You can buy a MIM for 400ish and pump another $400 of mods into it and it'll be able to easily compete with the best of Strats.

Right?
pretty close to. but you dont always get that amazing feel of the older strats. My uncles's is amazing, 1980 or something.
Guitars:
2009 Fender 72 Deluxe Telecaster
Yamaha F-130 Acoustic
Amps:
Blackstar HT5
Effects:
MXR Micro Chorus
R3FX Dual Resistafier
no. wrong.

but that was an almost clever deduction. there is a different level of quality that goes into making the american strats, but if you mod an MIM a lot, it will be a very good guitar.

but i say, **** fender. buy a nice G&L
$800 makes an expensive strat.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
exactly what i did with mine. i couldn't love it more. besides i think buying a 200 guitar and modding it to your liking is always gonna be better than going out and buying a 1000 dollar guitar and being afraid to take it apart
an "amazing strat" will have the wood, finish, and neck playability that a MIM will never have. No matter how much you mod an MIM you will never compete with a 62AV strat. Granted you can get decently close, but the nitro finish and the workmanship in those things make it sound so much better.

The QC on MIA strats is also better than the MIM ones, and I personally dislike the neck on the standard strats. I perfer my Strats neck!
i bought an old standard strat on ebay for $180, and ive put a couple hundred dollars worth of mods into it, and i like it more than any other strat ive ever played.
Quote by Chordzzz
You can buy a MIM for 400ish and pump another $400 of mods into it and it'll be able to easily compete with the best of Strats.

Right?

you are correct, but ppl will argue with you. Maybe an MIA, the feel is diff. But still max 900, for MIA.

I think OP is talking expensive strats, like $2000, and higher?

I just dont beleive that there is a strat in existence that is "better" than mine. I have played the NOS, and super exp. strats, and yeah, obv. they feel great, play great, and sound great........but not not better.

MIA strat for about $600, new, bc burgundy mist was not a cool color then, even with the matching headstock. Texas special pickups too. Sam Ash unloaded it to me in 1994. One of the most expensive strats selling on Musicians Friend.....is the exact same guitar....same pickups too, sellig for $3849!!!! Yeha, I know its a re-issue and all that nonsense, but I doubt it sonds any different than mine. How can it? Its made from the same wood, metal, and same pickups from the factory? I even upgeaded to fender noiseless, and a much better bridge came stock than what they offer on this overpriced thig. All the specs are the same. My tuners are even more accurate than these POS's they give you. The only thing I dont have is the Custom Shop Stciker, and the Cert. of Authenticity. If those mean something to you, I think you are kind of a jerk off, and need to go back to collectiing baseball cards.

On a side note, what do you guys think of this color?
When I was a kid, I used to get clowned about it, but over 13 years, its grown on me, and I think its one of the coolest lookign guitars aroud.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Custom-Shop-58-Strat-Relic-Electric-Guitar-with-Matching-Headstock?sku=516745
Last edited by richgray5 at Mar 15, 2008,
Few suttle differences.. Quality of product and quality of wood...

Take a MIM and compare it to a American and you will see the difference. One noticable is the width of the body the American is thicker then the MIM and the MIM is thicker then the Squire...
I like strats but I hate how thats fenders main guitar... it seems like it is the only guitar they have. of course they have jaguars and stuff, but they need to stop relying so heavily on strats.

You get a guitar center magazine and the fender section has 3 pages of just strats and every modification you could ever want, and like 2 pages of teles and jaguars.
Hell you might as well buy a Squire and mod it... thats what Steve Rothery did

"At the end of the day a guitar is a piece of wood, there are good pieces of wood and there are bad pieces of wood"

The qoute goes something like that
I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
-Mohandas Gandhi
Quote by linknchuk
I like strats but I hate how thats fenders main guitar... it seems like it is the only guitar they have. of course they have jaguars and stuff, but they need to stop relying so heavily on strats.

You get a guitar center magazine and the fender section has 3 pages of just strats and every modification you could ever want, and like 2 pages of teles and jaguars.

You can't tell me that Fender isn't known for Strats. Its simple, its a really freaking popular guitar (for good reasons i might add), so how can you expect it to get equal airtime to something like a jag, or mustang, which are nowhere near as popular. Notice I didn't say "not as good", as that is a subjective thing, but it is painfully obvious that they are far less popular.

/rant

evening UG
Quote by hawk5211
You can't tell me that Fender isn't known for Strats. Its simple, its a really freaking popular guitar (for good reasons i might add), so how can you expect it to get equal airtime to something like a jag, or mustang, which are nowhere near as popular. Notice I didn't say "not as good", as that is a subjective thing, but it is painfully obvious that they are far less popular.

/rant

evening UG

opinions opinions opinions.
Im all about hot-rodding up guitars. You can soup up a Squire strat and
it will sound great. The only thing is that you can't just make up for the
density of a bigger or better body. I don't really look at guitar brands too
much when looking for a custom for me. I just decide what kind of music
I want to play it with. Then I find the body style. After that I decide from
playability. Thats how I choose a candidate for my custom.

I've hotrodded cheap guitars and they became fun to play. They may suit
your style of playing perfectly..but you cant make up for the quality of a
better guitar. Save your money and get the better guitar. I may sound like
a bit of a snob..but I learned the hard way.

$200 guitar+$500 mods=/= $700 guitar...especially after you mod it.

Throw a 3 inch exhaust and a turbo on that Honda Civic...
and that Porsche is still gonna embarrass you..
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Mar 15, 2008,
number of wood used for the body , pickups , nitro or poly finsh , trem , better craftsmanship .
well i havent played any vintage strats so i cant tell you if those are worth the money. but id assume that because they are old they are expensive because different time periods had different qualities and people want them and they want the original, not a re issue. plus, wood gets better with age.

now if we are tlaking the top end strats from today, personally i dont think its worth it. honestly, ive played MIM standards that sounded as good or better than MIA 1000+ strats.

its like when i bought my godin. it was under 500. i really loved it. the feel, the tone, just everything. so i thought id just compare it to the more expensive godins just for kicks. i went all the way up to the 900+ ones and you know what? my under 500 one sounded better than some or just as good.

now, some of the high end strats have different pickups and switching systems and what not. and i can understand these types of strats to be expensive. plus, i think you play more just because its a fender.
I went with American after playing my uncles MIA, I played my friends MIM and though it was very good, the MIA just felt so much better and sounded better.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
ive owned about 5 strats, 2 vintage, 1 american and 1 master built that i currently own and 1 MIM.

They were all great guitars, just that it was hard for me the find a MIM that played nicely and had a decent tone. Yes, i did change the pick ups, yes i did change the tuners, the wammy, the pots, the neck....

totalling around $500 for the upgrades. still did not play nicely as i would like it to. It just felt different, a little bit "stiff"

If you are a qualtiy ***** and a tone chaser, i would say look into MIA or Custom Shop or even masterbuilt or vintage...

MIMS = GREAT Guitars, however it would never be a guitar i could completely depend on.

[Gear]
1957 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom [gone ]
1958 Reissue Sunburst (Ice Tea)
1959 Reissue Sunburst (Cherry)
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG
50th Anniversary CS Masterbuilt Strat

Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by hawk5211
an "amazing strat" will have the wood, finish, and neck playability that a MIM will never have. No matter how much you mod an MIM you will never compete with a 62AV strat. Granted you can get decently close, but the nitro finish and the workmanship in those things make it sound so much better.

The QC on MIA strats is also better than the MIM ones, and I personally dislike the neck on the standard strats. I perfer my Strats neck!

if you're talking about the recent MIM strats then i agree. My '02 standard strat, on the other hand, has a much nicer neck than the current standards, it feels as good as any MIA i've played (I played 2 different, pro setup'd AV series strats and a robert cray sig to compare it to), and it cost me £240, as opposed to the £800+ I'd have had to pay for an american strat. It doesn't sound quite as good as the american strats, but with new pickups it probably will. It also feels very solid, and holds tuning un-naturally perfectly. My dad's friend who has owned several american strats over the last 30 years or so said it was one of the nicest strats he's ever played. MIM, standard. Maybe it was a diamond in the rough?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
mik strats are very good but the quality of a good american strat can´t be equalled.
i tried many back to back and have come to the conclusion that a REAL american strat is worth the extra bucks!
President of the Jeff Beck Club(PM me to join)

Sergeant Destroyer Member Of the KISS army

PM sloopy to join