Here's the main question...anyone on here have troubles or had troubles with the tuning pegs on Fender basses? I have a Standard jazz(MIM) and a Geddy jazz. The Standard is a '92 and the Geddy is '07. I got the Standard off of Ebay and the Geddy from GC(new). I noticed the Standard had quite a bit of slop in the tuning pegs. Once it's tuned it stays tuned, it's just that when I turn the peg it feels like it does nothing at 1st. Say I'm tuning and the "A" string is sharp. I turn the peg to down-tune and the tension seems to just release...no tension at all. Then I turn the peg to tune"up" and it turns about 1-2 turns before it gets tension on it and bites the tuner to turn the peg. Did that make sense?(hard to explain).
Last night I changed the strings on my Geddy and the "E" strings started doing the same thing. Is this common for Fender tuning pegs? I haven't had a Fender since 1979 so I don't recall if the tuners were like that on the old Musicmaster or not. In fact I haven't played music since '79 so I'm not sure how the tuners should be.
Fender Geddy Lee, Precision (MIA), Fender Standard Jazz, Ibanez SR700, GK MB210 combo, GK 210MBE
I've never had that problem with my current bass (which are admittedly "Hipshot Licensed" Fender tuners) or my old bass which were cheaper versions of the Fender tuners. The only thing I can think of is that you have put the strings on incorrectly.
I love mine. They're really responsive for me- I can get tuning within one or two cents like it's a piece of cake.
I had that same problem on a Fernandes strat copy... but never on my American P-bass or my Mexican Jazz. The tuners always work well and hold a tuning for a week or more!
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
It sounds like it could a be a couple of things...

- Are your strings wound on the post so that none are on top of each other. That could result in the symptoms you're describing.

- You may need to get your tuners tightened. I had a problem on my '74 Precision that the tuners needed different amounts of force to tune them.

- MIM tuners aren't that great in my experience. It would be a thought to upgrade them.