Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson went on a camping trip. After a good meal and a bottle of wine they lay down for the night, and went to sleep. Some hours later, Holmes awoke and nudged his faithful friend. "Watson, look up at thesky and tell me what you see."

Watson replied. "I see millions and millions of stars."

"What does that tell you?"

Watson pondered for a minute. "Astronomically, it tells me that there aremillions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Horologically, Ideduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three. Theologically,I can see that God is all powerful and that we are small and insignificant.Meteorlogically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. What does it tell you?"

Holmes was silent for a minute, then spoke. "Watson, you idiot, someone has stolen our tent!"

With that said...Sometimes the simple things jump up and bite you the worst.

I have about a million gadgets and gizmos that are supposed to make your guitar
produce the riffs of your dreams. No matter what i bought things got better but
there was always a bit of regret after buying these things. That was because I
still had just a little something missing. Well tonite...after thousands of dollars and
upgrades and selling amps and buying amps..I have finally found exactly what I
was missing. What was it?

It was a freakin Half Step!! I tuned down to Drop-Db (drop D flat) and I
got the sound I was always looking for. Br00tal palm mutes and great riffs.
All that time..dropping that half step seemed to trivial.

For all of you young players out there..take time to totally experiment with
your gear. Try everything you can with it. Don't just take your lower end guitar and
accept it as 2nd class. I realized tonite that my biggest prob was assuming that
better gear would automatically add something that is not there. Tonite I have
learned that gear does not =the sound you want. You may have limitations by the
stuff you play with now...but if you cant get the basic sound you want..the core..
you probably never will.

Of course a Mesa Boogie and a top of the line custom guitar will allow you to take
your sound into a whole new dimension...but my philosophy now is that you should
use better gear to flesh out the foundation you lay with your cheaper stuff.

Try every tuning available and learn every technique you can. Don't use the dreams
of better gear as a crutch...Learn from another players mistakes...

btw..scales and theory are the same thing...learning from the trials and errors of
the musicians before us. Don't neglect that either. That is most important.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Mar 15, 2008,
Cool, I might Drop down half a step too. I play in Drop D and it feels a bit lacking. Thanks.
Signature temporarily empty