View poll results: Which Amp?
Mesa Boogie DR Roadster
29 74%
Peavey JSX 212
5 13%
Laney 112
5 13%
Voters: 39.
Hey all. I got $2000 dollars from selling my violin and was thinking of buying a tube combo for better tone and portability, and I've narrowed down my choices.

Laney TT50-112 50W 1x12 - $1850 USD
Peavey JSX 212 120w - $1600
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 50w/100w - $2100

My style is mainly progressive metal and instrumental. Think Dream Theater, Paul Gilbert, and John Petrucci.

Any suggestions and other amps I didn't consider?
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Maybe look into getting a Bogner or something??? Out of what you posted I would get the Roadster.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Which Orange you suggest? I've played on a Tiny Terror and a Thunderverb (something like that) and it's great but I'm looking for combos. Are there any good and loud Orange combos for my style?

In that price range could probably get a new Mesa Mark IV 1x12 combo which if I'm not mistaken is the amp Petrucci uses. Out where I live theres one for $1800 CAD, so with the left over money you could buy a 2x12 cab if you wanted/needed to.
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
Last edited by Sirwinston89 at Mar 15, 2008,
Quote by Sirwinston89
In that price range could probably get a new Mesa Mark IV 1x12 combo which if I'm not mistaken is the amp Petrucci uses. Out where I live theres one for $1800 CAD, so with the left over money you could buy a 2x12 cab if you wanted/needed to.

Petrucci changes amps all the time..., but yeah he used Mark IV on one of the albums (i think)...
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
ive just bought a rockerverb100 over my engl and thats what id recommend

orange can do pretty much most things now with the latest models - even metal
petrucci uses mesa roadsters at the moment
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
I'd take the Roadster over a Mark IV. With the Roadster, you've got better cleans (the Lone Star's clean channels) and more versatile lead and rhythm channels. The Roadster will offer more than the Mark IV. The Mark IV is a great amp, I find it to be too compressed and almost box-y sounding when it's too dry.
Quote by Eggmond
petrucci uses mesa roadsters at the moment

He's using 2 Mark IV's at the moment. The roadster's you're thinking of is his guitar clinic rig for Mesa Boogie, and his Express setup is his rig for his Boss demo clinics.

On train of thought he only used the Roadking series 1. For octavarium he used the roadking for anything that required gain and the lonestar for the cleans.

You can find used roadkings for about $1,700, which is about the same price as a used Roadster.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Guitarmiester
I'd take the Roadster over a Mark IV. With the Roadster, you've got better cleans (the Lone Star's clean channels) and more versatile lead and rhythm channels. The Roadster will offer more than the Mark IV. The Mark IV is a great amp, I find it to be too compressed and almost box-y sounding when it's too dry.

By versatile I take it you mean at once, not overall?

The mark IV can get more sounds, but it's kind of limited by only having 1 lead channel, which you have to set up for both your rhythm and lead tones. The roadster/king has that whole seperate channel which you can dial in for leads, which IMO is it's advantage.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I would stay away from the JSX. When I tried it it the overdrive sounded really fuzzy
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by elchico04
I would stay away from the JSX. When I tried it it the overdrive sounded really fuzzy

I'm thinking you meant fizzy, not fuzzy. The JSX has a fizzy high end, but in a band setting you really don't notice it.
yeah thats what I meant. Thanks for correcting me.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
bogner... used diezel if you are extremely lucky...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Thanks for the feedback. I might be able to drive around the state and try out the amps suggested here and make a decision.