Hey guys, this is my first or second post on here so i hope this is the right place for what i'm about to ask.

I'm a big fan of musicians like David Gilmour who generally don't use alot of distortion in their lead tones, yet are very versitile with there overall tones. Right now, i've got a Marshall MG30DFX which i've seen be blasted on this forum (i'd like to also add that it was not my choice of amp, it was a suprise x-mas present).

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a decent amp thats under £200 / £250 that is more versatile and will get me a good... well... atleast a better Gilmour tone. I've heard good things about the Vox Valvetronix series and the AD50TV is in my price range. I've also heard that Roland Cubes are another good option (just so you know this will just be for solo practicing and possibly jamming so i won't be needing anything large wattage).

Also i heard from a different source that i should be looking at the E.H. Big Muff and a Compressor stomp box to enhance a Gilmour-like tone. would these be a possible good choice to enhance the tones in the future?

I'd also like to say i'm not the most fluent when it comes the different aspects and technical terms of amp and effects, so i'm sorry if i will come across as a little slow.

Finally, I know that the best thing to do would be to get to a place to try these pedals out, but i'm just hoping i could get some advice first since things like the setup will be different in the guitar shops and its also very hard to get to a decent guitar shop where i can test things from where i live.

Thanks for any help you can give me... Nice to see a forum who is open to help.

Cheers
Well firstly, THANK YOU FOR DOING SOME RESEARCH FIRST!

It's good to see people actually reading the forum, and getting some ideas The Vox you mentioned would probably be better than the Roland Cube, but you could also look at smaller valve amps - such as the Laney VC15, and then invest in a Big Muff/Compressor.
There's quite a few options for you actually
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
go for anything but a MG

dance!
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by Serjem
go for anything but a MG or spider

dance!

Fixed.
WHAT WERE YOU THINKING LEAVING A DOOR OPEN LIKE THAT?
ohai little sig.
Quote by cmakkidguitar
Well firstly, THANK YOU FOR DOING SOME RESEARCH FIRST!

It's good to see people actually reading the forum, and getting some ideas The Vox you mentioned would probably be better than the Roland Cube, but you could also look at smaller valve amps - such as the Laney VC15, and then invest in a Big Muff/Compressor.
There's quite a few options for you actually

Thank you... and yea, i didn't just wan't to come on here and get others to do all the hard work for me

*starts to perform an Irish Jig*
^ Yea, its good to see some people actually making good decisions based on HELP, and not actually just blasting in with 'lol, i are w4nt a Spid3r for t3h br00talz'

Definitely look at smaller tube amps - Laney is great value in England particularly (I'm guessing that's where you're situated)
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Quote by cmakkidguitar
^ Yea, its good to see some people actually making good decisions based on HELP, and not actually just blasting in with 'lol, i are w4nt a Spid3r for t3h br00talz'

Definitely look at smaller tube amps - Laney is great value in England particularly (I'm guessing that's where you're situated)

Yea, will do (and yep i'm in England)

Just wondering what about these... i've heard a few ripples of praise for Hiwatt Amps

Hiwatt Amps

I heard that Gilmour himself uses Hiwatt (though of a slightly better calibur :P
i've got a fender stage 1600 that is really versatile, because it's got reverb and some of the essential fx, such as delay, flanger, other stuff as well.
it cost me about $600, but i don't know what that is in...euros right?
anyway point is it's a really great versatile amp, though some players would discount it for not being a tube amp.
you can get any sound you want out of it, so long as you know what you're doing.
A Man Without Sorrow Is A Man Without Love
I can't get the link to work, but it says they're solid state, which GENERALLY isn't a good thing...
The better Hiwatt amps don't come cheap at all
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Quote by cmakkidguitar
I can't get the link to work, but it says they're solid state, which GENERALLY isn't a good thing...
The better Hiwatt amps don't come cheap at all

hmm... i'll see if i can get an active link

*edit*

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250115423054

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300183936327&mpt=1205588204194&tGUID=421a6c5d1180a0e181f40f24fff81d90

Ps, i don't know if this makes a difference, but i have a Zoom G2.1u pedal
thank you... I'm guessing the 15w would be enough as it is a valve amp?

Also i'm going to sound extremely retarded for asking this but as i have never used one... i think i should. Is there any difference in how to make a Valve amp work as opposed to a solid state / transistor amp... i heard something about heating that confused me.
Easily, as long as you dont plan on playing unmiced in huge stadiums.

Theres the standby process. Where you have to turn your amp first, let it warm up for 30 seconds and then switch the standby on... But its not a huge deal tbh, some amps dont even have standby switches because they arent really that necessary.
Yes, +1 to beckyjc. The VC15 will be plenty for your situation.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by beckyjc
Easily, as long as you dont plan on playing unmiced in huge stadiums.

Theres the standby process. Where you have to turn your amp first, let it warm up for 30 seconds and then switch the standby on... But its not a huge deal tbh, some amps dont even have standby switches because they arent really that necessary.

So you switch it on for 30 seconds at the main switch to heat up, then after that you switch on the standby switch and its active and ready? cool, cheers
Last edited by Asherman at Mar 15, 2008,
Pretty much, however, i do recall the VC15 not having a standby switch, so basically just turn it on, leave the volume down for 30 seconds then turn it up and play.