After saving up some money, I've finally decided to buy some EMG pickups for my bass within the next week or so. However, I'm completely ignorant about pickups, so I have a quick question. Since they're just soapbar pickups, should I just get two and the difference in sound comes from their location on the body? There's no distinction on the site between "neck" and "bridge" pickups, so I'm just assuming this is the case.

Thanks in advance.
Some pickup sets are wound differently for the neck and bridge. As the bridge gets less vibrations, the bridge pickup is often hotter so they get a more balenced output.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I see. However, what if they're just being sold as individual pickups? Should I just buy 2 soapbars and replace the one's I've got, or would they both give off the exact same tone?
Quote by Hergiswi
I see. However, what if they're just being sold as individual pickups? Should I just buy 2 soapbars and replace the one's I've got, or would they both give off the exact same tone?

They won't give off the exact same tone, as positioning of the pickups has a lot to do with their sound (closer to the bridge has a higher proportion of harmonic content, so sounds brighter than the neck pickup in pretty much every bass). However, the neck pickup will be quieter, as it gets less vibrations than the neck pickup, hence the bridge normall being noticably hotter.

I would probably save up and look for a paired set. They are made to go together, so generally sound much more balenced, and complement each other far better than putting two fo the same pup in. This does of course depend on the manufacturer.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1