I own an MXR GT-OD which is a great pedal - for the style I play it suits me to the ground and adds the perfect fatness to my Strat's tone. It also sounds great with my Les Paul, although I find the low end can get a bit muddy and inarticulate, especially at maximum dial settings.

I'm wondering if I should also consider a distortion pedal as well. I had a Digitech distortion factory, but I sold that to finance my MXR GT-OD, as I found it pretty much never left the overdrive setting. I never had the chance to try it on my LP as that's the newest thing in my inventory.

It seems everyone has a distortion pedal except for me - am I missing out by not having one? I'm only an occasional metal player, mainly dwelling in the realms of rock 'n' roll, and I play through a MEsa Boogie Lonestar or a Line6 Flextone (mainly the Fender amps).

Any thoughts?
Rock n' roll has alot of overdrive and distortion, if i had it my way id have both but i just have a DS-1 right now and it wont really do metal.
You need a different pedal for metal and i havent tried many.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Not necessarily. Crank the pedal to it's max, you'll find it gets pretty distorted.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
OD pedals work better with tube amplifiers than Solid State amps. thats what they were designed for, to overdrive the tubes...

Distortion pedals will usually sound better with solid state amps than an OD will
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
generally speking, i like to stick amp overdrive, and pedal distortion. and i usually run the dist through a clean channel, unless i'm aiming for something really crazy heavy. (which i rarely need)
Quote by LaGrange
Rock n' roll has alot of overdrive and distortion, if i had it my way id have both but i just have a DS-1 right now and it wont really do metal.
You need a different pedal for metal and i havent tried many.

DS-1 definately doesnt do metal... especially through my 20w crate and a fender guitar ive tried

but yeah, you dont really need a distortion with it, but it always adds to the possibilities of different sounds for making up new material
I breathe air.
you don't need a distortion pedal with either of those amps, but an OD will be useful for the Mesa,
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com