Im used to playing 25.5 scale length on my strat. I have smallish medium hands so I find it sometimes its hard to do certain chords or licks. Will moving to a 24.75 scale(les paul) make a difference? What matter more for small hands, neck thickness or scale length?
well, the scale length does not effect the thickness of your neck, just fret size, to a very small extent. as you stated, most, if not all fenders and fender owned companies used a 25.5 scale, which means the strings are longer, effecting your tone. where as gibson uses a 24.75 scale, the neck seems faster to some, however some of the worlds best shredders use a 25.5 scale, i.e. yngwie. really, scale length is a matter of personal preference.

hope this helps.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
It's a very small difference, but it is noticeable. I've heard its easier to bend on it too. I don't see how though.
Having a 24.75" scale guitar and a 25.5" scale, I can tell you that shorter scales are easier to bend than a standard 25.5" is, since the tension is lower. The 25.5 gives a brighter tone, but less bass, and vice versa with the 24.75.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The shorter scale is easier to play. And the frets are a little closer together on the shorter scale. What you need for smaller hands is a neck with a narrower nut. LPs are 1 11/16, most strats are to but strats can be had with a narrower 1 5/8. Or you can get a conversion neck from warmoth with a shorter scale that will fit on a strat with a narrower nut and thinner neck.