get the guitar. but then i guess i wouldnt need money!

So basically go and ask for a deal, "how much is all of this together" or "can i get it for 525 i've got all the cash right here" *pull out $520 stack of ones*, go around 1-2, stick with one guy.

What time of the day on a friday would have the least amount of people? i have to go on a friday because thats my sisters day off and i wont have a ride otherwise.

also, ste993, what did you say to get 28% off? imean thats a lot and its the same store so who knows right?

The gun you can get for free.. Heres the secret on that one...

Go to your nearest gun store. Walk over to the bullet section and find your favorite caliber. Take one out of the box and place it in your pocket. Now walk over to the guns and ask to see one of the handguns. When they hand it to you, take the bullet out of your pocket and place it in the gun... They will say ohhhh my god what do you want.... Then say im taking this gun... Now truck it over to guitarcenter and there ya go...

Warning! I am not responsible for any actions for any individuals that try this trick. This is a fictional stunt and the names were changed for there safety....
ok be serious now. im going in a week and i want to be ready heres my list

Be nice
Be sincere
Point out all imperfections
Ask whats the best they can do
Show cash
Print out competitor prices

Anything else?
yeah, who says youre gonna pay for the gun? what, after deciding you were going to stick up a guitar center between here and the gun store you magically sprouted a concience?
Quote by Pauldapro
Quote by dzaerpoor

Well, I went in there at 8:30pm on a Tuesday evening. Basically I told them what I wanted and told them how much I was willing to pay. I started at about 30+% off so they said they would give me the floor model but without the case. So I upped my offer by $50 and said I wanted a new one with a case. They said for another $100 they would do it.... so I said no but I would go another $40 if they threw in a set of DR strings and a good stand. The manager came out and looked at the deal and said no. So I said goodbye and walked off.

They let me get all the way to the door before the original salesman came to talk to me and said the manager is trying to work a deal. I went back to the counter with him and told the manager that he could close the register with an extra $950 tonight if he gave me the deal I wanted, if not I will find something else online. So I got the deal I wanted and walked out of there a happy guy.

Don't get me wrong, negotiating isn't easy...... but it can be done. You just have to be polite but strong and stick to your plan.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
hey, i go to the Beaverton guitar center as well for my stuff, they will mark down tons of stuff, once i bought a boss mt-2 and i told them i needed a cable bad, and they gave me a 30$ cable for free with the purchase of the pedal. they will surely drop 50$ on your purchase i would think.

EDIT: oh i didn't see you already went, nice job.
Gear:

Ibanez RGT42DX
Boss MT-2
uh, that wasnt him that said that dude.

and there is no alternative that will give as much satisfaction of a job well done than my solution. haggle that, i dare you.
Quote by Pauldapro
yo chris parker i know it was a joke and it was funny the first four posts but let it go man. youre just embarrasing yourself now.

Anyways thanks a lot. any more tips from now until friday would be nice. Then i can move on to the guitar basics forum!
I would walk into a place like GC with about $550, and say "I'll take all this today, but I only got $550 cash..." something condesending, that usually gets them. But seeing as it's a chain store, there's a good chance for them to say no. Then "borrow" the other money from somebody else that is coming to the store with you.
I once went in to by a boss power supply which is $60 over here in Australia. Anyway I got there and talked to him for while then we get to the registr and he's like 'ok that'll be $50 because I like your shirt' Then I said '$50 ummm... sorry think i might be a little short' i then poured out the whole contents of my wallet on to the counter which came to $19.50 and he said i could have it
So pour out the whole contents of your wallet with a few coins in there to so they think it is your absolute maximum, every single cent of money you have right now.
Works everytime
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
"I want this, this, and this for $xxx out the door"

"out the door" = final price, after taxes

I got a digitech rp 250 ($150) and a $30 cable for $150 after taxes after some haggling.
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
Page 1 of 4