EDIT: PLEASE READ ENTIRE MESSAGE. Please do not request tremol-no's blocks. thats not what im asking.

Hey guys, just bought an Ibanez AANJ wizard neck. I am currently looking for an Ibanez fixed body on ebay, but they are very scarce to find them cheap. However, there are a ton of tremolo bodies on ebay. I know i could just buy a tremolo, but that costs a lot, then i'de have to get a tremol-no.

So my question is, is it possible to make a tremolo routed body Fixed without too much work(I mean like can you fill in the routing some way or another? What are the procedures?

Also, im not worried about the guitar's finish/ the way it looks, as i will sand it down a re-paint it.

Thanks!

Also is it possible to make a jackson or ESP body fit the AANJ Ibanez neck?
Last edited by GuitarEvan07 at Mar 15, 2008,
well, i tried blocking mine with a wooden block, because i have no job, but it's damn near impossible to keep it in tune like that, so maybe what you should do is look for an aftermarket fixed bridge..i know fender makes one that has flames cut out on it, but idk if it would fit an ibanez
A Man Without Sorrow Is A Man Without Love
No, it wouldn't, but thanks anyway! I'm looking strictly for Ibanez bodies(unless a jackson body or ESP would fit)
Quote by MattyMalice92
well, i tried blocking mine with a wooden block, because i have no job, but it's damn near impossible to keep it in tune like that, so maybe what you should do is look for an aftermarket fixed bridge..i know fender makes one that has flames cut out on it, but idk if it would fit an ibanez

haha eric clapton style with the wooden block

Search the web, my guitar teacher showed me something that you could convert from a tremolo to a fixed. I cant remember it though.
Quote by Birdy266
Otherkid your a genius

Silence is Golden But Duck Tape Is Silver

cream fanclub member 2

The Rabbi of Zeppelinism

Member #2 of the Red Sox Fanclub. PM Gibson06 to join.

to "Block" the tremolo, it shouldn't require a lot of serious woodworking...I've found that if you run ALL SIX Tremolo Springs in the back, then that's just as effective as Blocking the Tremolo, & I've also seen these things:

the way that would work, is that "Tremol-No" thing would go in-place of the center tremolo spring as like a "Solid-Bar" so the bridge can't move....in any direction......or buy better Machine Heads (Tuning Machines)...or Locking Machine Heads...you could try a Locking nut like a Floyd Rose/Kahler tremolo has there's like Locking String Retainers you can get that go up above the nut so you wouldn't have to File down the Nut section of your neck...there's a million different ways you could attack the issues...
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
I knew you guys would say this! Please REREAD my question and message.

READ:
However, there are a ton of tremolo bodies on ebay. I know i could just buy a tremolo, but that costs a lot, then i'de have to get a tremol-no.

So my question is, is it possible to make a tremolo routed body Fixed without too much work(I mean like can you fill in the routing some way or another?) What are the procedures?

I am not Looking to BLOCK my tremolo. I am looking how to fill the cavity of a tremolo and put a fixed bridge in. I DO NOT want to buy a tremolo and block it out. READ THE MESSAGE!

Thanks for trying to help though
This is confusing me. You say you don't want to buy a tremolo, and then ask how to take out a tremolo and convert it to a fixed bridge.

Why don't you just buy a fixed bridge guitar?
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
Will you just please read my original body?
"ask how to take out a tremolo and convert it to a fixed bridge"
What? I never said that. I said:
"So my question is, is it possible to make a tremolo routed body Fixed without too much work(I mean like can you fill in the routing some way or another"
I said tremolo ROUTED body. I didnt say how do I make my tremolo stay in place.
I also said:
"However, there are a ton of tremolo bodies on ebay. I know i could just buy a tremolo, but that costs a lot, then i'de have to get a tremol-no."
That means I have NO tremolo, and i dont want one. I want to know how to fill in the cavity/if you can, and put a fixed bridge in.

AND I said IM LOOKING FOR A FIXED BRIDGE IBANEZ BODY, AND THEY ARE HARD TO FIND ON EBAY AT A CHEAP PRICE. HOWEVER, THERE ARE A LOT OF TREMOLO ROUTED BODIES ON EBAY.

and i was asking if i can fill in the routing on a tremolo ROUTED body.
Quote by GuitarEvan07
I knew you guys would say this! Please REREAD my question and message.

READ:
However, there are a ton of tremolo bodies on ebay. I know i could just buy a tremolo, but that costs a lot, then i'de have to get a tremol-no.

So my question is, is it possible to make a tremolo routed body Fixed without too much work(I mean like can you fill in the routing some way or another?) What are the procedures?

I am not Looking to BLOCK my tremolo. I am looking how to fill the cavity of a tremolo and put a fixed bridge in. I DO NOT want to buy a tremolo and block it out. READ THE MESSAGE!

Thanks for trying to help though

I didn't see your edit while I was posting my initial reply. As far as too much work, nobody here can tell since each individual's capabilities are all relative.

You can fill in the routing but you'll still need solid chunks of wood because:
  • You'll need a solid base to install the fixed bridge
  • Grain filler or putty wouldn't be stable or strong enough as a base ... in fact, it could crack the finish.

Good Luck.
It would be alot of work to make the wood fit the hole right. And of course would need the right wood a 2x4 wont cut it. It would need to fit pretty precise. As previously said wood filler wont hold a bridge very well. And your still going to need to buy a fixed bridge etc. So if your on a budget it wont be the easiest project to do.
INCREDIBLE!!! dingaling edited his original post so many times and he shouts because he's not getting the response he wants. i'm surprised he's surprised he's getting varied responses.
Ok thanks guys. Do you think they sell like "Edge pro/edge 3 or w/e wooden blocks that literally fill the whole cavity up? Sounds like a good idea. ya know?
Oh...you might try uuuuh....Wood Puddy?!? I Don't know....or maybe like Automotive Bondo or like something like that....Or you could just put a Regular 6-Bolt Strat-Style Bridge/Tremolo on and just Tighten the living Fuk outta the six tremolo mounting screws....
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
Quote by GuitarEvan07
Will you just please read my original body?
"ask how to take out a tremolo and convert it to a fixed bridge"
What? I never said that. I said:
"So my question is, is it possible to make a tremolo routed body Fixed without too much work(I mean like can you fill in the routing some way or another"
I said tremolo ROUTED body. I didnt say how do I make my tremolo stay in place.
I also said:
"However, there are a ton of tremolo bodies on ebay. I know i could just buy a tremolo, but that costs a lot, then i'de have to get a tremol-no."
That means I have NO tremolo, and i dont want one. I want to know how to fill in the cavity/if you can, and put a fixed bridge in.

AND I said IM LOOKING FOR A FIXED BRIDGE IBANEZ BODY, AND THEY ARE HARD TO FIND ON EBAY AT A CHEAP PRICE. HOWEVER, THERE ARE A LOT OF TREMOLO ROUTED BODIES ON EBAY.

and i was asking if i can fill in the routing on a tremolo ROUTED body.

Okay, gotcha now.
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
No they dont make a ready made block of wood to fill in the cavities in a guitar body. First problem is there are a thousand slightly different designs of the same thing and so many woods used. So the parts supply would be a nightmare and no guarantee a block would fit right. Second problem is the guitar company would ask why does a person need this why didnt they just buy a fixed bridge guitar. There is an easy ready made way to fix the problem but you dont want to use it, tremolo-no. So either learn to work with what is available or make your own parts or be willing to pay for others to do it for you.
The wood block method can work but I did it differently on my old Jackson/Charvel. (I don't like the unstable nature of tremolo as strings can detune when you start bending other strings). Your Ibanez is most likely a floating tremolo system meaning it can go up or down in pitch. The method shown by IPPON won't work as well for that system as it cause the bridge to be tilted in the full tremolo pulled up/ bridge tilted back position and that could be uncomfortable and throw your intonation off. (It would work however for a Fender system :-) just fine).
What you can do is measure the distance between the tremolo block and spring bay side of the routed hole when the bridge is centered (floating) level off the guitar face. Cut a piece of hardwood (Maple Oake etc) out that can be wedged into this space after removing the tremolo springs. Then reinstall all the tremolo springs and ensure they are tight enough to hold the tremolo block firmly against the wood, even when you bend strings. You now effectively have a fixed bridge which is positioned correctly for intonation too.
Attachments:
Tremolo.jpg
Sorry, I just realized you were hoping to fill in the body!!! Way too hard my man. One, if you didn't fit in the wood perfectly, resonance would be seriously affected. Two, even if you managed to match the wood and get the perfect fit, you'd still have the challenge of attaching your bridge in the correct spot, with strings centered on the neck & pickup poles and proper distance from the nut for intonation. If you can't live with blocking your tremolo consider buying replacement body from Warmoth!