Hello.
Got a question about scales. What are actually things called "key" and "root note" ?
And also how I'm supposed to remember all the notes in scale ? There are kind of "patterns" that repeat in each scale to help me remember the notes in there? I think it's not possible to learn every single note, string, fret from this

Cheers
Poor polish guitar player.
The key is the name of the root note you're scale is in.

For example the root note for the scale which is in the key of A is... stunningly: A.

So you start at A, and would then build op your scale from there.

Yes, there are returning patterns for your scale. You could just try to memorize them, and you would be able to play some cool solo's already. Yet, if you're more interested in music, and would like to understand "the why" of it all, I suggest you try to memorize which note is where in the scale.
But how does those patterns look actually?
Scales aren't patterns, they are sets of notes divided by intervals. The best way to learn scales, rather than memorizing positions, is to learn the notes and know where all of them are by building them up.
Yup.

First thing you need to do to get you on the long road of theory study is learn the notes on the fretboard.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
lol isn't possible to learn all the notes?

You don't even need to unless you're reading sheet music or you transfer between other non-fretted instruments often.

but yes.. it is possible lol -.-
Quote by TechnicolorType

Every single note from every single scale :>?
Quote by TechnicolorType
lol isn't possible to learn all the notes?

You don't even need to unless you're reading sheet music or you transfer between other non-fretted instruments often.

you need to know the notes on the guitar if you ever want to actually learn how to play it as opposed to just copying stuff.

Besides, at the end of the day there's only 12 of them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Azuro
Every single note from every single scale :>?

Not all the scales? o.O
There's tons of random scales people make.

I'm talking about the notes on the guitar.

Like knowing what every single note comes from every fret every string.

like a piano.
Quote by steven seagull
you need to know the notes on the guitar if you ever want to actually learn how to play it as opposed to just copying stuff.

No, you don't have to memorize every single note down the fretboard, you can play guitar easily and if writing something you'll still be able to play things in key and such.
most people can just listen to the note and know what it is.

and it isn't how many there are, it's where there at
like I said - like a piano.
Quote by steven seagull

+1. What I think Steven is trying to say is, do you want to be a guitarist or a musician?

Quote by steven seagull

Yep...

A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#

They repeat over-and-over and you start over at the octive.

Chris
Quote by TechnicolorType
No, you don't have to memorize every single note down the fretboard, you can play guitar easily and if writing something you'll still be able to play things in key and such.
most people can just listen to the note and know what it is.
and it isn't how many there are, it's where there at
like I said - like a piano.

I would dearly like to live in the magical land you are so fortunate to inhabit

You don't HAVE to do anything, but if you want to play guitar properly you need to understand how it works. Besides, the threadstarter's asking about scales, it's kind of difficult to learn scales without referring to notes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
You don't HAVE to do anything, but if you want to play guitar properly you need to understand how it works. Besides, the threadstarter's asking about scales, it's kind of difficult to learn scales without referring to notes.

Here, here.....well put +1 . When learning scales, learn the notes, not just the scale shapes. As you play the scale, say the notes out loud.

Chris
If you want to learn scales better, you should learn what intervals are, then it becomes much easier.
Check my profile for seeing my avatar a little bit bigger... u won't regret... it is no waste of seconds... ten seconds of your life... 30 heart punches of 1 000 000 000.
That's the spirit!!
Hello.
Got a question about scales. What are actually things called "key" and "root note" ?
And also how I'm supposed to remember all the notes in scale ? There are kind of "patterns" that repeat in each scale to help me remember the notes in there? I think it's not possible to learn every single note, string, fret from this

Cheers [/QUOTE

You don't need to learn theory to pick up some scales, at first, at least not intentionally. It's ok by me to picture scales as patterns as opposed to relationships. This pic above is every where on the fretboard, all the positons that the scale can be found in. Good to know for soloing and stuff in that scale, but you still need to start on one position at a time, get good at it, move to another position, ect. Then all this mess up there will mean something to you, and you can play around, improvise all over the place and have a lot of fun with it.
Scales ARE theory, there's no escaping that fact - if you're not learning the notes and are just learning patterns then you aren't actually learning scales.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc