I've seen John frusciante playing "After Hours" by Velvet Underground but he changed to chords to make it sound the same but with more bluesy,jazzy feel...

How do i change a normal chord into a bluesy,jazzy chord with similar sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL4f4cmhbQ0

The Chords for After Hours normally are just

C, A7, Dm, G, Fm, C7, E7

while frusciante used

A# G7 C7 F7 A#7 D# F#

Thank you very much
at a glance, he played major (or dominant seventh) chords all over the place, forgetting about the minor ones
For one thing, he played it a full step lower than the original. If he played it in the same key, it would be

C A7 D7 G7 C7 F G#

I don't understand all of these substitutions, but I do know that I I7 IV bIV7 progressions are pretty common in jazz.
Last edited by werty22 at Mar 15, 2008,
i think a lot of it is to do with the voicing of the chord. He is playing one note on the B string that decends chromatically. You wouldn't get that same sound using the standard CAGED system. So its mainly to do with the voicing i think, as you can play the same chord in lots of different places on the neck, but get a totally different sound/feel.
+Fender 50th Anniversary USA Stratocaster (HSS + S1 Switch)
+Gibson Les Paul Studio (Vintage Mahogany)
+Squier Standard Stratocaster
+Fender DG14S Acoustic Guitar
+Peavey Bandit 112 Amp
what werty means is a full step lower.

And hes just putting the song into the context of a swing-era style song, and then throwing out the minors, and adding the turnaround.
Quote by PinkFloyd73
what werty means is a full step lower.

And hes just putting the song into the context of a swing-era style song, and then throwing out the minors, and adding the turnaround.

So, i just play a full step lower chords than the original and add 7th into minors? What do you mean by adding the turnaround?

Thanks, and sorry for being not knowledgable
A turnaround is just something at the end of a section of music that leads into the next section. There are some commonly used ones such as:

vi-ii-V
V/ii-ii-V
vi-bVI7#11-V (this is one of my favorites)

And resolving back to the tonic chord (I) from the dominant seventh chord (V7) is a good, simple way (if a little conventional) to throw in a blues element.
Quote by :-D
A turnaround is just something at the end of a section of music that leads into the next section. There are some commonly used ones such as:

vi-ii-V
V/ii-ii-V

And resolving back to the tonic chord (I) from the dominant seventh chord (V7) is a good, simple way (if a little conventional) to throw in a blues element.

Sorry but i cant understand what it means by
vi-ii-V
V/ii-ii-V

i know its chord progression but how do i read?

Sorry
Sure, no problem, they're just Roman numerals representing the degrees of the scale. Lowercase represent minor chords, uppercase are major; so for example in C major you'd have:

1. Am-Dm-G
2. G/Dm-Dm-G
3. Am-Ab7#11-G
Ohh, i understand now. It is formed using the circle of fifth right?

Thanks
Quote by oreodunk
Ohh, i understand now. It is formed using the circle of fifth right?

Thanks

In general, the Circle of Fifths is used to determine the relationships between certain diatonic scales, so in a sense you are correct, yes. However, these relationships between chords have more to do with harmonic tendencies within one specific key.
It's basically the idea that the human ear naturally wants to hear certain chords resolve to specific other chords, so that a progression will sound "correct". Different progressions and resolutions will be interpreted differently by the human ear, so that's why you'll associate certain progressions with a blues sound, a jazz sounds, etc.
Alright, thanks
Do you know of any website that shows many different kind of chord progression? Thanks once again ^^
Use the E mixolydian mode while playing that song and I think you got it.

My problem I have is I sound like the blues too much and I want to sound hard rock with a bit of British sound to them.
It's A Long Ways To The Top If You Want To Rock & Roll

Guitars: Cort g260 w/Vintage strat pickups, Standard Sg coming soon.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.
Traynor YCV CLASSIC 40 WATT ALL TUBE AMP 2x10 COMBO.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.